The Search For The 113th Supreme Court Justice, v1: Obama Nominates Merrick Garland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would hit Dianne Sykes.

On another note- is race/gender going play a big roll in this?

Something I've missed in all this is why the GOP came out and announced they wouldn't consider any nominations. They have a majority in the Senate. They didn't need to make themselves look like partisan asses to block nominees. All they had to do was downvote Obama's nominees. It just strikes me as a huge public relations failure when they could have achieved the same results through normal processes.

Sri, Millett, and Watford are probably all fine.

Lynch and Nguyen, no. Those are too-political appointments. You don't send them up to the S. Ct.

Nguyen is a very fair judge from what I've seen. Why do you think she is not qualified for the Supreme Court. Her Ninth Circuit decisions have been all well grounded from what I"ve seen.

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. Why is Judge Jacqueline Nguyen considered "political", and to whom?

Would hit Dianne Sykes.

Merrick Garland is the most qualified, but he won't get it because he's a white man. I'd say it's a big determining factor.

Merrick Garland is the most qualified, but he won't get it because he's a white man. I'd say it's a big determining factor.
"Most qualified" doesn't mean a lot. Are there ideological differences that might make Obama prefer another nominee or does it have to be about race?

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. Why is Judge Jacqueline Nguyen considered "political", and to whom?

(a) relatively feeble academic record.
(b) relatively feeble record in private practice.
(c) relatively feeble record as public prosecutor.

Compare her background to Sri, for example. He's a beast. Nguyen, nobody would even dream of picking her for this were it not straight diversity politics.

I've been reading that they want Lynch. What a joke. The one who went full thoughtcrime right after the San Bernardino massacre. Fuck that.

The fact that lynch is being considered is pretty alarming and would be very telling if they tried to push her through.

The analysts over at SCOTUSblog is actually pegging Lynch as the front-runner right now, and the rationale is largely consists of "black" and "woman".

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/how-the-politics-of-the-next-nomination-will-pay-out/

1/3 through the analysis and I've already lost track of how many times those two key words were mentioned.

Compare her background to Sri, for example. He's a beast. Nguyen, nobody would even dream of picking her for this were it not straight diversity politics.
I, obviously, don't know enough about her record but had heard her and other names mentioned because she was one of several with major republican support for an earlier high level appointment.

I've been reading that they want Lynch. What a joke. The one who went full thoughtcrime right after the San Bernardino massacre. Fuck that.

The fact her name would even be brought up means we are right to not even consider taking an up/down vote on Obama's nomination.

Wait until we have an American in office, then let's talk about a nominee.

The handful of people who think political factors (race, gender, political leanings) have absolutely no part in President Obama's considerations and that the nomination will completely be determined on strong judicial qualities like he claimed are either incredibly stupid or lying to themselves.

Obama: 'I intend to do my job' and nominate a qualified Supreme Court candidate

"I'm going to present somebody who indisputably is qualified for the seat and any fair-minded person, even somebody who disagrees with my politics, would say would serve with honor and integrity on the court," he said.

Asked if that meant he was leaning toward a moderate, Obama said, bluntly, "No."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-supreme-court-scalia-nominee-20160216-story.html

Justice Antonin Scalia may be a conservative white male judge with all those excellent qualities and more, but it's nearly certain that his compromised successor wouldn't be one, for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with "fair-minded", "honor", and "integrity".

Last edited:
The handful of people who think political factors (race, gender, political leanings) have absolutely no part in President Obama's considerations and that the nomination will completely be determined on strong judicial qualities like he claimed are either incredibly stupid or lying to themselves.
You're misquoting. Also, no appointee has been strictly based on judicial qualities.

The analysts over at SCOTUSblog is actually pegging Lynch as the front-runner right now, and the rationale is largely consists of "black" and "woman".

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/how-the-politics-of-the-next-nomination-will-pay-out/

1/3 through the analysis and I've already lost track of how many times those two key words were mentioned.

Incidentally, I actually worked with Goldstein (SCOTUS writer) on a couple cases last year.

It's clear that diversity politics will play a massive role here, but (my bet) is that they will not push somebody over the top who has a resume that doesn't look S. Ct. level. Look at Sotomayor and Kagan as precedent. In his prior picks, Obama has not sacrificed resume quality in the interests of maximal diversity.

I expect to see a similar level of resume strength from the next candidate, rather than pure diversity-chasing, and that excludes Lynch and Nguyen. Only Watford, Sri, and Millett have records that can match the judges already sitting on the bench.

Well its been shown in this thread by a couple poster that anyone who isn't a white male, must've only got nominated for political reasons.

2/17/2016 - OP is updated with more possible nominees as their names are floated by news agencies and political analysts.

On a related note @Zankou, will there be a vBookie bet on Presidential and Supreme Court nominees for us degenerate gamblers? :D

Paddy have the odds ready for the Primaries and Caucuses, but I guess they're still researching on SCOTUS contenders like the rest of us:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/other-politics/us-politics

Last edited:

I see where you are coming from even though I think she is a great judge based upon her decisions and conduct at oral argument. What about Goodwin Liu? While I personally do not want a Obama to get an appointment if he does I'd like to get one of our own up on the bench. Its been to long without an Asian American Justice. I'd like a Supreme Court that looks like me for a change.

The fact her name would even be brought up means we are right to not even consider taking an up/down vote on Obama's nomination.

Wait until we have an American in office, then let's talk about a nominee.
You really think Hillary is going to make more palatable nominations than Obama? or is the idea to not nominate anyone until a republican wins.

You really think Hillary is going to make more palatable nominations than Obama? or is the idea to not nominate anyone until a republican wins.

Other people ignored that post due to the loaded phrase "an American in office". I suggests you do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back