The Royce vs Shamrock Trilogy

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Well, Ken probably won't stop fighting, but if he would ever let himself stop, now would be a tidy ending. He and Royce fought at UFC 1 to start the modern reincarnation of this sport. Royce won.

Then they fought again (UFC 5?). It was a draw, but in the minds of the public, most saw it as a victory for Ken.

They finished the trilogy, unfortunately with some minor controversy, but the victory went to Royce. So it ended 2-0-1 in Royces favor.

Butttt, who had the better career? Discuss.

Well, Ken probably won't stop fighting, but if he would ever let himself stop, now would be a tidy ending. He and Royce fought at UFC 1 to start the modern reincarnation of this sport. Royce won.

Then they fought again (UFC 5?). It was a draw, but in the minds of the public, most saw it as a victory for Ken.

They finished the trilogy, unfortunately with some minor controversy, but the victory went to Royce. So it ended 2-0-1 in Royces favor.

Butttt, who had the better career? Discuss.

That is an interesting question. Royce had the bigger impact in MMA's early years, but Ken had more longevity in the sport and gave more to the sport over the years. Still, I give the edge to Royce because he showed the Martial Arts world the importance of cross-training. In Royce's own words, American MMA is the house that he built.

Kens big wins:

Maskatsu Funaki
Bas Rutten
Patrick Smith
Mo Smith
Dan Severn
Kimo
Brian Johnston

Royce's Big Wins:
Ken Shsmrock
Patrick Smith
Kimo
Dan Severn

I won't count Saku because it was way to late in Sakus career.

I think Ken has the slightly better career.

Kens big wins:

Maskatsu Funaki
Bas Rutten
Patrick Smith
Mo Smith
Dan Severn
Kimo
Brian Johnston

Royce's Big Wins:
Ken Shsmrock
Patrick Smith
Kimo
Dan Severn

I won't count Saku because it was way to late in Sakus career.

I think Ken has the slightly better career.

Doesn't matter as Royce beat BOTH prime Ken AND zombie Ken.

And this I say with much hurt as I'm a Ken fan.

Ken reached a greater peak as a fighter in absolute terms.

But he never won a UFC tournament. And that is the true currency of the early years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back