The Mythical benefit to being a "Company Man"

Cheatr Pan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Gilbert Burns accepted a fight against the best prospect in recent history. A guy who most of the division was avoiding like the plague. He went toe to toe with him in a fight of the year candidate. Cracked him, dropped him, bloodied him in the biggest fight on the PPV.

And the UFC rewards him by giving him a fight against Neil Magny? A dangerous journeyman with no name ranked #12? It's a lose-lose situation for Gilbert, who is at the twilight of his career and deserves one more run at gold. What a sick joke.

I love shitting on the UFC when it's appropriate, but in this case the fight was thrown together to get Burns to fight in Brazil. He's been trying to fight Masvidal.

Really depends imo. If you are a contender or top fighter, it doesn't help you. If you are a journeyman, it often does. Look at company man Angela Hill. 2-5 in her last seven fights, .500 overall, and her career is going strong. Hell, they even micced her up and let her analyze fights a few times.

Burns has been the best number 3,4 and now 5th ranked fighter maybe in the promotions history but the reason for that is there's really no path forward through the Marty, Leon, Colby Chimaev quartert. It's going to take a long time for someone other than those 4 to get a title shot. He had his chance against Chimaev and I don't think he's going to get another one tbh.

Burns's scenario was Marty beating Edwards and Chimaev then going back to him because Martys beaten Colby twice already. Edwards win delays that process years.

Exactly what inga said.

If you’ve got no chance to get that diva dime and you’re not oozing excitement then you better get on your knees and bring a pillow for rug burn.

Sam Alvey was a company and it worked out for a while or look at Jessica Eye. You can be stinkers for fighters and still keep your job for a good amount of time.

Gilbert Burns accepted a fight against the best prospect in recent history. A guy who most of the division was avoiding like the plague. He went toe to toe with him in a fight of the year candidate. Cracked him, dropped him, bloodied him in the biggest fight on the PPV.

And the UFC rewards him by giving him a fight against Neil Magny? A dangerous journeyman with no name ranked #12? It's a lose-lose situation for Gilbert, who is at the twilight of his career and deserves one more run at gold. What a sick joke.

I actually don't really agree. They given burns a fight he should be favoured to win v a ranked opponent. A win here puts burns back in the title picture and probably only 1 win away from another shot. If Burns loses again with the way the rankings are it would be a long way back for him.

Bad example

They were trying to give him Jorge Masvidal

And being a company man pays off. Unranked Kevin Holland is headlining a Fightnight card against #6 in the rankings off of a loss tonight... and that is being commented by company man DC

You're off on this one

I mean, I don't think you can blame the UFC on this one. They have repeatedly tried to set up a fight with Masvidal for Burns. Burns has called out every top 10 guy and everybody either said no or didn't respond. Magny is the only guy that wants it.

Unless you get it in writing , never trust Dana's word on any type of bone he says he will throw you...

Too many fighters make that mistake and then get an L and regret it

The UFC wanted to reward Burns with Masvidal but Masvidal didn't want the fight and you only get paid if you fight (or the ufc doesn't offer you 3 fights within a calendar). Burns needed to get paid and Neil is mid risk mid reward guy. If Burns can't beat magny then he shouldn't be worried about the title.

With that said being ufc company men has definitely helped fighters. Backstage discretionary bonuses were more than a fighter's purse according to Faber. DC got the million dollar bonus in his first lost to Jon.

Be a company men and go out like Frankie Edgar. Only a losing steak but racking up fights ethic equals $$$$$$.
Or be difficult to work with like Nate Diaz or ngannou and sit out your best years trying to negotiate while getting worse everyday.

Unless you get it in writing , never trust Dana's word on any type of bone he says he will throw you...

Too many fighters make that mistake and then get an L and regret it
What would've happened if they won instead of losing.
If I make you a promise based off you winning and you lose and I can no longer fulfill what I promised because you lost that's your problem.

What would've happened if they won instead of losing.
If I make you a promise based off you winning and you lose and I can no longer fulfill what I promised because you lost that's your problem.
Yea but in the case if filling in last minute as a favor for the ufc, you should get something solid beside just another fight.

A lot of times fighters get a whole new multi fight contract with a pay bump for all future fights for filling in last minute in a big fight and helping the UFC

Who else should he fight on the Brazil card? Nagny isn't an easy fight, but should be a pretty routine win for Burns.

It should be an easy win for Gilbert. If it isn't, there's nothing the UFC can do for him because it just means he's not champion-material.

And also- Gilbert could have fought big names like Masvidal or Colby, it's just that they were the ones who turned him down.

People duckin' G-Burns.

Magny fights anyone.

Burns is not in the twilight of his career

Back