The rarer, the better: myth or fact?

WitchCraft

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Is there a benefit to eating rarer meat? I've heard from (unreliable) sources that consuming rare meat/raw fish is beneficial because it contains more creatine. Myth or fact?

If that's your main reason, why not just supplement with creatine?

^That's a good point. There's several things that could go into your decision to cook meat rare/medium/well/etc, but that should not be one.

You might want to consider that some potentially carcinogenic compounds are formed when meat is cooked at high temperature. Google if you want to learn more. How much should you worry about this? I dunno, I don't really worry about it at all, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't.

Then there's obvious considerations, like killing bacteria. I've had food poisoning twice, and never want to go back there again. So, naturally, this plays into my cooking decisions quite a bit.

Might want to read this, too:
The Importance of Cooking in the Evolution of the Human Brain | Mark's Daily Apple

Is there a benefit to eating rarer meat? I've heard from (unreliable) sources that consuming rare meat/raw fish is beneficial because it contains more creatine. Myth or fact?

Taste.

Anything over medium rare is burnt, medium rare itself is overcooked.

Just run my steak through a warm room.

this. I live in Northern Alberta and buy my beef as a live cow from a coworker who has cattle. Then I take it to a butcher that cuts it up in his shop on his farm. From there my steaks are seared spend about 2 minutes per side on my grill and is nice and red and juicy. Taste purposes only. Reminds me, better grab a couple t-bones from the deep freeze.

I hear you. Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but up until about two years ago, I always ordered everything medium-well, because that's what my whole family did and I never thought anything of it. I switched to medium and will never go back.

I'm a bit too chicken to do less than medium, even though I've liked it when I've tried it. I'm paranoid about food poisoning.

Rare meat is good, but it's really expensive.

My favorites are Javan rhino and baiji. So delicious.

I love rare for red meat (taste only consideration). I can't bring myself to do it for chicken or pork.

Was your food poisoning in the past from undercooked meat?

The first time, possibly, never identified the cause there.

The second time, I'm almost sure it was tainted pistachios...remember when they had that huge recall last spring? (I ate them before it all came to light in the media, not after, just in case anyone was wondering :icon_conf).

While were talking about this stuff, I've recently been asked several times in restaurants "how do you want your salmon cooked?" How do I eat salmon for years and never hear that, then all of a sudden they start asking?

Anyway, that one's a puzzler for me. I just shrug and say something lame like "uh...normal?"

The first time, possibly, never identified the cause there.

The second time, I'm almost sure it was tainted pistachios...remember when they had that huge recall last spring? (I ate them before it all came to light in the media, not after, just in case anyone was wondering :icon_conf).

So your paranoia is probably completely unwarranted then?

Beef can actually be eaten nearly raw. Only whole cuts though, not mincemeat. Bacteria only forms on the surface of the exposed meat so a quick sear of the surface makes it completely safe to eat. Chicken and pork are big no-nos and must always be cooked through completely.

You got food poisoning from pistachios so you decided to refuse to eat undercooked meat? o_O

Beef can actually be eaten nearly raw. Only whole cuts though, not mincemeat. Bacteria only forms on the surface of the exposed meat so a quick sear of the surface makes it completely safe to eat. Chicken and pork are big no-nos and must always be cooked through completely.

See, if I could see the animal alive and healthy in a clean environment, kill it, and then follow the processing the whole way, I might be OK with eating very rare meat.

Since I don't know where meat has been or who/what has been touching it, I feel like I need to make my meat hot enough to kill lots of stuff.

You got food poisoning from pistachios so you decided to refuse to eat undercooked meat? o_O

Key point there is that I got it. Where I got it from does not factor into my thinking much. I just don't want to get it ever again.

Since undercooked meat is a known culprit for food borne illnesses, I'm cautious about it.

I prefer my steak medium well, I like a little toughness even though I know foodies swear by tenderness and melt-in-your-mouthiness.

Back