The N word in hip hop

Big L

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
im really having a hard time understanding how rules for the N word work.

So it’s such an incendiary word, for sure. In hip hop, I think it’s always kind of been a crutch. I actually respect white rappers a bit more simply because they can’t use it as a crutch and have to truly rely on good word play and skills. You can agree or disagree here, it doesn’t matter for the arguments sake.

There was definitely always a pass given to Fat Joe and Big Pun and even Jennifer Lopez but in today’s racial climate, why is the hip hop community accepting the Tekashi’s of the world using the word?

It seems counterproductive. Agree or disagree? Who else is constantly using the word that shouldn’t?

So it’s such an incendiary word, for sure. In hip hop, I think it’s always kind of been a crutch. I actually respect white rappers a bit more simply because they can’t use it as a crutch and have to truly rely on good word play and skills. You can agree or disagree here, it doesn’t matter for the arguments sake.

There was definitely always a pass given to Fat Joe and Big Pun and even Jennifer Lopez but in today’s racial climate, why is the hip hop community accepting the Tekashi’s of the world using the word?

It seems counterproductive. Agree or disagree? Who else is constantly using the word that shouldn’t?
Puerto Ricans are part colored so its not a strech for them to use it.

If they want to desicrate a corpse that’s their prerogative. Necrophilia is the N word you meant right.

I do not like the term from anyone. However, you see more leniency towards those who come from similar backgrounds who may not be "black". Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans (Tekashi is both I believe) come from many of the same communities as blacks. Or they live close enough that they experience many of the same circumstances, and hardships.

They're "official" so to speak. "Really from there". I've known Arabs, and Irish people to use the word. They've never used it as a means to be "cool" "trendy" or exploit the black culture. The ones I've known to use it literally came from those same neighborhoods, so they're "from there". I feel the use of the word in and of itself is counterproductive. It attempted to take a negative, and create a positive from it. Same thing with the word "bitch". It was a negative, but now some are using it as a term of endearment or empowerment? It can be good or bad depending on who uses it, and how they use it? Yeah.....it's too much in my mind.

Black guy here. I use to argue with people (mostly white folks) who would get mad because black folks would use the N Word and they couldn't not even if they were using it as a term of endearment. I would tell them straight up, "you don't get to decide how black people get to use words as it pertains to our culture." And I still kind of stand by this statement to a certain extent.

But what happened when black folk started referring to themselves by arguably the most popular and disgusting racial slur is that we lost our moral ground at this point to really get offended about other races using the N word. If you are going to continuing call each other such a hateful term, then you sort of lose the moral authority about who gets to say what because you mainstreamed the word in everyday speak and rap/hip hop lyrics. That is not to excuse any non-black person who uses the word in a positive or negative fashion but you can't walk around the house smoking cigs in front of your children and expect them not to pick up your habits.

I feel like there's an entire generation now that is desensitized to what the word really means because for all of their life it has been basically treated as a filler word for rap songs.

IMO either everyone should be able to say it or no one otherwise you get situations like this.... Invited on stage to sing a song... which as a fan white,black,yellow,purple, an alien from Mars etc you should be able to sing it...
And if the word offends you so much why have it in a song?

IMO either everyone should be able to say it or no one otherwise you get situations like this.... Invited on stage to sing a song... which as a fan white,black,yellow,purple, an alien from Mars etc you should be able to sing it...

This is a real example of what I mean. So if the girl that came onstage was Mexican or Puerto Rican, would it have been ok? And furthermore, it’s so weird that there is music, words really, and even as a fan, it isn’t acceptable for you to say them unless you meet some unspoken prerequisites. That’s pretty racist.

White kids say it amongst black kids now in high schools and middle schools with the a. Its losing its sensitivity

White kids say it amongst black kids now in high schools and middle schools with the a. Its losing its sensitivity
LOL. Listening to 16-year olds tell you what's going on in the world is an easy way to get yourself injured or killed.

It's like Alex Jones watching chicks with dicks in private, but opposing it in public.

LOL. Listening to 16-year olds tell you what's going on in the world is an easy way to get yourself injured or killed.

I'm not listening to what they tell me. I'm hearing it first person with white and black kids on sports teams using :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: as a replacement for bro on a regular basis. You can see it on Twitter and IG as well between friends of both races

Simple rule - If you're Black you can use it. If you're not Black be very very VERY careful. Use it at our own risk.

I say :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: often, but my best friend, my BEST friend is Cuban so that makes it ok.

7CA869B8-77CF-485D-AA7C-F48B4F92CA4E.gif

Then you get this though

People of different races together having a good time?
Exactly. Nobody made a big deal of it, everyone got along, and the artist seems really happy about it.

Last edited:
Exactly. Nobody made a big deal of it, everyone got a long, and the artist seems really happy about it.

Agree 100 percent. Thats why I said everyone should be able to say it or no one at all, otherwise you alienate every other race of your audience who says it.
You wrote the lyrics, you werent offended writing them, let your fans(whatever their race) sing it.

Not just now. There are videos from the early 90's of white people rapping it in front of black crowds.

Back