The Obsession With Giving Title Fights Losers Rematches/Second Chances

A new standard has emerged in which once a fighter loses in a title bout they are then always a single win away from another title shot.

In many cases they are just given immediate rematches/second chances even if they were in uncompetitive fights and finished.

What ever happened to a fighter needing to string together a few wins before earning their way back to a title shot. This new standard is responsible for the lack of upward mobility for new UFC fighters who now need to wait for fighters to age out of the divisional rankings.

Occurring in 2020/2021:

Joseph Benavidez (Flyweight): Given an immediate rematch after being finished by Figgy in the second round. Proceeded to be finished in the first round of the rematch in what can only be described as a one sided beatdown

Brandon Moreno (Flyweight): Draws with Figgy due to a point deduction; rematch coming in June 2021

Max Holloway (Featherweight): Loses his FW title to Alexander Volkanovski via unanimous decision in 2019. Loses the rematch in 2020 via split decision. We are told a third fight is coming.

Jorge Masvidal (Welterweight): Given a title shot on short notice in June 2020, only manages to win a single round on one judges scorecard. Does not fight again until his rematch in April 2021 during which he is knocked out in the second round.

Dominick Reyes (Light Heavyweight): Has a very competitive title fight with Jon Jones in February 2020 which he loses via unanimous decision. Is immediately given another title shot in September 2020 for the vacant LHW belt and proceeds to be knocked out in the third round of an uncompetitive title fight.

Daniel Cormier (Heavyweight): Given an immediate rematch after being knocked out in his second title defense; loses the rematch via unanimous decision.

TBD:

Justin Gaethje (Lightweight): Has not fought since he was finished in the second round of his October 2020 title fight and appears to be holding out for another title shot or number one contenders bout.

Michael Chandler (Lightweight): Stated immediately after losing that he would be back within 12 months and UFC color commentator Jon Anik suggested today Chandler may deserve an immediate rematch.

Zhang Weili (Strawweight): Is calling for an immediate rematch at a 'neutral' site after being finished in the first round of her second title defense. Was the most inactive champion of 2020.

Stipe Miocic: Is apparently "beefing up" for another title shot since he believes he was knocked out in his very uncompetitive fight with Francis Ngannou because he came in too small.

If its a title fight there is more interest but as time goes on people care less.

If Stipe gets the rematch that's fucked up. Talk about a stagnant division due to shitty matchmaking.

Even a diehard Stipestan like me would rather see him fight at least one other person, some fresh opponent, before he goes into the Ngannou grinder again. Still, it's not like they turned around immediately after he lost the title and said the next title fight would be a redo (like they did for Cormier, and for Cain—though Cain couldn't stay healthy long enough to take advantage of the opportunity). He's actually third on the wish list after Jones and Lewis. And honestly I think he's being mentioned simply as an attempt to goad Jones into budging on his money demands. Tossing a specific name has a little more rhetorical weight than a still undetermined "winner of Gane and Volkov." And everybody else in smelling distance of the top are coming off of losses too.

Interesting post, TS. Had not realized how widespread that practice was.

There are cases where this can be justified, but honestly, a) this stalls the division for any other deserving contender(s) and b) the poor fighter who loses two in a row in that scenario is left in a strange place within his division after that.

I'm good with an immediate rematch for a draw or freak injury and if a champ is winning on scorecards but gets DQ'd; that's pretty much it. I already hate the "to be the man you have to beat the man" mindset; let alone "to be the man you have to beat the man twice".

What does that even mean? The rematch was perfect. Guys made a lot of money. Was marketed extremely well a did better than the first fight

Did you profit from it or why do you care? The discussion is not whether it was good for the fighters or good for the company but if it's the right thing to do. Who deserves it most? Not who profits the most.

I agree with you that fighters need to earn their shot again, though on the list above, the only truly egregious one is Jorge getting an immediate rematch after losing a lopsided first fight.

- Benevidez got eye poked and knocked out in the first fight, so there were some controversy to the finish

- Moreno earned that title rematch because of a very competitive draw

- Holloway and Cormier were both established champions. Max had a close fight, and in Cormier's case, a trilogy where it's 1-1 is worth the matchmaking

- Reyes is a little iffy, but a lot of people thought he beat Jones, and there really weren't a lot of suitable fighters at that time to fight for the title

Don't think Weili and Chandler should get another immediate title shot. Their divisions are full of other interesting challengers.
yeah, most of those examples were actually deserving candidates.

Masvidal got a rematch because he did the UFC a favour and saved one of their biggest cards last year. I don’t think he should have got a second title shot but it isn’t rocket science as to why he did.

Couture, Liddell, Ronda, and many more have always gotten free title shots coming off losses. UFC has always been a circus freak show that is all about selling and it has never been about being the best. That's why they always claimed to have the best fighters when they clearly didn't. It's zero integrity and all about making money. Been going on for a long time. It's not a sport. It's entertainment for the UFC.

Liddell never got a title shot after a loss

And circumstances matter. Vera was supposed to fight Sylvia at UFC 68 but he was in a contract dispute so there was no clear contender for Sylva's next fight. Couture was a former Heavyweight Champion and a Hall of Famer, he was a better choice than guys who didn't even have a pair of wins in the top 10.

Not to say I agree with all immediate rematches- I don't think that Holloway should have gotten an immediate rematch with Volkanovski and I don't think Weidman should have gotten one against Rockhold in 2016 either.

There have been just as many good rematches (Silva vs Weidman, Shogun vs Machida) as bad ones (Edgar vs Henderson, Weidman vs Rockhold).

Did you profit from it or why do you care? The discussion is not whether it was good for the fighters or good for the company but if it's the right thing to do. Who deserves it most? Not who profits the most.
It’s a job. Run by a company. There’s no tornament. Are you a fighter?

how is brining in more MONEY not part of being a PRIZE fighter? Like I don’t understand...do you watch mma? Or just like the storylines?

I'll agree half of these are/were dumb, but the other half have clear and understandable explanations.

What does that even mean? The rematch was perfect. Guys made a lot of money. Was marketed extremely well a did better than the first fight
The rematch was entirely unearned. If you don't agree with that you're trolling. If you can't understand that point well you're an idiot.

The rematch was entirely unearned. If you don't agree with that you're trolling. If you can't understand that point well you're an idiot.
No such thing. his ability to make people CARE is him earning the rematch. That’s why it’s called prize fighting IDIOT . Keep your dungeons and dragons logic for Sunday school. This isn’t a video game man

it’s about dollars and cents bro. Grow up

This isn't something new. They've been doing it for years because it often is the fight that will make the most money.

No such thing. his ability to make people CARE is him earning the rematch. That’s why it’s called prize fighting IDIOT . Keep your dungeons and dragons logic for Sunday school. This isn’t a video game man

it’s about dollars and cents bro. Grow up
Yes no shit it happens you bellend. I get you've got the attitude of a WWE fanboy where the biggest stars always face each other but understand my point; I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, I'm saying it happens way too often and you're an idiot for celebrating it.How have you not picked up on this?

Masvidal shouldn't have gotten that 2nd title shot and should be a million miles away from getting another title shot, especially whilst Usman remains champion. By your logic there shouldn't be any issue giving Masvidal a third undeserved title fight, he's still a bigger draw than Colby, or Leon or Wonderboy even with his most recent one-sided 2nd loss in a row to the same fighter. He shouldn't even have to fight again in the interim. Hell even if Conor loses he should get the next title shot because it would make the UFC the most money. I bet when you get asked who your favorite champion is you say Masvidal with his BMF gimmick ffs.

Honestly you have to be trolling, if so not a bad effort. Otherwise WWE's calling.

I'm good with an immediate rematch for a draw or freak injury and if a champ is winning on scorecards but gets DQ'd; that's pretty much it. I already hate the "to be the man you have to beat the man" mindset; let alone "to be the man you have to beat the man twice".
Exactly. Another huge problem is if the marketable long term champ wins the rematch they're going to move on without doing the trilogy.

A new standard has emerged in which once a fighter loses in a title bout they are then always a single win away from another title shot.

In many cases they are just given immediate rematches/second chances even if they were in uncompetitive fights and finished.

What ever happened to a fighter needing to string together a few wins before earning their way back to a title shot. This new standard is responsible for the lack of upward mobility for new UFC fighters who now need to wait for fighters to age out of the divisional rankings.

Occurring in 2020/2021:

Joseph Benavidez (Flyweight): Given an immediate rematch after being finished by Figgy in the second round. Proceeded to be finished in the first round of the rematch in what can only be described as a one sided beatdown

Brandon Moreno (Flyweight): Draws with Figgy due to a point deduction; rematch coming in June 2021

Max Holloway (Featherweight): Loses his FW title to Alexander Volkanovski via unanimous decision in 2019. Loses the rematch in 2020 via split decision. We are told a third fight is coming.

Jorge Masvidal (Welterweight): Given a title shot on short notice in June 2020, only manages to win a single round on one judges scorecard. Does not fight again until his rematch in April 2021 during which he is knocked out in the second round.

Dominick Reyes (Light Heavyweight): Has a very competitive title fight with Jon Jones in February 2020 which he loses via unanimous decision. Is immediately given another title shot in September 2020 for the vacant LHW belt and proceeds to be knocked out in the third round of an uncompetitive title fight.

Daniel Cormier (Heavyweight): Given an immediate rematch after being knocked out in his second title defense; loses the rematch via unanimous decision.

TBD:

Justin Gaethje (Lightweight): Has not fought since he was finished in the second round of his October 2020 title fight and appears to be holding out for another title shot or number one contenders bout.

Michael Chandler (Lightweight): Stated immediately after losing that he would be back within 12 months and UFC color commentator Jon Anik suggested today Chandler may deserve an immediate rematch.

Zhang Weili (Strawweight): Is calling for an immediate rematch at a 'neutral' site after being finished in the first round of her second title defense. Was the most inactive champion of 2020.

Stipe Miocic: Is apparently "beefing up" for another title shot since he believes he was knocked out in his very uncompetitive fight with Francis Ngannou because he came in too small.
Agreed.

And in particular sick to death of seeing boring Stipe "I get ktfo, but plz give me a rematch or I'll sit and sulk' Miocic getting rematches after bad loses.
He never should have even got the return match against a 40 yr old Cormier.

Yes no shit it happens you bellend. I get you've got the attitude of a WWE fanboy where the biggest stars always face each other but understand my point; I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, I'm saying it happens way too often and you're an idiot for celebrating it.How have you not picked up on this?

Masvidal shouldn't have gotten that 2nd title shot and should be a million miles away from getting another title shot, especially whilst Usman remains champion. By your logic there shouldn't be any issue giving Masvidal a third undeserved title fight, he's still a bigger draw than Colby, or Leon or Wonderboy even with his most recent one-sided 2nd loss in a row to the same fighter. He shouldn't even have to fight again in the interim. Hell even if Conor loses he should get the next title shot because it would make the UFC the most money. I bet when you get asked who your favorite champion is you say Masvidal with his BMF gimmick ffs.

Honestly you have to be trolling, if so not a bad effort. Otherwise WWE's calling.
The business side is closer to WWE than the NFL

Have fun whining about fighters popularity helping them get title shots for the rest of time, it will always exist

Honestly the UFC makes the right fight 90% of the time

Should only be a rematch if it's a split decision. Will never happen though as that wouldn't benefit Conor.

Back