Social The Snail joke from 'Training Day'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Structurally, it's pretty tight. However, it's fair to say not everything lands in the dialogue department. The "snail joke/smiles and cries" are good examples of them perhaps overreaching a bit in trying to sound deep.

All of Antione Fuqua's movies have corny writing

Like The Equalizer, every scene with the fat dude trying to become a security guard was laugh out loud cheesy

Love that fkn movie...seen it ten times or more and i never put much thought into that quote but it was definitely vague.

My guess would be...to the snail his life is big and important. His life's work was making his way to the house...but to the guy at the house, the snails life is nothing and he'll end it in an instant without a 2nd thought.

Lesson being that you are a young man building a life...wife, kids, etc. To you it means absolutely everything. But to some psycho path gang banger it doesn't mean shit...he'll take your life in an instant and then go about his business with no remorse.

Structurally, it's pretty tight. However, it's fair to say not everything lands in the dialogue department. The "snail joke/smiles and cries" are good examples of them perhaps overreaching a bit in trying to sound deep.

I found the smiles and cries cheesy but everything else great. The snail thing I think people are overthinking. Hawke was high as hell and Roger was kinda just messing with him.

If we’re going to delve into the writing in this movie, how does Jake know to find Alonso at Eva Mendes’ apartment when those gangbanger’s let him go? Not to mention the absurdity of Jake just happening to save the guy’s nephew from being raped and having her wallet on him, just as her uncle was about to kill Jake.

If we’re going to delve into the writing in this movie, how does Jake know to find Alonso at Eva Mendes’ apartment when those gangbanger’s let him go? Not to mention the absurdity of Jake just happening to save the guy’s nephew from being raped and having her wallet on him, just as her uncle was about to kill Jake.

He knew where Alonso was staying, having visited earlier. Did he know he was there for sure? No, but it would be the first place I'd check.

As for the other thing, it's a little contrived but it works, and the actors all sell it well enough that you don't really stop to think of how many stars would have to align for it to happen.

He knew where Alonso was staying, having visited earlier. Did he know he was there for sure? No, but it would be the first place I'd check.

As for the other thing, it's a little contrived but it works, and the actors all sell it well enough that you don't really stop to think of how many stars would have to align for it to happen.
Alonso wasn’t staying there. He just stopped by earlier to bang Eva Mendes. The odds of a guy like Alonso(several different babie’s mama’s, undercover detective, playa in general) being at the same ho’s place, twice in one day, are slim to none. This is especially true given it was known by that point that Alonso had a meeting with the Russians that could not be missed. But yeah, probably the first place I’d go, despite it being like 1/1000 shot that he’d be there.

Alonso wasn’t staying there. He just stopped by earlier to bang Eva Mendes. The odds of a guy like Alonso(several different babie’s mama’s, undercover detective, playa in general) being at the same ho’s place, twice in one day, are slim to none.

Okay, but it's a movie, and he's out for revenge. You gotta let some movie logic slide. It's a logical place to look, as it's really the only place he would have an idea of, and his kid's there. You're only assuming he has others. The movie(as far as I remember) never alludes to Alonso having multiple children all over the place. Just that one is emphasized.

It would be a pretty weak ending having Hunt's character just ride the bus home all defeated and depressed, because he has no idea where Alonso could be.

Alonso wasn’t staying there. He just stopped by earlier to bang Eva Mendes. The odds of a guy like Alonso(several different babie’s mama’s, undercover detective, playa in general) being at the same ho’s place, twice in one day, are slim to none. This is especially true given it was known by that point that Alonso had a meeting with the Russians that could not be missed. But yeah, probably the first place I’d go, despite it being like 1/1000 shot that he’d be there.

Yeah Alonso may have numerous baby mama's but we don't see that so you're grasping at straws. The niece thing your right about how coincidental it was all in a day too but then again it is a movie.

Okay, but it's a movie, and he's out for revenge. You gotta let some movie logic slide. It's a logical place to look, as it's really the only place he would have an idea of, and his kid's there. You're only assuming he has others. The movie(as far as I remember) never alludes to Alonso having multiple children all over the place. Just that one is emphasized.

It would be a pretty weak ending having Hunt's character just ride the bus home all defeated and depressed, because he has no idea where Alonso could be.

Yeah, I understand suspension of disbelief. Just seems like it could’ve been written a little better.

As far as Alonzo, they guy had 5 kids...all sons. If your old lady wants a boy, let him know, and he’ll hook your old lady up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back