The real reason Gus gave Jones his toughest fight

kmasonbx

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
And it wasn't height! It was the fact that all the tactics Jones does that has made every other opponent timid didn't slow Gus down at all. Gus didn't care that Jones held his hand out, the eliptical kicks didn't act as a deterrent whatsoever. To top it off Gus had no worries of getting taken down. Gus' apparent iron chin certainly didn't hurt either because he ate a few head kicks and spinning elbows and kept moving forward aside from that one.

Both of these guys deserve more credit than saying height is such a factor. They are extremely talented fighters, and even if they were both 6'1 they'd still be killers.

Gus didn't fear permanent eye damage from the constant threat of eye pokes.

Height had a lot to do with it, but Gus is so talented. People didn't realize this until tonight. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be a close decision.

Gus' boxing was clearly better and his ability to keep the fight standing. That is why.

Striking aside, Gus' build also made it harder for Jones to take him down, that clearly threw him off quite a bit.

It is the whole package, height, reach, size, strength, physical and mental toughness, confidence, and most importantly work ethic and willingness to put his ego aside and learn to wrestle; his loss to Davis ended up making him a much better all around fighter. There is much to admire about this guy!

Height had a lot to do with it, but Gus is so talented. People didn't realize this until tonight. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be a close decision.

I certainly wasn't, Jones has been unbelievably good in all of his fights and I didn't expect anyone to match him. Both guys will get better from this one, which is brutal for the rest of the lhw pack.

So basically it was all the things that made this fight more even opposed to jones being bigger longer and impossible to takedown?

I thought in the beginning that this is going to be a good fight. Gus was going forward and did not freeze like most do against Bones

I think if Gus was a little more aggressive he would of took it

I think it was that his big toe wasn't 100% and he injured his other big toe early in the fight.

It is the whole package, height, reach, size, strength, physical and mental toughness, confidence, and most importantly work ethic and willingness to put his ego aside and learn to wrestle; his loss to Davis ended up making him a much better all around fighter. There is much to admire about this guy!

People underrate how good Gus' wrestling was going into the Davis fight. Davis struggled like hell to take Gus down. Davis was something like 1-5 on TDs and Gus got right back up the one time he was taken down. Davis won the fight when Gus tried to take him down.

I think it was a combination of size and skill

^^ most practical way of saying it.

There have been guys who are legitimately better strikers than Jones, but the wrestling gap was too great to overcome. Others where the physicality / size were far too great.

Then there was Gus.

Back