The Official Fifa World Cup thread v5: We go Agane

Would you rather

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
koreatown in L.A is supposed to have a huge L.E.D screen for the viewing party for the game tomorrow I'm probably going there. my favorite part of mexico doing good in the world cup is that there is a lot of beer specials at the bars.

How many of those players are actually ethnically swiss? Go Serbia..

Switzerland has 3 ethnically Swiss players, the rest are Albanians, one Hispanic and another two African guys (not sure where from).

The most bizarre part is when the Albanian players start making the turkey sign with their hands, it's like, alright, so you "play for your homeland", why are you playing for the Swiss? Conversely, if you're Albanian you'd probably be hella pissed at these fair weather "patriots" - put your money where your mouth is lol

Switzerland has 3 ethnically Swiss players, the rest are Albanians, one Hispanic and another two African guys (not sure where from).

The most bizarre part is when the Albanian players start making the turkey sign with their hands, it's like, alright, so you "play for your homeland", why are you playing for the Swiss? Conversely, if you're Albanian you'd probably be hella pissed at these fair weather "patriots" - put your money where your mouth is lol
I found 8 ethnically Swiss guys in the current squad at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_national_football_team 1. Sommer 2. Burki 3. Lichtsteiner 4. Elvedi 5. Lang 6. Schar 7. Freuler 8. Zuber

KDB and Ochoa left in my FF squad to play. oooowweeeee

Came here to post this.

Let me elaborate and give some context of the entire fiasco...

Sampaoli's screwed, but he's not to blame entirely. The AFA is shambles and has been shambles for a while now.

A couple of years ago, Messi had to pay for every players plane ticket to a game because the AFA no money to pay for them.

AFA also screwed over several clubs from the Argentine Superleague (then Argentine Primera Division) by not paying them and the clubs couldn't pay the players in full, so the players went on strike and opted not to play until they were being paid accordingly.

Even then, the club debts are so high they still can't pay several players entirely and thus that's why they are moving as soon as they receive offers from other leagues. This is one of those things that has provoked young prospects like Ezequiel Barko to leave.

Back to Sampaoli, they have been continuously sacking managers before they got to him. Before Sampaoli, they wanted Simeone, but he turned them down because he's still not done with Atleti. I remember reporters telling Simeone to just quit Atleti and take over Argentina because it was more important. :rolleyes:

It's pretty obvious that will be Simeone's next job within the next 2-3 years when he decides to move on from Atleti, but they are going to have to do some major restructuring to get him and allow him to be successful.

Anyway, if they cut Sampaoli early, they need to pay $20M as a severance and I'm not sure AFA has that amount at hand to just handover.

Madness. I'm really hoping they can get things together.

Don't forget the whole expanding the first division to 30+ teams a while back.

giphy.gif

I'm heavily invested in today's Germany/Sweden game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back