The Sticky Belt Advantage - it's OK for Jon Jones to remain champ

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
What people don't really understand is that there is this implicit rule that the reigning champion gets an implicit one round advantage against the challenger.

Anybody who isn't blind scored this 3-2 in favour of Reyes, but JJ has that Sticky Belt Advantage ("SBA") meaning that the fight becomes an implicit 2-2, and the balance becomes judged subjectively.

We see this times and times again, not only in combat sports but also in all areas of life, let it be politics, business, etc...the reality is that the ground is uneven and as a challenger you are going to fight an uphill battle.

I think that maybe if Reyes had been more humble, had been the bigger man and gave a little bit more in the 4th and the 5th, he would have overcome the SBA and become champion.

Look bro I know it sucks but I am just telling it like it is. The world isn't fair.

If anything, the unfair-ness of the world is not because Jones is a champ. Mighty Mouse also was a champ.
It might have to do with Jones being one of the company's biggest draws+the company's most active draw.

Look bro I know it sucks but I am just telling it like it is. The world isn't fair.
True, but we can at least aim for fairness within the bounds of competitions based on a set scoring criteria right? Last night pretty much proved that somethings aren't fair, but it's fine to be a little miffed/outraged given the circumstances.

All I know is the one judge that had it 4:1 should be dismissed. That was a disgraceful card with a pretty clear bias.

Yeah I can think of a few cases like that.

images (5).jpeg
If Reyes brought more money than Jones, he would be champ right now.

All I know is the one judge that had it 4:1 should be dismissed. That was a disgraceful card with a pretty clear bias.

4-1 is ridiculous. The SBA is usually only a one round advantage.

But still it means as the challenger you need to win by KO to be on the safe side.

I kinda agree that that the challenger should take it, not try to squeek out a decision. But Reyes tried to take it in the first three. He was meaning business with his punches, not point figting. It's just that Jones' chin is so good.

I don't see anyone beating him soon if that's the scoring criteria - you lose a belt only if you are knocked out.

really hoping your own acronym takes off over there aren't you LOL. It's usually known as a champion's advantage.

The greater the # of title defences the stickier is the SBA.

Judges expect Jones to win and are scared of possibly being the judge to not get the scores "right" so they score in greater favour of JJ.

They're willing to be fair for the first round but by round 2 it's hard to score in Reyes favour unless they're sure that Jones will get a finish or win the next 3 rounds decisively enough to make up for it

Handwriting rounds 3 onwards helps in case a judge needs to erase and re-score a prior round to keep the sticky belt from changing

The greater the # of title defences the stickier is the SBA.

Judges expect Jones to win and are scared of possibly being the judge to not get the scores "right" so they score in greater favour of JJ.

They're willing to be fair for the first round but by round 2 it's hard to score in Reyes favour unless they're sure that Jones will get a finish or win the next 3 rounds decisively enough to make up for it

Handwriting rounds 3 onwards helps in case a judge needs to erase and re-score a prior round to keep the sticky belt from changing

I knew you'd know what's up.

What people don't really understand is that there is this implicit rule that the reigning champion gets an implicit one round advantage against the challenger.

Anybody who isn't blind scored this 3-2 in favour of Reyes, but JJ has that Sticky Belt Advantage ("SBA") meaning that the fight becomes an implicit 2-2, and the balance becomes judged subjectively.

We see this times and times again, not only in combat sports but also in all areas of life, let it be politics, business, etc...the reality is that the ground is uneven and as a challenger you are going to fight an uphill battle.

I think that maybe if Reyes had been more humble, had been the bigger man and gave a little bit more in the 4th and the 5th, he would have overcome the SBA and become champion.
Unfortunately true. Jones used to get all the draw rounds but now he's getting rounds that he clearly lost. I think the psychology is that if a challenger takes a clear first round (Gus 1, Santos, Reyes), there's no way the judges are going to give round two to the challenger if it's at all close because that ties their hands if the challenger has a big round in the next three and they don't want to be the one to score a decision against Jones.

Sticky belt is when you don’t clean up after masturbating and you hide your chub in the belt of your pants. But I guess you can use it too

Back