The real reason Schaefer is no longer with GBP

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The Lara-Canelo fight is the main reason Schaefer is no with GBP. I believe it's the "straw that broke the camel's back".

This is from about a month ago...

Lara said he's not a "Golden Boy Fighter, he's an Al Haymon fighter"

A few days earlier ODH admitted that he never wanted this fight

This fight was really made by Schaefer and Haymon while ODH was still in rehab. Since ODH has been out, Schaefer has had Haymon's best interests rather than GBP's. Basically sacrificing GBP's cash cows to build up Haymon's fighters. If you notice almost all the Showtime cards have a Haymon fighter on the them.

ODH is clearly not happy about this and the Canelo vs. Lara just became the most important fight of the year.

Canelo is the biggest non haymon, GBP signed, fighter. Canelo is the only fighter on GBP that can carry that promotional company once haymon takes his roster with him. Lara is clearly a very dangerous opponent for Canelo and should he defeat Canelo, it would be a massive blow to GBP and a big win for Haymon.

Do you agree with Lara?

No. Schaefer did not leave because a non-draw with zero potential to be a draw is not under contract with Golden Boy.

You can't be serious?

No. Schaefer did not leave because a non-draw with zero potential to be a draw is not under contract with Golden Boy.

That non-draw is fighting a cash cow and has a very good chance of beating the cash cow. I think he will beat Canelo.

That non-draw is fighting a cash cow and has a very good chance of beating the cash cow. I think he will beat Canelo.

Beating a cash cow doesn't make someone who is not marketable a draw.

Lara is not losing =(

even Mayweather Sr says Lara is too much for Canelo.. bc of the Stamina Issue

You mean he's too much for Canelo...with his own stamina issue and that a couple of times in his biggest fights he's thrown as little punches in a round as he can?

That's not the point. If he beats Canelo, Canelo's stock is going to take a massive hit. I mean he'll have the Mexican fans backing him but it won't be as big as before.

Losing to Mayweather was excusable because Mayweather is widely considered the P4P King the best of his generation etc.

But losing to a "no-name" fighter like Lara would be a huge hit. Lara's built a name for himself, but he's still relatively unknown.

If Lara wins, he won't be a massive draw but he'll at least be well known enough to where they can put him in big fights.

That Cubans are not marketable is a myth made up by lazy promoters. They say the same thing all the time about guys with huge hype coming out of the Amateurs that they can build on. But they do little to nothing to advertise them, or cater to their market (which needs a little herding, but it does exist). These are people who adore Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, and who largely keep the Mexicans fighting in Vegas/Texas/Cali, and the Puerto Ricans fighting in New York, where the fights sell themselves.

That Cubans are not marketable is a myth made up by lazy promoters. They say the same thing all the time about guys with huge hype coming out of the Amateurs that they can build on. But they do little to nothing to advertise them, or cater to their market (which needs a little herding, but it does exist). These are people who adore Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, and who largely keep the Mexicans fighting in Vegas/Texas/Cali, and the Puerto Ricans fighting in New York, where the fights sell themselves.

I didn't say anything about being Cuban. Leave out Lara's nationality and you have a guy who is not a fan friendly fighter and has shown zero personality.

And I don't know what fault promoters have in this. His promoter has gotten him on ESPN, Showtime, and HBO. He has been given the platform. He just hasn't drawn fans.

Schaefer and Haymon where hoping De La Hoya remained in rehab so they can sacrifice all GBP fighters

I didn't say anything about being Cuban. Leave out Lara's nationality and you have a guy who is not a fan friendly fighter and has shown zero personality.

And I don't know what fault promoters have in this. His promoter has gotten him on ESPN, Showtime, and HBO. He has been given the platform. He just hasn't drawn fans.

So you want to exclude the very thing that makes the guy a tentative draw? Makes a ton of marketing sense. Lara is plenty fan-friendly of a fighter with the right match-ups. The Williams fight was very fun, so was the Angulo fight. A bout between he and Kirkland would have been excellent.

Zero personality? I'm not sure of that, he's selling a lot of this Canelo bout with all his shit-talk, which he didn't start doing until he likely realized he had to be his own Promoter, and even got good publicity (albeit negative) for the whole shoving incident.

A Promoter's job isn't merely to put a fighter on TV. It's their job to SELL the fighter. If all a promoter is doing is booking time and hoping the fighter does a lot of the leg-work, that is indeed lazy promotion.

Lara is not losing =(

even Mayweather Sr says Lara is too much for Canelo.. bc of the Stamina Issue

The same Mayweather Sr who thought Hatton was gonna crush Pacquiao?

So you want to exclude the very thing that makes the guy a tentative draw? Makes a ton of marketing sense. Lara is plenty fan-friendly of a fighter with the right match-ups. The Williams fight was very fun, so was the Angulo fight. A bout between he and Kirkland would have been excellent.

I don't think being Cuban is the main reason he is not a draw. It's part of it; the potential audience for Cubans is much smaller than Puerto Ricans or Mexicans.

I personally got no excitement out of watching Lara landing the same shot about 200 times on Williams, never seriously hurting him in the process. You're in the minority if you think Lara is a fan friendly fighter.

Zero personality? I'm not sure of that, he's selling a lot of this Canelo bout with all his shit-talk, which he didn't start doing until he likely realized he had to be his own Promoter, and even got good publicity (albeit negative) for the whole shoving incident.

A few cliched lines through a translator and a shove is a pretty low standard for a personality.

A Promoter's job isn't merely to put a fighter on TV. It's their job to SELL the fighter. If all a promoter is doing is booking time and hoping the fighter does a lot of the leg-work, that is indeed lazy promotion

Television is far and away the most important part of promoting. Not only that, but he has been on cards with a lot of other good fights. He has had exposure. People don't care about him.

This whole GB, TR, Haymon, Mayweather, Schaefer shit is confusing the hell out of me.

Back