• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Striking of Conor McGregor (with GIF's) -- RETRO BUMP

He's standing straight up and down and his footwork is average. Alot of moving backwards instead of side to side. No head movement.

conor_zps52b3795f.gif

I keep seeing this photo show up in this thread. Who are the fighters? And what is the story behind the picture? Also, how does it pertain to Conor?

It's McGregor vs Ivan Buchinger, McGregor was the reigning FW champ of cage contenders and moved up to fight Buchinger for the LW title and schooled him on the feet, Buchinger had a fairly decent rep too (21-3 at the time, had only been T/KO'd once)

It's McGregor vs Ivan Buchinger, McGregor was the reigning FW champ of cage contenders and moved up to fight Buchinger for the LW title and schooled him on the feet, Buchinger had a fairly decent rep too (21-3 at the time, had only been T/KO'd once)

Thanks for clueing me in.

I really like the way Conor's body looks at lightweight better. Looks a little thicker but still carries the speed.

He's 5'8 I believe too. Good height for him at lightweight when he can't make 145 any longer.

Its funny the way some people think 'good head movement' has to mean constantly bobbing your head around like a gurning E head. You have been listening too much to Goldberg.

McGregor moves his head when he needs to.

He does seem to have good striking but he's fighting a UFC newcomer that impatiently bull rushed him the whole time and the Cage Warrior guys aren't exactly the most tested either. Let's hold off on "the best striker" references until further notice. He has the ability but we really should wait and see who he looks against better competition that could possibly take advantage of some holes first (possibly his striking defense).

He does seem to have good striking but he's fighting a UFC newcomer that impatiently bull rushed him the whole time and the Cage Warrior guys aren't exactly the most tested either. Let's hold off on "the best striker" references until further notice. He has the ability but we really should wait and see who he looks against better competition that could possibly take advantage of some holes first (possibly his striking defense).

The one that is a fuckload sounder than 99.9% of MMA fighters?

This stupidity never ends, even after all these pages of lecturing to "derp hands up" noobs. This place is unbelievable.

Damn Conor, toot your own horn much?

I really like the way Conor's body looks at lightweight better. Looks a little thicker but still carries the speed.

He's 5'8 I believe too. Good height for him at lightweight when he can't make 145 any longer.

5'8.. 145... that's doable forever

Can you elaborate, I really don't see a single similarity.

Look how high and far from his head his guard is in the first gif, that offers poor protection against hooks, front kicks/kicks to the body. Nate and Nick use similar guards.

Then look how his chin is just hanging there clear for the taking in the 5th and 6th gifs as he's landing combinations.

nicksmith_zps1569b7b5.gif

I'm guessing he has a good chin to go along though, because he'll get hit a lot by decent strikers, as do the Diaz.

Look how high and far from his head his guard is in the first gif, that offers poor protection against hooks, front kicks/kicks to the body. Nate and Nick use similar guards.

Then look how his chin is just hanging there clear for the taking in the 5th and 6th gifs as he's landing combinations.

nicksmith_zps1569b7b5.gif

I'm guessing he has a good chin to go along though, because he'll get hit a lot by decent strikers, as do the Diaz.
They don't strike similarly at all. Yes his hands were out somewhat like Diaz's for a moment in the first gif but that's about it. To use combinations you have to throw multiple strikes while staying in striking range. You're in a lot less danger when you use them at the right time.

Look at the gif you posted. You really think they stand or throw punches like each other? Look at the 5th gif. He steps back twice to get out of danger and the combos he's throwing are crisp. He fights nothing like Diaz.

They don't strike similarly at all. Yes his hands were out somewhat like Diaz's for a moment in the first gif but that's about it. To use combinations you have to throw multiple strikes while staying in striking range. You're in a lot less danger when you use them at the right time.

Look at the gif you posted. You really think they stand or throw punches like each other? Look at the 5th gif. He steps back twice to get out of danger and the combos he's throwing are crisp. He fights nothing like Diaz.

I'm judging just from his sole UFC fight, I haven't watched any of his other fights. That other black & white gif that was posted by another guy was far more impressive than anything he displayed against Brimage.

And obviously the very definition of combinations is that you throw multiple punches, but that doesn't mean you should leave your chin completely exposed the whole time, especially if it's not a full speed flurry.

Im a big fan of mcgregor. The southern irish the last rebels but people need to chill out. Hes one fight in, lets see if he can string together 5 before we start the hype

I'm judging just from his sole UFC fight, I haven't watched any of his other fights. That other black & white gif that was posted by another guy was far more impressive than anything he displayed against Brimage.

Oh come on, those uppercuts against Brimage were so accurate, well timed that they were a thing of beauty. Give the man his dues.

Back