The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 weeks until season 2 of Discovery! Make sure to check out the Short trek episodes before the season starts. They have been fantastic. Last one, we discovered how Saru became the first of his species to join star fleet. Next episode features Mudd

Really hope they invest in making the right look&feel. Orville is doing such an amazing job and even if 'Picard' is gonna be a dark series (it might be), I hope it diverges from the Disco feel.

We are 32 days out from season 2, and CBS just released a new trailer.

Also my wife surprised me last week with this fantastic item:

384267a.jpg

They actually opened a think geek store in the mall nearby. I checked it out while Xmas shopping, but they didn't have a ton of star trek stuff in stock yet. I'm waiting for the TNG Bridge lamp to go onsale

Had to Google, that's pretty cool stuff.

What an atrocity. I hope CBS loses shit tons of money on this.
it only turned out to be one of the best Star Trek productions of all time. Running it on their on-demand channel, with no Amazon or Hulu option is greedy, but the series is so good, it's working.

Wow, German site scifinews.de did an interview with the developer of the tardigrade video game who is plausibly claiming plagiarism regarding Discovery.

Both German and English version here:

https://www.scifinews.de/news/serie...s-klage-gegen-cbs-star-trek-discovery-r13488/
no joke, at least 25% of the sci-fi movies and tv shows i want bear a resemblance to something I wrote in high school or college and shared widely. but I'm pretty sure that while I lost my notebooks, no one is out there profiting from my ideas. And by ideas, I mean fairly specific ideas. But it's sci-fi, and most of us can only imagine about 3 degrees separation from where we stand, which is why people like Asimov stand out, because their imagination took them 30-60 years into the future. The basic elements of Discovery aren't new sci-fi concepts. It's just executed uniquely through dialogue and character development.

So they use tardigrades? As for the characters phenotypes- every Star Trek crew has a black guy with a beard, a white guy white with a beard, a blonde chick, a black chick and a redhead chick. LOL.

He'll have an uphill battle. He will go broke before he sees a penny.

it only turned out to be one of the best Star Trek productions of all time. Running it on their on-demand channel, with no Amazon or Hulu option is greedy, but the series is so good, it's working.
It is garbage, and it shits all over cannon. I hate it.

no joke, at least 25% of the sci-fi movies and tv shows i want bear a resemblance to something I wrote in high school or college and shared widely. but I'm pretty sure that while I lost my notebooks, no one is out there profiting from my ideas. And by ideas, I mean fairly specific ideas. But it's sci-fi, and most of us can only imagine about 3 degrees separation from where we stand, which is why people like Asimov stand out, because their imagination took them 30-60 years into the future. The basic elements of Discovery aren't new sci-fi concepts. It's just executed uniquely through dialogue and character development.

So they use tardigrades? As for the characters phenotypes- every Star Trek crew has a black guy with a beard, a white guy white with a beard, a blonde chick, a black chick and a redhead chick. LOL.

He'll have an uphill battle. He will go broke before he sees a penny.

I agree that his chances to actually get money are slim as he is facing a whole army of highly skilled and highly paid corporate lawyers, but I think he certainly does have a compelling case in the sense of 'did writers take his stuff?'

Yet then there is this analysis:

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/201...e-star-trek-discovery-plagiarism-allegations/

Alex Kurtzman Talks Canon And Patrick Stewart’s Influence On Star Trek Picard Show
stewart-stlv-header-sized.jpg

| JANUARY 3, 2019 | BY: TREKMOVIE.COM STAFF 34 COMMENTS SO FAR

It’s 2019, which means the new CBS All Access Star Trek series featuring Patrick Stewart’s return to the role of Jean-Luc Picard is coming this year. We still don’t know a lot about the show, but we are now learning more about how it came to be and how involved the star of the show is in his return to the 24th century.

Stewart wants to protect Next Genlegacy
In a new interview with DigitalSpy, executive producer Alex Kurtzman acknowledged that it wasn’t easy to convince Sir Patrick to return to the role, saying, “…getting him to say yes was its own amazing thing.” The man in charge of expanding Star Trek for television also gave some details on what motivated Stewart’s change of heart:

“Patrick needed to make sure that we were coming from the right place and that we wanted to protect what Next Gen means to so many people, and what his character, specifically, means to so many people. And that was really about several conversations back and forth, exploring his instincts, our instincts. Ultimately our job is to make him feel comfortable and safe and to protect the show and shield it from anything that would break it in the wrong way.”

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation

Stewart is hands-on
Sir Patrick is also an executive producer on the new show, and from the way Kurtzman describes it, the star is very much involved in crafting this Star Trek: The Next Generationfollow-up series.

“He was there [in the writers’ room] for two weeks at the beginning of the experience, sitting with the writers. Everybody was talking together about what they wanted this show to be, and that’s very special. Patrick will send us beautifully written emails about what he feels about Picard and where he feels Picard has been. That’s so inspirational.”

Patrick Stewart and the Picard show writers’ room in September (Photo: Twitter/Patrick Stewart)

Exploring how to connect new show with established canon
The new series is expected to be set 20 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, which would put it in the year 2399. Getting a continuation of the Star Trek story after Voyager and Nemesis is something many fans have been hoping to see. It is an open question as to what the new show will be like, especially in relation to what was established in 27 seasons and four feature films set in the 24th century. Kurtzman spoke briefly about how they are approaching this issue:

“It’s fun to think about how to connect to canon while freeing yourself from it technologically. We’re still exploring that, that’s a deep dive. That takes literally a year to figure out.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back