The Puerto Rico Incident...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPunkMinowaMan

#Pancrase[1990s] / Rings / Vale Tudo[1920s-80s]
Banned
Reaction score
Reading some things written by posters here talking about how you shoud be nationalistic
when it comes to MMA, and others, badmouthing Kimo... reminded me of what happened some 22 yrs ago...

It happened at UFC8, Puerto Rico.

Joe Moreira, Allan Goes´ partner, had just battled Varelans and lost, and Tank was making fun of him.

At cageside, Allan saw it, towered him, Tank kept silent, stood up, went to the other side
of the cage, called his crew, came back, threw a punch at Allan, missed, Allan took him down,
but then Tank´s crew began to pound on him.

When they were separated, Kimo (half American, half German) appeared and said to Goes (Brazilian) that he could count on him.

The next day, Kimo,Allan and Joe would meet in town, then go to a local restaurant.

They sat, and a few minutes later... guess who came in?

Tank with his crew, some 15 dudes (Allan said they were 20, I say 15, must have been 10...)

Allan was looking down, Joe was already grabbing a knife, Kimo kept silent.

Tank walked in front of their table and stopped, they all stood up, ready for whatever...

But... Tank just apologized for what happened the day b4.

Tank then left with his crew to other tables..

Allan & Joe were relieved...

Kimo jus´ said:

"LET´S GET´EM!"

B eye.gif

KIMO GOAT TOUGH SOB.

kimo450.JPG

Besides, this episode somehow linked Kimo to Allan, and he began to train BJJ with them,
which became a mini-scandal in the BJJ community, since Kimo had just battled Royce...

But that´s another story...

Last edited:
Strange shit happens in Puerto Rico, Bruiser Broday was stabbed to death there.

Tank was a legit goon. It seems like there was a lot of horseshit back then, and he was always involved.

A fitting ending: Kimo smoked Tank like a cheap cigar when they fought years later.

You miss Tank don't you, I know you do because you be quoting me about Tank all the Time. He was an attractive sum bitch if you think a billy goats ass is attractiveimages.jpg Tank was cool and I thought that fight with Kimbo slice looked fixed but who knows I do know Tank just stood there looking at him when Tanks style was to swing until he could not swing no more

I thought UFC 6 was in Colorado? Taktarov and Tank in the finals?

Royce tapping Kimo was very impressive.

Nah, at most, Kimo had a few BJJ training sessions or watched the Gracie video instructionals.. This was 1994 and the Gracies kept their secrets very well. Kimo almost beating Royce (he probably would if Royce didn't do the girlie hair-pulling thing) was impressive.

Nah, at most, Kimo had a few BJJ training sessions or watched the Gracie video instructionals.. This was 1994 and the Gracies kept their secrets very well. Kimo almost beating Royce (he probably would if Royce didn't do the girlie hair-pulling thing) was impressive.

Secret or not, BJJ is not the only grappling art. Royce was 170 in a soaked gi, Kimo was probably 270 roided to the absolute gills.

Have you ever grappled with people that big? Royce deserves all the credit in the world, what he did vs Kimo, Shammy, and the massive Dutch judoka, was nothing short of amazing.

Secret or not, BJJ is not the only grappling art. Royce was 170 in a soaked gi, Kimo was probably 270 roided to the absolute gills.

Have you ever grappled with people that big? Royce deserves all the credit in the world, what he did vs Kimo, Shammy, and the massive Dutch judoka, was nothing short of amazing.

Yep, in the days of Gracie/Kimo I trained in a judo/jiu-jitsu gym. The trainers learned the "new Gracie stuff" from VHS tapes, so we were pretty primitive. But it was still common to see skilled 170 pound guys quickly tap 225+ pound bodybuilders and power lifters.

Kimo was allegedly 250 pounds for the fight. I'd say 230....240 tops. Either way, Kimo did really well considering he fought a guy who trained in BJJ since he was in diapers and had already done a bunch of "Gracie Challenge" fights.

Shamrock had 1 year of experience (compared to a lifetime for Royce). He knew nothing about fighting guys wearing a gi, the guard or many BJJ submissions. He also fought 3 days before the UFC in Japan. Ever done that flight? The jet lag alone would take away any size advantage he had...much less flying to a place with that altitude without acclimating.

We had the Gracie hype figured out back in the mid-1990s on the AOL discussion boards. It's amazing people are still duped now. Back then we knew all about Whorian and Joyce Gracie's shenanigans!

Yep, in the days of Gracie/Kimo I trained in a judo/jiu-jitsu gym. The trainers learned the "new Gracie stuff" from VHS tapes, so we were pretty primitive. But it was still common to see skilled 170 pound guys quickly tap 225+ pound bodybuilders and power lifters.

Kimo was allegedly 250 pounds for the fight. I'd say 230....240 tops. Either way, Kimo did really well considering he fought a guy who trained in BJJ since he was in diapers and had already done a bunch of "Gracie Challenge" fights.

Shamrock had 1 year of experience (compared to a lifetime for Royce). He knew nothing about fighting guys wearing a gi, the guard or many BJJ submissions. He also fought 3 days before the UFC in Japan. Ever done that flight? The jet lag alone would take away any size advantage he had...much less flying to a place with that altitude without acclimating.

We had the Gracie hype figured out back in the mid-1990s on the AOL discussion boards. It's amazing people are still duped now. Back then we knew all about Whorian and Joyce Gracie's shenanigans!

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-1.3734725/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-9.3826197/

Kimo submitted saku

Kimo submitted saku

Several years after fighting Royce. Again, in 1994 BJJ was hard to learn outside of Gracie VHS tapes or a direct connection with a teacher. He didn't become a student of Joe Moriera (sp?) until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back