The Step Through Pass

Tried this pass and got 50/50ed. How do you avoid this?

Would love more detail on no-gi version as well.

there are a couple ways to avoid this. First of all if you plant their feet on the floor like I show in the in instructional then it will be difficult for you to get caught in 50/50. Keep in mind that I do it this way in the instructional but NOT in the competition video.

the easiest way to avoid 50/50 is to rep the hell out of this and get better with your space management.

also I will film the no gi version next time I film techniques.

Thanks for the vid. Been using this pass for a couple years, nice to see some more details. I can usually manage to shoot 50/50 when people try this on me, but as you said, I think more leg control will help avoid that.

Well, it works. I was able to hit it on a purple belt this morning and got a "Did you really just do that?" look when I got to KOB. It was the high point of my hour long beat down along with that embarrassing pass straight to mount when you thrust your hips forward haha. I tried it again after a reset with him having control of my right lapel, but as soon as I went to slide my leg in I was caught off balance and dropped straight to my knee, which led to a bit of a scramble and me having to pull half guard. If I remember correctly he pulled down on the lapel and caught my planted leg with his foot to sweep me down. Should I have a wider stance or maybe it's just me still not having the greatest balance?

Well, it works. I was able to hit it on a purple belt this morning and got a "Did you really just do that?" look when I got to KOB. It was the high point of my hour long beat down along with that embarrassing pass straight to mount when you thrust your hips forward haha. I tried it again after a reset with him having control of my right lapel, but as soon as I went to slide my leg in I was caught off balance and dropped straight to my knee, which led to a bit of a scramble and me having to pull half guard. If I remember correctly he pulled down on the lapel and caught my planted leg with his foot to sweep me down. Should I have a wider stance or maybe it's just me still not having the greatest balance?

Break the lapel grip before you try the pass.

Thanks for this.

i have learned another version of this in the past and this seems like it clears up a lot of problems I was having with it. will experiment with it and report back.

Thanks for posting this vid. We trained this at our gym on Saturday and I really like it a lot.

I drilled this pass for the past week and have had good results with it. Especially when I have sleeve control and can pull on their arms.

nice pass. i will have to add this one..

TTT. I need a lot more work on this one!! Tried a ton in class only hit it a couple times..... Stomped my poor opponents nuts a lot tho.

TTT. I need a lot more work on this one!! Tried a ton in class only hit it a couple times..... Stomped my poor opponents nuts a lot tho.

yeah I got someone over the weekend in the nuts trying this.

Good video as always. I picked up this pass years ago when Christian Graugart posted a video of a teammate using it a bunch of times in a no-gi tournament. They had bet him a beer for each time he got it to work, and they must have got drunk as hell that night. Later I saw Gustavo Dantes teach it in his DVD set. It's a perfect companion to anyone's standing pass game, working in combination with old faithfuls like the bullfighter, kneeslide, leg drag, etc.

great pass gerbil. cant wait to try your tips when i fully recover

Awesome news,

Will you link it in this thread??

I will probably make a new thread titled "no gi step through pass"

I have another month of techniques already filmed that will be posted before I film more. I will film it during the next batch of videos though.

Thanks, that is a nice looking pass. That match you posted was pretty nice.

Back