The New Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts

GalegoREB

He Who Talks Loud, Saying Nothing
@Orange
Reaction score

A basic summary:
Kicks to the kidneys when in full guard are legal.
You can no longer extend your hands with fingers pointing to your opponent ( fingers can be up or hand must be closed).
One hand on the ground is no longer considered a grounded opponent.
New paradigm of judging puts emphasis on damage over volume.
10-8 rounds will be more common. The criteria will be damage, domination and duration.

Last edited:
14 minutes long?

Where are the....

216074_5_.jpg

tretat-france-cliffs.jpg

@GelegoREB why the hell can't I reply to your posts?

I get this:
The following error occurred:
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Other posters ain't a problem, never had this before.

Anyway, you can still extend your arm and your hand, but just not to the face.

Post usada big John is just as good as pre usada!

You can no longer extend your hands with fingers pointing to your opponent ( fingers can be up or hand must be closed).

Bad news for Jon Jones.

Edit: Sounds great if applied correctly. Fighters who get their asses kicked should lose.

1231627_534263456653465_1449401384_n.jpg

b9472cb5a4bd04363d2b6c5d4d28fc53

maxresdefault.jpg

Also the criteria for 10-9 and 10-8 rounds is pretty much the same. 10-9 has always been for close rounds. The problem was that judges never used that criteria and rounds with a clear winner were often scored 10-9.

Last edited:

Bad news for Jon Jones.

He'll start doing eye pokes with the toes

Looking forward to some brutal head kicks after scrambles

A basic summary:
10-8 rounds will be more common. The criteria will be damage, domination and duration.

This i dont like, 10-8 in a 3 round fight? Isnt the criteria the same already? A fighter thats near ending the fight some times gets a 10-8 round, but it usually ends up in a weird decision.....You know which fight im talking about.

Hopefully 10-7 is the new 10-8, and more 10-8 and 10-10 are given. An all round back control round now being a 10-8 is a huge game changer. My guess is that dominant grapplers will be getting the best out of this.

@GelegoREB why the hell can't I reply to your posts?

I get this:
The following error occurred:
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Other posters ain't a problem, never had this before.

Anyway, you can still extend your arm and your hand, but just not to the face.
I have no idea

The new extended finger rule will end up being another one that is broken often but only results in warnings just like all the rest.

The new extended finger rule will end up being another one that is broken often but only results in warnings just like all the rest.
Well before the ref could warn them but there wasn't a rule so if they took a point away the fighter could dispute it. With the rule starting in 2017 a ref can take a point away. It's a good thing imo and you know a ref like John will enforce it.

A basic summary:

I have a strange feeling the new 10-8 round thing is going to cause problems.

Bad news for Jon Jones.

Edit: Sounds great if applied correctly. Fighters who get their asses kicked should lose.

1231627_534263456653465_1449401384_n.jpg

b9472cb5a4bd04363d2b6c5d4d28fc53

maxresdefault.jpg

Also the criteria for 10-9 and 10-8 rounds is pretty much the same. 10-9 has always been for close rounds. The problem was that judges never used that criteria and rounds with a clear winner were often scored 10-9.

under the old rules, woodley would get a 10-9 first round vs wonderboy. under the new rules he gets a 10-8 possibly.

let's be very ready; these new rules about damage v volume will be great, but they will NOT slow down complaining whatsoever. in fact, it may increase it.

Jeff Sherwood loves the decision complainers. mo money, mo money.

Back