• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media The suspicions have been proven true; Izzy is going all out on his wrestling domination of Pereira

The wrestling Izzy pulled out in the last fight, was some of the worst I've seen in a championship bout.

The crazy thing is that perreira had no answer for it. Thats how bad these two are on the ground.

If he does then he'll most likely gas out, Izzy is not used to that kind of pace while grappling and that's why slowed down in the fourth.
He needs to mix in the occasional takedown to establish the threat and used it to set up his strikes, Bruno Silva got some good success against Alex with this.
Truth, the Alex fight was the first time I've seen Izzy breathing hard and that was with just a little wrestling in it.

Last edited:
Well he lost 3 striking matches to Alex, his only really chance of winning is through improving his wrestling. I highly doubt it will be enough though.

The more time that goes by, the more time Alex can prepare too, he wasn’t exactly lost on the mat , at least compared to Izzy. They’re both so amateurish at it that more TDD by Alex can only create a more significant gap in skills between the two.

Once again, this fight is hard to pick.

The trouble is IMHO that besides being bigger I think Alex seems like he has better natural wrestling ability to me, he's looked pretty strong in the clinch so far.

Izzys only sucess grappling last time was due to reversing an Alex takedown and then playing on his lack of sub grappling expereince.

Truth, the Alex fight was the first time I've seen Izzy breathing hard and that was with just with a little wrestling he did.
Gastelum fight as well. Any high intensity/pace/volume fight will gas him. He doesn't gas in most fights because it's usually very low volume/pace/intensity since he's just fighting from long range mostly and has his opponents stuck at that range and they don't know how to get past Izzy's leg kicks and counters. So it's a lot of them standing in front of each other with Izzy feinting and throwing leg kicks and punches here and there. That type of fight won't gas Izzy at all, that's why he's fresh after 5 rounds with that kind of fight.

Izzy gasses out if he uses a heavy wrestling style of game plan, he isn't built for that style of fight. He may have success early

Usually some of those Jon Jones picograms are needed to have the strength and endurance to grapple with that skinny physique.

Izzy gasses out if he uses a heavy wrestling style of game plan, he isn't built for that style of fight. He may have success early

Relying on wrestling would be a terrible idea. Alex is stronger and it's not like Adesanya will have a significant technical edge. Opportunistic takedowns are fine, but forcing the issue will just make him gass. He showed he can hurt Alex and would be better served trying to finish the fight early, while he still has a speed advantage.

The trouble is IMHO that besides being bigger I think Alex seems like he has better natural wrestling ability to me, he's looked pretty strong in the clinch so far.

Izzys only sucess grappling last time was due to reversing an Alex takedown and then playing on his lack of sub grappling expereince.

This. Izzy tried to wrestle Alex the first fight and never came close to taking him down. The only time he had success was reversing one of Alex's own TD attempts something Alex probably wont do again.

My guess is Alex comes in with better defense. He seemed caught off guard in the last fight. It's not like Izzy has no chance winning a stand up war since he was winning most of it. Going 0-3 standing isn't good odds though. Even though he was winning 2 before getting KOd you'd can't say that's a fluke that Alex has been able to pull that off twice.

Frozen like Elsa and fighting a bear like DiCaprio
<45>

If Israel gets on top he could have a lot of success, but his takedown ability didn't look good in their first fight. If he tries too hard it could end up like Rockhold vs Jan, where he wastes all his energy on failed takedown attempts and gets ktfo

Grappling heavy would be a bad idea. Izzy can outstrike this guy.

It's MMA so this should've been priority from the get go. Not sure why all these striking virgins want to hate. If the man has a piston of a left hook and the grappling chops of a blue belt. The road to victory is clear. GnP until sub.

This. Izzy tried to wrestle Alex the first fight and never came close to taking him down. The only time he had success was reversing one of Alex's own TD attempts something Alex probably wont do again.

I have a feeling that the first fight may have been Izzy best chance personally, to me it looked like Alex had the edge on him both standing and wrestling wise but left some openings which almost allowed Izzy to pull off a win before they finally told late in the fight.

I spose the big difference could be if Izzy really goes for the legs more with takedowns but I have my doubts he'd be able to build up a game like that at this stage of his career.

Striking wise my feeling is actually that Izzy should try to be more mobile, not easy against Alex who is quite fast with a strong lowkick game but I think his normal style of letting opponent throw at him and looking for counters may just to be too dangerous here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back