• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

***The Official SANCTIONED Deontay Wilder vs. Luis Ortiz RBR Thread 9PM EST Showtime***

Wilder's unconventional style combined with power alone might be enough to destroy Joshua. I've watched plenty of Joshua's fights but tonight was my first Wilder one...damn he's crazy looking but that raw power is fearsome.

And he carries it well. As JayE pointed out he's a light fella who doesn't tire as quickly as a 230+ pounder.

The plan against him should be to outbox the guy and stay safe. His chin (even if AJ hits harder than Ortiz, I guess) and power make it very risky to go balls to the wall against the mofo.

Fury might have a better shot than Joshua.

You can also add the likes of Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois to the mix.

Yeah Dubois is a good prospect too, he's going to run out of people to fight pretty soon I think, he might have to step up pretty quick.

Wider’s plan is to put old and punch less Ortiz to the latest round and finish him there. But what will he do with Joshua??? What can he offer him: his doubtful endurance, his clumsy punch, his weak head? After victory on Parker, i think Joshua will easily eat(finish) Wilder.

Wider’s plan is to put old and punch less Ortiz to the latest round and finish him there. But what will he do with Joshua??? What can he offer him: his doubtful endurance, his clumsy punch, his weak head? After victory on Parker, i think Joshua will easily eat(finish) Wilder.

What's doubtful about Wilder's endurance? He was badly hurt, recovered, and then still easily carried his power late in the fight. There is plenty to criticize Wilder for, but his punch isn't one of them. He hits you, and there are problems.

I think Wilder takes Joshua, do any of you remember Joshua's response taking a big shot from Klitschko and going down? He did NOT like being hit, and if Wilder unloads like he did tonight I think he puts Joshua away.

I hate Wilder's boxing 'style', but it has to be said he has that killer instinct to back up the wild shots and finish. I dont think Joshua has that same 'animal' in him

Joshua was hit with a precision shot from someone with one of the highest KO ratios in heavyweight championship boxing history, but he still got up and won. No one likes getting hit by Wlad and history shows they generally don’t get up after they are.

If Wilder fights like he did today he losses. Joshua is faster and more powerful than Ortiz. So Wilder’s not going to survive like he did here if he gets into trouble. Ortiz’s double jabs he was using to set up his shots were also giving Wilder something to think about. This fight makes me think he losses to Joshua.

this was a pretty awesome fight!

glad to see wilder win, but i'm not too pleased with his performance. i had ortiz easily ahead and he came close to finishing him. if he wasn't 60 years old and gassed after that flurry... wilder has heart, he has a chin, he's durable and he recovers quickly, he has retarded fucking power, but he can't box. he might still put joshua away because all those traits are damn difficult to deal with, but i expect AJ to fuck his shit up, to be honest.

hope the fight gets made sooner rather than later, too.

I think Joshua would beat Wilder more often than not. Joshua does tend to fight a bit stiff and isnt as fast but I can just see Wilders sloppiness and wildness combined with Joshua being heavy handed and around the same size resulting in AJ catching him and putting him down, probably fairly early on.

If Fury can get physically and mentally back to the level he was at in the Wlad fight he'd be the man to beat though.

That was a good win against a legit top 5 fighter (I could totally see him beating Parker).
Wilder has all the tools to give AJ a ton of problems, AJ needs to loose some muscle mass, otherwise he'll gas once again and atm I'd actually favour Wilder in a fight between them.

The thing that bugged me most about Wilder's performance last night was his jab - he needs to be snapping it out and stop that lazy pawing / holding off jab (which I actually think is also illegal). Wilder throwing strong jabs with the ever present threat of that right hand is enough to cause anyone problems.

But I was positively surprised at how well Wilder held up to some pretty solid shots, and he showed some real heart to keep it going. As others have noted, he carried his power through all that, and whilst he looked hurt at times, he never looked tired or gassed a la Joshua.

If Joshua punches himself out again and ends up gassing on the ropes and taking time off, Wilder is going to go full windmill on him, and that could be that. Wilder certainly doesnt need to be asked twice to look for the finish.

Agree this fight needs to get made sooner rather than later - both Wilder and Joshua could pick up a loss anytime, and it would be a shame if that prevented a unification bout.

The thing that bugged me most about Wilder's performance last night was his jab - he needs to be snapping it out and stop that lazy pawing / holding off jab (which I actually think is also illegal). Wilder throwing strong jabs with the ever present threat of that right hand is enough to cause anyone problems.

Either he was just waiting to get Ortiz tired or he was puzzled by his southpaw stance, double jabbing and movement. We know he can use a strong jab effectively. I think he dislikes moving targets, that's the key for his next opponents. I think he will be more comfortable against AJ.

But I was positively surprised at how well Wilder held up to some pretty solid shots, and he showed some real heart to keep it going. As others have noted, he carried his power through all that, and whilst he looked hurt at times, he never looked tired or gassed a la Joshua.

His being that lean does really help, I guess, but I also believe Ortiz's pop wasn't that much to handle. Speaking of size and stamina, AJ should really think about downsizing a bit if he doesn't want to get Ortized in the championship rounds.

Speaking of size and stamina, AJ should really think about downsizing a bit if he doesn't want to get Ortized in the championship rounds.

This is so obvious to everyone - including, I assume, his coach Rob McKraken - that I really dont understand why it doesnt happed. He was the heaviest he's ever been against Wlad IIRC, and he gassed badly after a 30 second flurry and looked done.

Its not as if that extra weight is making him a devastating puncher either - he caught Wlad clean a few times without laying him out.

Baffling.

What an awesome back and forth fight! Did anyone see who Wilder was about to charge at in the post-fight interview?

This is so obvious to everyone - including, I assume, his coach Rob McKraken - that I really dont understand why it doesnt happed. He was the heaviest he's ever been against Wlad IIRC, and he gassed badly after a 30 second flurry and looked done.

Its not as if that extra weight is making him a devastating puncher either - he caught Wlad clean a few times without laying him out.

Baffling.

He was his recorded heaviest against Takam and has dropped weight, reportedly, for the Parker fight.

What's doubtful about Wilder's endurance? He was badly hurt, recovered, and then still easily carried his power late in the fight. There is plenty to criticize Wilder for, but his punch isn't one of them. He hits you, and there are problems.
He looks like an angry lion and endurance like a wolf when he see a rabbit in front of him

Cubans are falling left and right.

First Rigo, then Dorticos, then Sullivan Barrera, now Luis Ortiz.

Barthelemy and Lara are likely to fall too

wtf does this have to do with anything?

Doubtful endurance: Knocks Ortiz out late after being hurt.

Clumsy punch: 39 knockouts in 40 wins.

Weak head: Surivived a round and and a half beat down from Ortiz, came back to win.

Please stfu.

Joshua was hit with a precision shot from someone with one of the highest KO ratios in heavyweight championship boxing history, but he still got up and won. No one likes getting hit by Wlad and history shows they generally don’t get up after they are.

If Wilder fights like he did today he losses. Joshua is faster and more powerful than Ortiz. So Wilder’s not going to survive like he did here if he gets into trouble. Ortiz’s double jabs he was using to set up his shots were also giving Wilder something to think about. This fight makes me think he losses to Joshua.
The difference is Wilder will not let you get back into it after youre hurt. Wlad does.

If Wilder hurts you, its over. He is a killer.

The difference is Wilder will not let you get back into it after youre hurt. Wlad does.

If Wilder hurts you, its over. He is a killer.
That's not what happened in this fight though is it? Wilder had Ortiz down and badly hurt in round 5 but Ortiz survives and then comes back to hurt Wilder. It was a back and forth fight and Wilder did well to survive but lets not pretend that you can't survive a Wilder onslaught.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back