• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Shining or The Thing?

Pick 1

• Total voters
lol the shining losing out to the thing?
incredulous_zpsriesrdlb.gif

I mean, the thing was watchable and had momentary scares, but overall it was amateurish and gimmicky compared to De Palma's Shining, which is a rich, layered classic for the ages.
not to mention the acting in Shining was way better than in the Thing

I mean, the thing was watchable and had momentary scares, but overall it was amateurish and gimmicky compared to Di Palma's Shining, which is a rich, layered classic for the ages.
not to mention the acting in Shining was way better than in the Thing

U mean Kubrick, not di palma.

And The Thing is layered too. With terrific acting. But what i like most about The Thing is the atmosphere it creates. And the music amplifies that creepy, desolate atmosphere.

yea sure, Kubrick even strengthens my attitude then. Carpenter is good, the movie had a palpable tension throughout, I agree.
the acting was sub par IMO, including the script, but like I said very watchable and scary.

The Shining is almost mesmerizing by comparison. The winter locale and effects are much more pronounced and the hotel/ghost factory much more sinister and unnerving than an ice station in the frozen north.

yea sure, Kubrick even strengthens my attitude then. Carpenter is good, the movie had a palpable tension throughout, I agree.
the acting was sub par IMO, including the script, but like I said very watchable and scary.

The Shining is almost mesmerizing by comparison. The winter locale and effects are much more pronounced and the hotel/ghost factory much more sinister and unnerving than an ice station in the frozen north.

Just watch this scene man

ya, dude I've seen the movie prolly 20 times.
I know.
thing is a scary movie, depicting how man turns against man in the face of an unknown creature
that is remorseless in its quest.
the shining is a 'horror film' which addresses isolation, madness, ghosts, rationalization by the wife, ramifications of past lives and actions,
good intentions by the old black dude being destroyed and finally, the ultimate winner, the winter.
spell binding IMO

I thought the thing was indeed scary but on a literal, superficial level.
the shining got inside my head ffs.

maybe one of the freakiest scenes ever.

The Thing, Blade Runner, and Alien all have special effects that stand even today and I would say they are the best special effects ever.
I love both movies and have nothing bad to say about either one.

But I will say that The Shining has more boring parts in it by far. But the good stuff is damn good.

But this poll is really 1st world problems.

Note: I wonder if the dog kennel scene is what turned off a lot of people.

well, Blade Runner is a futuristic tour de force IMO.
nothing comes close.
it relied LESS on special effects in the traditional sense and more
on forward thinking concepts and attitudes.
brilliant.

The ending and pacing was the biggest thing for me. I'm not a huge movie guy, and cannot articulate properly what I feel, so here is a cheap video that shows some of the blatantantly wrong things in the movie. Jack is just a different beast altogether in the movie.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=64780

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#Comparison_with_the_novel

To continue. Jack doesn't be show his change in the movie. He seemed off from the start, and the hotel never got the chance to shine, like in Movies where a certain location has a sort of "demonic" possession. Such as type movies like The Legend of Hell House and Burnt Offerings

One of the absolute biggest for me was Wendy. In the book she's a strong, capable woman. In the movie she's a mousy whiner that spends the whole time screaming and crying. Basically a typical female horror movie survivor that gets to run around and be in peril. I honestly think the fact that it's Kubrick keeps this particular change from getting as much criticism as it deserves.

In the book Jack is a very sympathetic character that you root for, and his downfall is all the more tragic.

Shining is a good movie, but I always felt it got a bit overrated due to Kubricks involvement.

So, The Thing. But, to be fair, I'd vote for The Thing over everything including eating breathing.

One of the absolute biggest for me was Wendy. In the book she's a strong, capable woman. In the movie she's a mousy whiner that spends the whole time screaming and crying. Basically a typical female horror movie survivor that gets to run around and be in peril. I honestly think the fact that it's Kubrick keeps this particular change from getting as much criticism as it deserves.

In the book Jack is a very sympathetic character that you root for, and his downfall is all the more tragic.

Shining is a good movie, but I always felt it got a bit overrated due to Kubricks involvement.

So, The Thing. But, to be fair, I'd vote for The Thing over everything including eating breathing.

The book is the book and the movie is the movie. I like it when the movie can be different than the book but just as good or even better. Which I say the movie is way better than the book and I grew up reading King.

Although Kubrick is immensely talented, The Shining is very overrated.

The Thing is a better movie, albeit with far inferior acting (which is natural given its bigger cast).

Although Kubrick is immensely talented, The Shining is very overrated.

The Thing is a better movie, albeit with far inferior acting (which is natural given its bigger cast).

Duvall is terrible in The Shining.

tumblr_okl2641OeP1v85sfao1_250.gif

tumblr_onddfanFwy1rfd7lko1_500.gif

The rest of her being "normal" is kinda hard to gauge since her character is so useless and annoying.

Obviously Jack owns and the kid is fine.

Back