'The Streak' on ESPN2

Lapu-Lapu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, there is a doc on ESPN2 right now about the longest streak in HS sports, Brandon High School wrestling streak of 30 years. It ends in like 15 minutes but I figured I'l llet people know. If you know about the streak, specially if you lived in Florida, its a really interesting doc.

I just watched it. Pretty interesting. I have heard of them not wrestling all the best teams, thats why they went from 459-0.

I just watched it. Pretty interesting. I have heard of them not wrestling all the best teams, thats why they went from 459-0.

I am not sure about HS athletic rules but as far as I know teams are pretty much limited to playing the local teams. I.E. for district ranking etc...

That being said over time they had invited out of state teams as well as other Flroida teams to its own tourney year after year as well as travelling to other states to compete in some tourneys.

IIRC they took 2nd in BEAST of the EAST tourney a few years back which from what I understand is one of the toughest HS tourney in the US.

That being said, a tourney does not reflect on dual meet record.

To their credit they actually had a dual meet tourney with some of the best teams in the state, which they lost in january, thus ending the 30+ year winning streak.

I thought for some reason it was tonight so I missed it. Anyone know if it airs again soon?

I watched that. They looked alright, but teams like Blair, St. Ed's, or St. Paris Graham would destroy, if not shut them out in a dual meet

I watched that. They looked alright, but teams like Blair, St. Ed's, or St. Paris Graham would destroy, if not shut them out in a dual meet

Again, look at the Ironman results as well as results from the beast of the east tourney where those teams competed and IIRC Brandon took 2nd with a couple of 1st place guys and others placing in the top 4.

BTW good article by USA today.

Massive win streak finally falls on wrestling mat - USATODAY.com

Home

this was back in 2003 finished 2nd behind Blair and ahead of 4th place St paris grahm
and 3rd place saint ed

again not every team every year had GREAT wrestlers but somehow they managed to win. This past year they gradated several state placers and were vunerable as South Dade proved.

Brandon - 183.00 Points

they had 8 of 14 place in the top 6 ( 7 of them top 3)in a 30 team field.

PS I used to HATE them because I had 3 brothers that wrestled for a rival team and they had to face them every year.

Now that I am older I can appreciate what they have done.

IIRC they took 2nd in BEAST of the EAST tourney a few years back which from what I understand is one of the toughest HS tourney in the US.

Umm , theres like a million of those. but i know what one youre talking about. the real one.

Umm , theres like a million of those. but i know what one youre talking about. the real one.

Yep the real one...LOL
:)

As a point of reference they DID place 6 state champs in the FL HS state tourney the year they were 2nd in the ironman but it is not like all 14 guys walk in and walk all over all the wrestlers in Florida.

There are SOME talented teams out there its just that most of them on the Tampa side end up going to Brandon.

lol... they all just somehow end up going to Brandon........

They probably do their fair share of recruiting like most of the top wrestling schools in the nation.

Even with their recruiting they do have the best kids program in the state and start kids wrestling at like 8

They probably do their fair share of recruiting like most of the top wrestling schools in the nation.

Exactly.
It wouldnt be odd to see a good regional wrestler from say, Orlando area that was young all of a suddne end up at brandon as a soph and by the time he was a senior end up a state contender.

Same with local talent. I remember seeing a decent kid at a different school end up the following year at brandon in "as it happened" a weight class of need.

Not just MY observations but I believe a few years ago there were some articles in the paper conerning possible recruiting allegations and FINALLY, there are private schools that can have 7-8 grade wrestle because they are private schools and therefore can compete with the HS kids. By the time some of them hit 9th/10th grade and already have a FULL 2 years of wrestling HS opponents they end up in Brandon.

SOMETIMES
;)

Remember Public schools are 9th-10th grade and USUALLY the kids coming in have little wrestling experience versus HS competition. In the case of the private school transfers they already have 2 years grappling head start against the same level of competition. IMO a HUGE benefit.

I saw it last night. Very good documentery. It's cool to see the people involved in the actual story.

I missed it, anyone know of a replay time?

Back