The Reason For Weight Cutting's Existence In 2013

J10Abu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We all know the dangers of dehydration yet the UFC still uses a weigh-in format that forces fighters to either: dehydrate their bodies the day before an event or fight larger men. Even with the amount of evidence that supports the argument of abolishing weight cuts, a vast majority of fans, managers, and fighters accept this pre fight ritual as part of the culture.

With the absence of weight cuts, fighters would be healthier, have better in-fight cardio, and be able to spend more time developing physically and technically during the last weeks of their camp. From a business aspect this would also benefit the UFC as they would be able to sell a more quality product.

So why are day-of weigh ins (particularly right before hand wrapping commences) not rabidly clamored for in the fight community? This would make dehydration obsolete since it would allow no time for rehydration. I could think of only three reasons why this would be: 1. Fighters don't want to speak out. 2. The UFC doesn't want to put in the effort to change something that "works". 3. Most fans just don't give a fuck. I personally believe the latter plays the biggest role in this issue.

Most forum posters and website commenters care very much about this topic, but sadly we are not heard or represented. I believe if we raise our voices and force Dana to hear us through social media, if we can get mma journalists to ask Dana these questions and force an answer from him, we can save our fighters and make a change for the better. I know most of you are tired as fuck from school or work so thanks for taking the time to read this thing. If you have any opinions, suggestions, or just want to rant yourself feel free to share.

Last edited:
I think day of weigh ins would be way worse; people would be fighting while dehydrated

So why are day-of weigh ins (particularly right before hand wrapping commences) not rabidly clamored for in the fight community?

Guys will go into the ring dehydrated.

I would have no problem with same day weigh in. If fighters are stupid enough to enter the ring whilst dehydrated, they'll be found out pretty quickly.

Paragraphs....they're good.

I just think there should be a limit on how much weight you can cut. 15 pounds maybe.

Why do people try to bring up things like this for discussion, but clearly have no idea how to debate.

You can't seriously think 9/10 people are going to read that wall of text do you?

why are day-of weigh ins (particularly right before hand wrapping commences) not rabidly clamored for in the fight community? This would make dehydration obsolete
And that's where you fail, TS (no offense).

Fighters would still dehydrate themselves to make weight, thinking that 3 or 4 pounds of missing water won't hurt.
And then you get an avalanche of injuries, brain damage and who knows what else.

Personally I'd have weigh-ins 3 hours before the fight, and I'd force every fighter to drink a gallon of water right after. Just to be safe. :icon_lol:

2099674.png

And that's where you fail, TS (no offense).

Fighters would still dehydrate themselves to make weight, thinking that 3 or 4 pounds of missing water won't hurt.
And then you get an avalanche of injuries, brain damage and who knows what else.

Personally I'd have weigh-ins 3 hours before the fight, and I'd force every fighter to drink a gallon of water right after. Just to be safe. :icon_lol:

makes sense to me.

why? if they fight dehydrated they will lose period and the ones that will do well is the ones that don't dehydrate themselves.

Cool, you're right. Same day weigh ins will totally be better.

Stupid thread. Weight cutting is a part of the sport, there isn't even any major incentive to eliminate it. Better in fight cardio? 99.99% of the heavies don't cut weight and yet have the WORST cardio while the majority of the guys in the lowest weight classes have by far the best cardio even though they pretty much all cut weight.

You do realize that same day weight-ins just means more cards ruined/cancelled when a big star shows up and can't make weight? You DO realize that people will still cut weight leading to worse quality fights, etc? Go on a boxing forum and post this crap, stop acting like MMA is the first combat sport in existence with weight classes and the entire concept of weigh-ins a day before the fight is new to you. Why are MMA fans so damn retarded?

Please stop with the stupid whining about weight cutting. It's like all of you idiots whining about fighter pay. Just watch the damn fights and enjoy it, all of the rest of that crap is just you being little girls and wanting to gossip and turn everything into a soap opera.

Brain injury risk is bad enough without dehydration reducing cerebrospinal fluid in the brain (which provides cushioning). At least the next day fighters will have had time to get fluids in them.

to limit weight cuts you have to do weight checks, when fight signed, 1 month out, 1 week out. day before and day of with some limitations based on % of weight and short notice fights have a little more Lee way. not perfect at all but better than full range of what is done now. biggest problem is where do they weigh in that is neutral and official especially for non us fighters

The reason there's still weight cutting going on is because it's impossible to stop it. Not a big deal anyways

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back