The personality of Jon Jones

GoldAggie

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Jon Jones fan and I'm happy that he won, I won't gloat because there are other threads for that but it's something that I've been thinking about. For all the "Jon Jones is fake!" "He's a heel!' "He's showing his true colors finally" "He's a phony Christian!" "He's a shitty human being!" "He's a shitty person" etc.

Has anyone stopped and think that Jon Jones and other fighters are complex human beings? He's a father, a Christian and seems to be a cool guy but he's also a fighter who gets paid to beat the shit out of someone for a living, he has several sides to his personality and depending on the situation, the event, that side shows. He seems to only shit talk when other fighters and fans spew shit at him. He's respectful when he's given the same respect and he can tell the difference between someone putting on an act like Chael Sonnen or when fighters are just promoting themselves like Phil Davis. DC was in neither one of those categories.

So instead of being playful and relaxed like he was after the Glover fight in which Jones still got criticized for, he was merciless, driven, short and to the point, he didn't give a shit about Cormier's feelings and at this point he seems to realize that his haters are going to hate him no matter how he reacts and responds so fuck them too. Sometimes it's an attitude that one has to have especially in that line of work.

When it comes to athletes I feel some fans are hypocrites in how they react because athletes make millions of dollars "playing a game" and they can't see themselves in athletes or athletes aren't complex individuals, there's an disconnect there. I'm not saying Jon Jones needs to be cheered, cheer for you want but it's best to keep things in perspective sometimes.

Ufc also wants him to portray the villain kind of guy. Two inflated ego's going at it can never really end well.

Jon Jones is Jon Jones is Jon Jones.

Stop thinking.

Feel it.

When you tattoo a Bible verse on your chest and act like a phony, don't complain when the rest of the world calls you out for it.

He just has absolutely no charisma

I would always watch his fights regardless, because he's a great fighter.

But I do now respect him a bit more having embraced the "bad guy" role. I think it was the fakeness that put most people off.

Jon just trying to make money... He wasn't able to become perceived as a hero everyone shows up to see win (though he tried very hard), so now he's settled into being perceived as a villain who everyone shows up to see lose :)

Some people just want to hate, no matter what Jones does they will find something wrong with it.

I'm a Jon Jones fan and I'm happy that he won, I won't gloat because there are other threads for that but it's something that I've been thinking about. For all the "Jon Jones is fake!" "He's a heel!' "He's showing his true colors finally" "He's a phony Christian!" "He's a shitty human being!" "He's a shitty person" etc.

Has anyone stopped and think that Jon Jones and other fighters are complex human beings? He's a father, a Christian and seems to be a cool guy but he's also a fighter who gets paid to beat the shit out of someone for a living, he has several sides to his personality and depending on the situation, the event, that side shows. He seems to only shit talk when other fighters and fans spew shit at him. He's respectful when he's given the same respect and he can tell the difference between someone putting on an act like Chael Sonnen or when fighters are just promoting themselves like Phil Davis. DC was in neither one of those categories.

So instead of being playful and relaxed like he was after the Glover fight in which Jones still got criticized for, he was merciless, driven, short and to the point, he didn't give a shit about Cormier's feelings and at this point he seems to realize that his haters are going to hate him no matter how he reacts and responds so fuck them too. Sometimes it's an attitude that one has to have especially in that line of work.

When it comes to athletes I feel some fans are hypocrites in how they react because athletes make millions of dollars "playing a game" and they can't see themselves in athletes or athletes aren't complex individuals, there's an disconnect there. I'm not saying Jon Jones needs to be cheered, cheer for you want but it's best to keep things in perspective sometimes.

giphy.gif

I don't have any biblical quotes tats myself, and don't run around calling myself a christian, but I can't imagine telling someone to suck your procreation wand is ever acceptable behavior - in the eyes of your higher power. Doesn't seem too "complex" a concept to me.

TS, anyone with a brain can see that what you're saying is true, for anybody... but a lot of these folks don't like Jon Jones off the bat, then they build their case as to 'why' on top of that.

I'm a bit too cynical to believe the personalities of public figures correspond to their real selves. Get a job in a news network and you'll see how people can pull a Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde when the camera goes on.

Chael Sonnen's antics were mostly phony, he's a much better person than the character he portrayed.

I think JJ is playing a character, the sport (I hope) is still as legit as possible, but the fighters are getting better and better in creating "characters", with a big incentive from above. And this will grow, the UFC draws bigger numbers with this.

the Christian thing from Jones I've always thought was just crap that he was spewing because of his upbringing, he's grown out of it now, having come into his own, and realizing maybe he isn't as nice a guy as he would like to be, and decided to embrace his bad boy side...but yeah, no one is JUST this or that. People have a lot going on on the inside, drama they're dealing with from many different directions etc, its just that most people aren't public figures, who make statements constantly to the press or in social media sites that are followed by tens of thousands, including the press...The opinions people have formed about Jones' personality are based on what we have seen and heard come from his mouth, simple as that, what else are we going to base our opinions of his personality on? We can't read his mind, We don't know if every time he says some stupid crap, he's kicking himself inside, but is unable to control himself, if maybe he is ashamed of how he behaves but figures its making him money for now and maybe in a few years he can stop being acting out...We just don't know, all we know about him is what we see and hear from him, and this leads many to think he is emotionally immature/undeveloped, or for some odd reason, just pretending to be.

I don't give 2 cents about fighters life outside the cage , they can be pieces of shit or they can be saints , i don't watch MMA to see their personalities , although I admit that a guy like Mgregor can spice up a fight but even that shit has been done many many times. I am mostly intrestead in their abilitty of fighters how they perform , how do they aplly techniquesand strategy learnd from trainers like Greg Jackson or Steven Seagal.

I can't believe he didn't thank his lord and savior Jesus Christ after he'd won. What an awful Christian!

Back