The Role of MMA Media

Just dropped the 2nd edition of my collab column with Kristen King. Thought you mofos might enjoy it
https://mymmanews.com/king-slim-the-role-of-mma-media/
Great to see you again Ant

Nice article. I believe there’s a time and a place for those types of questions. A more intimate 1 on 1 setting may have been better. That’s typically what you see from major news networks when a normal celebrity has a blunder. But if we’re being honest, Conor refused to answer the question with Ariel Helwani on his show prior to the question. So is it beating a dead horse, or is it inspired journalism? if you ask me the lines constantly blurred, but informed parties should already know his feelings from the questions from Ariel. So I get why it may come across as an attempt to throw him off his game.

Media should be able to bring up whatever questions they want. If they are right they will be rewarded, if they are wrong they have to deal with the public shame. It's not an easy job.

Do your thing guys. I appreciate the work

The reporter asking that question at the presser was a fool. Did he actually think he was going to get any kind of meaningful response? If he did he is an even bigger fool. Only thing he did by asking that question was draw attention to himself and make the story about him.

Media should be able to bring up whatever questions they want. If they are right they will be rewarded, if they are wrong they have to deal with the public shame. It's not an easy job.

Do your thing guys. I appreciate the work
But isn’t it his job to do his homework and be well educated. Conor isn’t answering the question in an intimate 1 on 1 setting with Ariel so why would he do it during a press conference that close to a fight?

But isn’t it his job to do his homework and be well educated. Conor isn’t answering the question in an intimate 1 on 1 setting with Ariel so why would he do it during a press conference that close to a fight?
People are always going to be coming with their agenda from all directions. It's something we have to deal with.

People are always going to be coming with their agenda from all directions. It's something we have to deal with.
That’s fair, I just don’t think he should be shocked, or confused when he’s asked to leave. This fight attracted a lot of media members that aren’t normally at mma events, which is fine, but they need to be aware, and if they want good responses to their questions they need to know what they are stepping in.

The reporter asking that question at the presser was a fool. Did he actually think he was going to get any kind of meaningful response? If he did he is an even bigger fool. Only thing he did by asking that question was draw attention to himself and make the story about him.

So athletes should not be asked questions that they don't want to answer. Got it.

Great to see you again Ant

Nice article. I believe there’s a time and a place for those types of questions. A more intimate 1 on 1 setting may have been better. That’s typically what you see from major news networks when a normal celebrity has a blunder. But if we’re being honest, Conor refused to answer the question with Ariel Helwani on his show prior to the question. So is it beating a dead horse, or is it inspired journalism? if you ask me the lines constantly blurred, but informed parties should already know his feelings from the questions from Ariel. So I get why it may come across as an attempt to throw him off his game.

You make good points, but the problem with relying on Ariel's interview is two fold. First, it was heavily produced and edited by the broadcast partner. There will likely be a tremendous slant for obvious reasons. It's similar to the interview he did with Oscar at Mac Life. His own outlet and business partner are more inclined to keep things as PR friendly as possible.
The second problem is that Ariel's work shouldn't stop anyone else from doing their own work. Media members operate largely independent from one another. Which is why you hear the same questions asked over and over during fight week.
It's not about the answer Conor is giving. He is entitled to answer however he chooses. But the question must be asked. Nothing beats a try but a failure.

Back