The REAL reason why JDS lost to Cain is that...

....everytime a fighter rules in a division or has a good undefeated streak, his future opponents (=all the other guys in the division) study him like crazy. They study every move that he makes and train to develop a style which can be effective against the champion's weapons.
There were already AT LEAST 2 examples in UFC history:
1.) Brock Lesnar: when he came to the UFC nobody could stop his takedowns. He was a monster coming at you at highspeed to take you to the ground and pound on you once he had you off your feet. So later everybody did nothing but takedown defence training and suddenly Brock couldn't take them or keep them down anymore: examples: Cain Velasquez. And against Overeem Brock Lesnar didn't even try to take him down anymore cause he knew it wouldn't work

2nd example: Lyoto Machida: for those who forgot, there was a point where he looked invincible and was the undisputed king of his division and his opponents weren't even able to win a single round against him. That changed quickly later after his opponents studied his style and trained all day long to be effective against his style.

Same with Dos Santos: he WAS so good. And no, he was not overrated and no, he didn't get exposed. Cause JDS did beat all those really good fighters in the UFC. He wouldn't have beaten those guys so "easily" if he wasn't THAT GOOD.
But Cain and probably the whole division focus on JDS' style so much and try to develop a style that can be a solution to the "problem" named Junior Dos Santos.
And finally it worked.
Has nothing to do with JDS having been "overrated". UFC history has shown that nobody is dominant for more than 2 or 3 fights at the top level.
Only exception would be Anderson Silva and GSP.

I agree almost completely with this and it is well said to boot.

But. Cain is uniquely suited to break down JDS. At least JDS as we've seen him so far.

Let me ask you this: What adjustments do you think Cain made for JDS that allowed him to be so effective?

....everytime a fighter rules in a division or has a good undefeated streak, his future opponents (=all the other guys in the division) study him like crazy. They study every move that he makes and train to develop a style which can be effective against the champion's weapons.
1.) Brock Lesnar: when he came to the UFC nobody could stop his takedowns. He was a monster coming at you at highspeed to take you to the ground and pound on you once he had you off your feet. So later everybody did nothing but takedown defence training and suddenly Brock couldn't take them or keep them down anymore: examples: Cain Velasquez. And against Overeem Brock Lesnar didn't even try to take him down anymore cause he knew it wouldn't work

2nd example: Lyoto Machida: for those who forgot, there was a point where he looked invincible and was the undisputed king of his division and his opponents weren't even able to win a single round against him. That changed quickly later after his opponents studied his style and trained all day long to be effective against his style.

Same with Dos Santos: he WAS so good. And no, he was not overrated and no, he didn't get exposed. Cause JDS did beat all those really good fighters in the UFC. He wouldn't have beaten those guys so "easily" if he wasn't THAT GOOD.
But Cain and probably the whole division focus on JDS' style so much and try to develop a style that can be a solution to the "problem" named Junior Dos Santos.
And finally it worked.
Has nothing to do with JDS having been "overrated". UFC history has shown that nobody is dominant for more than 2 or 3 fights at the top level.

BULLSHIT!! CAIN fought the same way he always fights.....Lesnar, Bigfoot, anyone he fights , he smothers them, doesn't give them a chance to get off....Cain treated JDS the same way he treats all his opponents....with disdain...did U miss how he pushed JDS away the first round? He didn't want to KO Jds he wanted to beat him down & embarrass him & that is exxactly what he did! The only way to beat Cain is to hit him first & hit him hard....like JDS did the first fight...Your reasoning is rediculous....Cain will be champ for awhile now until someone pops him hard & fast b4 he can pop them! Strategy my ass....do it first & U win!!

And finally it worked.

Nobody could stop Brock's takedowns? Every fighter that fought Lesnar stopped at least one takedown besides Frank Mir. Heck even old man Couture reversed Brock on the ground. Give me a break...

JDS got outworked...no need for a rubber match. A healthy Cain destroyed him.

BULLSHIT!! CAIN fought the same way he always fights.....Lesnar, Bigfoot, anyone he fights , he smothers them, doesn't give them a chance to get off....Cain treated JDS the same way he treats all his opponents....with disdain...did U miss how he pushed JDS away the first round? He didn't want to KO Jds he wanted to beat him down & embarrass him & that is exxactly what he did! The only way to beat Cain is to hit him first & hit him hard....like JDS did the first fight...Your reasoning is rediculous....Cain will be champ for awhile now until someone pops him hard & fast b4 he can pop them! Strategy my ass....do it first & U win!!

did you see the part of your comment which I marked red? Can't you see how ridiculous it is what you just wrote? Let's be honest, before this fight (JDS-CAIN Rematch) 99 % of the pple said JDS will win again and rule for a long time and blablablabla.
The same thing you are saying now about Cain. And the same thing pple said about Brock Lesnar. Can't you see it? History repeats itself. Always.
I wouldn't be surprised if Cain loses his next fight. Some guy wins in dominant fashion and everybody jumps on his bandwagon and says he is unbeatable and he will rule forever and he would beat a prime Fedor and blablablablabla

Nobody could stop Brock's takedowns? Every fighter that fought Lesnar stopped at least one takedown besides Frank Mir. Heck even old man Couture reversed Brock on the ground. Give me a break...

Heath Herring, Mir and Couture didn't stop Lesnar's takedowns. Shane Carwin did stop the takedowns, Velasquez got up again.

Heath Herring, Mir and Couture didn't stop Lesnar's takedowns. Shane Carwin did stop the takedowns, Velasquez got up again.

Herring stopped two, go back and watch. Couture stopped two on the feet and reversed Brock on the ground when Brock was in top position. Mir was the ONLY fighter not to stop a Brock takedown...yes Brock was a good HW wrestler but it wasn't as if his takedowns hadn't been stopped.

Good post, but to me, he lost because he got tagged in the face and couldn't get his bearings back. No matter how good you are, if a 240lbs man who knows how to punch finds your jaw, you're likely to go down. Until that punch landed, JDS was looking pretty good IMO and I think if he's perfectly capable of working his way back up

Herring stopped two, go back and watch. Couture stopped two on the feet and reversed Brock on the ground when Brock was in top position. Mir was the ONLY fighter not to stop a Brock takedown...

so they stopped one or two takedowns. Wow. What is your point? Bottom line is Lesnar ALMOST took them down at will.

so they stopped one or two takedowns. Wow. What is your point? Bottom line is Lesnar ALMOST took them down at will.

You're wrong then lol, that is what my point was. I was stating that Brock's takedowns had been stopped in previous fights (some not by quality competition) and you said they had not. All that was needed was someone with equal wrestling to fully stop them as in Carwin in the first round. It wasn't some big scheming secret that tdd would beat Lesnar. Bring some facts to the table before you make blanket statements.

The real reason JDS lost to Cain is because Cain is a much, much better fighter than he is.

You're wrong then lol, that is what my point was. I was stating that Brock's takedowns had been stopped in previous fights (some not by quality competition) and you said they had not. All that was needed was someone with equal wrestling to fully stop them as in Carwin in the first round. Bring some facts to the table before you make blanket statements.

Dude I am not gonna re-watch all those fights again. This is about the real story and not about nitpicking.
The story of Lesnar's UFC fights is that his takedowns worked in his first fights and later they didn't work anymore cause his opponents adapted.

Dude I am not gonna re-watch all those fights again. This is about the real story and not about nitpicking.
The story of Lesnar's UFC fights is that his takedowns worked in his first fights and later they didn't work anymore cause his opponents adapted.

All those fights? You mean three of them? All I was saying is that Lesnar as an mma fighter was so freaking overrated that even a guy like heath herring was able to stop a couple Lesnar takedowns and managed not to get finished when in full mount several times. Everyone knew that all they had to do was stop Lesnar's takedowns. There wasn't adapting at all. As soon as Lesnar fought a quality opponent he got his teeth kicked in. Again, it wasn't some big secret. From the beginning people knew if you could stop his takedowns you could beat him. It just took a good wrestler to do it.

All those fights? You mean three of them? All I was saying is that Lesnar as an mma fighter was so freaking overrated that even a guy like heath herring was able to stop a couple Lesnar takedowns and managed not to get finished when in full mount several times. Everyone knew that all they had to do was stop Lesnar's takedowns. There wasn't adapting at all. As soon as Lesnar fought a quality opponent he got his teeth kicked in. Again, it wasn't some big secret. From the beginning people knew if you could stop his takedowns you could beat him. It just took a good wrestler to do it.

look dude, all you wrote here is something you can only write NOW. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Because back then Lesnar looked like a monster, and Couture, Mir and Herring are high level opponents. And if you remember right, everybody was talking about Fedor vs Lesnar and a lot of pple thought Lesnar would be too big for Fedor.
Of course you can deny that now and say "I always knew Lesnar would get smoked by Fedor". But this is all hindsight.
Everybody can say later "I always knew it would play out like that".

JDS relied on his heavy hands.
He is no different than carwin - expecting a KO win and only a KO win

his boxing is better than carwin but still overrated. To compare himself or think he can outbox a boxer is a laughable.

JDS boxing is overrated and not better than Overeem.

Same as Cormier - new guy, new to boxing but has that KO power.. just because he can land loopy right hands like Fedor doesnt mean he has good boxing or accuracy.

Cain vs JDS 1 - Cain went with a small right cross
JDS began to launch a wide loopy overhead Left punch and if you do a slowmo on that punch, he puts his head down, looks away (toward the ground) as he throws the punch... not really aiming for a specific part of the head.. just a wild (LUCK) shot that also hit behind cain ear. Follow by some legit GnP and than 2 more additional shots behind the ear followed by 2-3 hammerfist on the ear (legit).

Fighters just didnt respect his 1 hit power, most likely as they studied him, they realize he has sloppy boxing and thought they can expose that and able to withstand his punching power.
Unlike Carwin - everyone respected it, regardless of his boxing skill

JDS relied on his heavy hands.
He is no different than carwin - expecting a KO win and only a KO win

his boxing is better than carwin but still overrated. To compare himself or think he can outbox a boxer is a laughable.

JDS boxing is overrated and not better than Overeem.

Same as Cormier - new guy, new to boxing but has that KO power.. just because he can land loopy right hands like Fedor doesnt mean he has good boxing or accuracy.

Cain vs JDS 1 - Cain went with a small right cross
JDS began to launch a wide loopy overhead Left punch and if you do a slowmo on that punch, he puts his head down, looks away (toward the ground) as he throws the punch... not really aiming for a specific part of the head.. just a wild (LUCK) shot that also hit behind cain ear. Follow by some legit GnP and than 2 more additional shots behind the ear followed by 2-3 hammerfist on the ear (legit).

Fighters just didnt respect his 1 hit power, most likely as they studied him, they realize he has sloppy boxing and thought they can expose that and able to withstand his punching power.
Unlike Carwin - everyone respected it, regardless of his boxing skill

I think JDS is a better boxer than Overeem and he has more handspeed. The problem is Overeem has power, I just watched Overeem vs Tyron Spong (K1) and I saw Spong has a little bit more handspeed, but when Overeem lands, he hurts his opponents.

Back