The politics of judging

ManofSteel

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In many fights, some rather close decisions have went to fighters that have been heavily promoted by the UFC and Strikeforce, or even Pride back in the day. This could of course be coincidence, or perhaps something more. Even this Saturday, KJ Noons lost a decision to Ryan Couture that has once again caused outrage in the MMA community.

My questions are:

Do you think that the star power of fighters can affect a judge's impartiality? Also can a promotion, directly or indirectly, exert pressure on the judges to swing a decision towards their larger marketing goals?

If a PPV draw champion fought a close decision with a less popular elite fighter, would you assume the former would take it?

In many fights, some rather close decisions have went to fighters that have been heavily promoted by the UFC and Strikeforce, or even Pride back in the day. This could of course be coincidence, or perhaps something more. Even this Saturday, KJ Noons lost a decision to Ryan Couture that has once again caused outrage in the MMA community.

My questions are:

Do you think that the star power of fighters can affect a judge's impartiality? Also can a promotion, directly or indirectly, exert pressure on the judges to swing a decision towards their larger marketing goals?

If a PPV draw champion fought a close decision with a less popular elite fighter, would you assume the former would take it?

Champions usually get the nod because of the "you have to BEAT the champ" mindset. The usual odd decision I see is local fighters winning like Bisping over Hammil.

Someone needs to hang the g'damn belt above the cage to show "Once the bell rings, nobody is champion. It is just two #1 contenders. Since two #1s can't exist, someone has to lose."

I hate that efn "you have to beat the champ" mentality.

Honestly I don't thinking of the judges could name one fighter. I make this assumption by the lack of MMA knowledge shown when they are judging matches.

I remember watching a PRIDE fight where "Rampage" was just outworked and outpointed by a very game "Ninja" Rua, but lost via decision. I think that "who" you are fighting has a huge impact on your ability to sway the judges. I think big stars can have the presence and aura if you will to affect scores.

Back