The Shining or The Thing?

Pick 1

• Total voters
People talk about 2001 a lot, but IMHO The Shining is Kubrick's Magnum Opus. I also think it's the greatest horror film ever made. Not the scariest, just the best piece of art in the genre. Sure it departed significantly from the source material, but it really should have been billed as Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, not Stephen King's The Shining.

I would probably agree with that. It's deeply unsettling for a variety of reasons. Kubrick does all these cool little things that just make the viewer feel like something is very off somehow.

I think that is hubris. The novel didn't seem warm or alive to me lol. Many things were changed, and there seemed to be no character progression for Jack in the movie. In the west we love our kids. So Danny took the forefront in the movie, where he wasn't so fleshed out in the book.

It may be. I've never read the book, or any King books for that matter. But I've been meaning to for awhile.

I would probably agree with that. It's deeply unsettling for a variety of reasons. Kubrick does all these cool little things that just make the viewer feel like something is very off somehow.
The problem was he did it from the start. It wasn't like that. Jack was a loving guy who had his demons, but didn't have that vibe from the start.

In the movie, you knew he was going to go cray cray from the start.

Damn, I wish I would have seen the movie first lol. It would have made so many critiques from fans of the novel, like me, pointless. As it stands, it is still a great movie. I cannot deny that.

The problem was he did it from the start. It wasn't like that. Jack was a loving guy who had his demons, but didn't have that vibe from the start.

In the movie, you knew he was going to go cray cray from the start.

Damn, I wish I would have seen the movie first lol. It would have made so many critiques from fans of the novel, like me, pointless. As it stands, it is still a great movie. I cannot deny that.

The book version actually does make for a better story though. Watching a guy go from normal to axe murderer would make it more interesting and more tragic.

That actually does make for a better story though. Watching a guy go from normal to axe murderer would make it more interesting and more tragic.
Visually it does. It depends on how you want your story. 2 hours or 20???
Do you want to see gradual progression where the journey is a tad more personal, or do you need a montage? Lol

Visually it does. It depends on how you want your story. 2 hours or 20???
Do you want to see gradual progression where the journey is a tad more personal, or do you need a montage? Lol

I usually prefer the long road, with all the details. It's why i prefer tv series to movies a lot of times. And i almost always like books much more than movies based on them. And though i haven't read it myself yet, i see a lot of debate about which Shining people prefer, kubricks or kings. That is probably the biggest compliment a movie can get. Visual style is cool and all, but i prefer knowing what characters are thinking. Kubrick finds ways to convey stuff like that visually and with music and a few key lines of dialogue.

But anyway, i do need to read kings version at some point.

Both are true heavyweights of the genre.

IMO The Thing was great, The Shining was greater.

How the hell is the can movie The Thing having more votes than The Shining at the moment?

tempted to go with the Thing due to it's visceral nature buuuuutttt.....
nah, the Shining was Kubrick at his best.
cast, setting, script etc.
top tier IMO

I'd like to go to that party.

I only got round to watching The Shining a few weeks ago and was bitterly disappointed. At no point do you feel that Jack has descended into madness - he comes across as completely nuts from day one.

The Thing is a masterpiece of paranoia, and Kurt Russell is an under appreciated 80s hero.

I really wish Kubrick would have made a movie closer to the novel. I read the novel before I saw the flick, and it just bothered me seeing it after I read the book.

Great movie, no doubt, but I couldn't appreciate it as much knowing all the things it changed. Not the movies fault, but hey, that's just the way it is.
If u havent seen Room 237, it's a doc that offers some wacky and some provocative reasons as to why Kubrick essentially disregarded the source material.

It's a bitter cold, stormy winter night. You and your girl are snowed in and stuck in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but snow and ice around for miles. Your girl loves horror films and can be quiet and actually watch an entire movie closely. She has never seen either of these films and doesn't know anything about them. U can only choose 1 of these 2 films to show her. Which one do u pick?
Kubrick, without reservation.

Shining. Classic Jack.

It's a bitter cold, stormy winter night. You and your girl are snowed in and stuck in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but snow and ice around for miles. Your girl loves horror films and can be quiet and actually watch an entire movie closely. She has never seen either of these films and doesn't know anything about them. U can only choose 1 of these 2 films to show her. Which one do u pick?
Watching the Shining could lower your chances of getting laid more than the Thing. Picking the Thing.

Easily The Thing for me

I really wish Kubrick would have made a movie closer to the novel. I read the novel before I saw the flick, and it just bothered me seeing it after I read the book.

Great movie, no doubt, but I couldn't appreciate it as much knowing all the things it changed. Not the movies fault, but hey, that's just the way it is.

Exactly how I felt when I watched it. With how different the two were I just couldn't get into the movie.

The Thing, on the other hand, has been one of my favorite movies since I first saw it. I absolutely love John Carpenter.

The book is trash and the movie is great

maxresdefault.jpg

How the hell is the can movie The Thing having more votes than The Shining at the moment?

I like the thing better but was expecting the shining to win the poll. And it's funny that the thing is winning by a large margin, but most of the discussion itt has been about the shining lol

Back