1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The Sticky Belt Advantage - it's OK for Jon Jones to remain champ

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KBE6EKCTAH_CCP, Feb 9, 2020.

1. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

What people don't really understand is that there is this implicit rule that the reigning champion gets an implicit one round advantage against the challenger.

Anybody who isn't blind scored this 3-2 in favour of Reyes, but JJ has that Sticky Belt Advantage ("SBA") meaning that the fight becomes an implicit 2-2, and the balance becomes judged subjectively.

We see this times and times again, not only in combat sports but also in all areas of life, let it be politics, business, etc...the reality is that the ground is uneven and as a challenger you are going to fight an uphill battle.

I think that maybe if Reyes had been more humble, had been the bigger man and gave a little bit more in the 4th and the 5th, he would have overcome the SBA and become champion.

2. AimedWithV Wound in the Force

Like Jones?

3. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

Look bro I know it sucks but I am just telling it like it is. The world isn't fair.

4. AimedWithV Wound in the Force

If anything, the unfair-ness of the world is not because Jones is a champ. Mighty Mouse also was a champ.
    It might have to do with Jones being one of the company's biggest draws+the company's most active draw.

5. Break Brick Black Belt

True, but we can at least aim for fairness within the bounds of competitions based on a set scoring criteria right? Last night pretty much proved that somethings aren't fair, but it's fine to be a little miffed/outraged given the circumstances.

6. DLX thpinal

All I know is the one judge that had it 4:1 should be dismissed. That was a disgraceful card with a pretty clear bias.

7. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Yeah I can think of a few cases like that.

8. Justinboxing Banned Banned

images (5).jpeg
    If Reyes brought more money than Jones, he would be champ right now.

9. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

4-1 is ridiculous. The SBA is usually only a one round advantage.

But still it means as the challenger you need to win by KO to be on the safe side.

10. pseto223 Blue Belt

I kinda agree that that the challenger should take it, not try to squeek out a decision. But Reyes tried to take it in the first three. He was meaning business with his punches, not point figting. It's just that Jones' chin is so good.

I don't see anyone beating him soon if that's the scoring criteria - you lose a belt only if you are knocked out.

11. RespekBA White Belt

really hoping your own acronym takes off over there aren't you LOL. It's usually known as a champion's advantage.

12. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

Oh shit. You think we can coin "SBA"?

13. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

I think we should coin the SBA. It s real.

14. Ackmed Red Belt

The greater the # of title defences the stickier is the SBA.

Judges expect Jones to win and are scared of possibly being the judge to not get the scores "right" so they score in greater favour of JJ.

They're willing to be fair for the first round but by round 2 it's hard to score in Reyes favour unless they're sure that Jones will get a finish or win the next 3 rounds decisively enough to make up for it

Handwriting rounds 3 onwards helps in case a judge needs to erase and re-score a prior round to keep the sticky belt from changing

15. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

I knew you'd know what's up.

16. Captain Herb 10000 Likes

Unfortunately true. Jones used to get all the draw rounds but now he's getting rounds that he clearly lost. I think the psychology is that if a challenger takes a clear first round (Gus 1, Santos, Reyes), there's no way the judges are going to give round two to the challenger if it's at all close because that ties their hands if the challenger has a big round in the next three and they don't want to be the one to score a decision against Jones.

17. ifindgifsforjackslack Purple Belt

Sticky belt is when you don’t clean up after masturbating and you hide your chub in the belt of your pants. But I guess you can use it too