The problem with Jones vs Blachowicz (and Jones legacy)

frandie2b

------(SALD BELT)------
@red
Reaction score
First off, Jan deserves his title shot and it would completely make sense if he's the next contender.

The problem is, we know exactly how this fight is gonna play out : Jones will outpoint him for 5 round and get a comfortable UD. Same thing if it was Corey Anderson.

He beat everyone at LHW, he's been a dominant champion for years. Sitting and waiting for the next contender in a weak division is not going to do something for his legacy.

My point is : Jones needs real challenges.

What dominant champions do to become 'great' in combat sports ? They seek for new challenges. Look at what Canelo Alvarez did recently, he won titles in 4 different weigh classes. This is why he's considered the P4P best.

I agree but Jones isn't dominating people anymore. He lost his last fight according to the majority of media, fans. Also Canelo being p4p 1 is fake news. He's a marketing pony who lost to GGG.

But even if Jones isn't dominating anymore, the only guy left in the division is Ian. Then what? Still needs to move to HW.

Roy Nelson needs to cut to 205 and come back to defeat Jones. That is the only answer.................................................................

First off, Jan deserves his title shot and it would completely make sense if he's the next contender.

The problem is, we know exactly how this fight is gonna play out : Jones will outpoint him for 5 round and get a comfortable UD. Same thing if it was Corey Anderson.

He beat everyone at LHW, he's been a dominant champion for years. Sitting and waiting for the next contender in a weak division is not going to do something for his legacy.

What dominant champions do to become 'great' in combat sports ? They seek for new challenges. Look at what Canelo Alvarez did recently, he won titles in 4 different weigh classes. This is why he's considered the P4P best.
Smith via DQ
Santos 1,2,5
Reyes 1,2,3
Stripped 3 times
Pokes & PEDs

That's Jones' "legacy".

I agree but Jones isn't dominating people anymore. He lost his last fight according to the majority of media, fans. Also Canelo being p4p 1 is fake news. He's a marketing pony who lost to GGG.

I'm not a huge fan of Canelo and I think GGG got robbed too.. but you can't deny the man doesn't turns down challenges.

Last edited:
But even if Jones isn't dominating anymore, the only guy left in the division is Ian. Then what? Still needs to move to HW.

Well even after Jan he can still stay at LHW and fight the next weak contender that emerges. I really think that guy is scared to move to HW, same as GSP was to move to MW (when the champ wasn't named Bisping).

Well even after Jan he can still stay at LHW and fight the next weak contender that emerges. I really think that guy is scared to move to HW, same as GSP was to move to MW (when the champ wasn't named Bisping).

Jones is turning into GSP. No wonder though, they have the same team.

The GOAT’s last FIFTEEN fights were title bouts. His legacy is pretty secure.

I am not a boxing expert, but aren't the weight classes in boxing only 4-5 pounds different? It's not easy, but easier to win multiple titles in boxing than MMA by far. Jones has to put on about 20 lbs. to move to HW.

I am not a boxing expert, but aren't the weight classes in boxing only 4-5 pounds different? It's not easy, but easier to win multiple titles in boxing than MMA by far. Jones has to put on about 20 lbs. to move to HW.

Yes, in boxing the gap between weighclasses is smaller.

In Jone's case, he doesn't need to put 20+lbs. He's already in the 230's. Stipe and Cormier were 230 and 236 for their last HW title fight.

Jon is a preliminary -600 favorite over Jan. The only way Jan could win is if Jon makes a huge mistake and gets knocked out. Whatever you think of Jon's past couple performances, it's undeniable that he's just about flawless when it comes to avoiding traps like these.

The only compelling match left for him at LHW is the Reyes rematch. With that being said, his five rounds of experience with a guy who initally ihad little material for Jones to study from gives Jon a pretty big leg up that he didn't have a couple of weeks ago. Not saying Reyes would be fucked from the get go, but I think it'd be a tougher fight for him next go around.

The only compelling match left for him at LHW is the Reyes rematch.

So Santos is out? Why is that? Cuz Reyes was even closer to beating Jon? Is Santos no longer considered a worthy opponent or a reasonable rematch?

So Santos is out? Why is that? Cuz Reyes was even closer to beating Jon? Is Santos no longer considered a worthy opponent or a reasonable rematch?
Santos is out until next year with injury. Reyes now, Jan, then Santos

Jones has been fighting monsters for almost a decade..i havent seen any jones haters post his resume... Seeing his resume makes their heart ache

Jones has been fighting monsters for almost a decade..i havent seen any jones haters post his resume... Seeing his resume makes their heart ache

His 2011 run was amazing. Besides that, he didn't fight anyone relevant outside Gus 1, Texeira and Cormier.

And I don't blame him, the division didn't have a lot to offer. But this is also why he should go for HW.

I mean it's the second best fight left at LHW for Jon. Tbh though, I don't think he has much to offer Jon. He was mostly swinging wildly, only landing like 25% of his strikes, while Jon just moved forward the entire time, and outstruck him in 4/5 rounds. He also landed about 60% of his shots. I have no idea how one judge gave Thiago 3/5 rounds. I wouldn't have a problem with him and Oezdemir having a title eliminator, but I just get the sense that a Santos upset over Jon is quite a long shot at this point. Not sure it matters though. We don't know how he's going to look since his injury, and Dana even said he's not particularly interested in a rematch of what was a pretty boring fight.

You could say GGG won the first fight. But the second fight was a pretty clear victory for Canelo.

The weight classes aren't as far apart and you may be the only one to say Canelo is the p4p best. Crawford or lomachenko are the top guys. You made decent points, you don't need to make shit up to support it

Jon is a preliminary -600 favorite over Jan. The only way Jan could win is if Jon makes a huge mistake and gets knocked out. Whatever you think of Jon's past couple performances, it's undeniable that he's just about flawless when it comes to avoiding traps like these.

The only compelling match left for him at LHW is the Reyes rematch. With that being said, his five rounds of experience with a guy who initally ihad little material for Jones to study from gives Jon a pretty big leg up that he didn't have a couple of weeks ago. Not saying Reyes would be fucked from the get go, but I think it'd be a tougher fight for him next go around.

Reyes looked strong in the clinch and was able to defend and escape from takedowns and wall n stall. Which left me wondering if reyes could out wrestle or even ground n pound jon.

Back