The MW Division is STACKED where does it stand?

Johnny Drama

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Even without Strikeforce, the UFC MW division is pretty deep.
Not that a few more Top Dogs will be coming over to the UFC how will this play out?

Weidman- True #1 Contender 5-0 in UFC (Injured)
Boetsch- 4-0 since dropping to MW(Fighting Philippou UFC155)
Belcher- 4 fight win streak all finishes(Fighting Okami UFC155)
Belfort- 2 fight win streak in MW div since loss to Anderson(Fighting Bisping 1/19/13)
Bisping- 1 fight streak since loss to Sonnen, won 5 of last 6 (Fighting Vitor 1/19/13)
Rockhold- 9 fight win streak 9-0 in SF MW Division (Next Fight unknown)
Jacare- 6-1 in SF only loss to Rockhold 2 fight streak (Fighting Ed Herman 1/12/13)
Lombard- 1 fight streak 1-1 in UFC

This should be interesting, Dana said with a Victory Bisping would probably get a shot, giving Bisping a title shot on only a 2 fight streak.
If Boetsch wins thats 5 in a row and should set up a Weidman fight to set up #1
If Belcher wins that would be 5 in a row and could be 1 fight away from a shot.
Rockhold not sure what needs to happen for him.
Its going to be crowded, we will find out a good bit after UFC 155 next saturday.

Win streaks are massively overrated. Performance and quality of competition are just as important.

In my books some losses say better things about a fighter than some wins. For example, I give Bisping more props for his highly contested loss to Sonnen than to Boetsch for his "win" against Lombard.

Every division is stacked nowadays. I know some are better than others but the UFC has gotten to the point where there are some serious contenders across the board!!

Every division is stacked nowadays. I know some are better than others but the UFC has gotten to the point where there are some serious contenders across the board!!

Well, flyweight and women are still pretty thin, but I agree that all other divisions have tons of good/great fighters. With the Strikeforce addition 2013 will be a great year!

Well, flyweight and women are still pretty thin, but I agree that all other divisions have tons of good/great fighters. With the Strikeforce addition 2013 will be a great year!

Yeah, the women aren't that deep. I don't see that changing either, it's just not a natural thing for women to be full of testosterone & want to fight for a living.

There are a few exceptions but I just don't see womens MMA taking over anytime soon.

It's definitely exciting..curious how Mark Munoz will bounce back after his loss and how he would fare against some of the fighters you listed, also curious if some LHW's will drop down and spice things up even further...If Vitor KO's Bisping will they then give him Weidman or the winner of Belcher/Okami, or will he get another title shot? We shall see...

Win streaks are massively overrated. Performance and quality of competition are just as important.

In my books some losses say better things about a fighter than some wins. For example, I give Bisping more props for his highly contested loss to Sonnen than to Boetsch for his "win" against Lombard.

I think the same way, maybe its because of I watched MMA during the pride era, where fighters were respected during their loses, because if they lost impressively they were cheered for.

I agree in some sense, but to say massively overrated is ridiculous

Not that a few more Top Dogs will be coming over to the UFC how will this play out?

Belfort- 2 fight win streak in MW div since loss to Anderson(Fighting Bisping 1/19/13)
Bisping- 1 fight streak since loss to Sonnen, won 5 of last 6 (Fighting Vitor 1/19/13)
Jacare- 6-1 in SF only loss to Rockhold 2 fight streak (Fighting Ed Herman 1/12/13)

This should be interesting, Dana said with a Victory Bisping would probably get a shot, giving Bisping a title shot on only a 2 fight streak.
Its going to be crowded, we will find out a good bit after UFC 155 next saturday.

I wouldnt exactly call the MW div STACKED... There is alot of Undersized WW's and people that just cant go anywhere at LHW to be a contender. The LW division and WW division id call STACKED but i feel the MW and HW division is the weakest of the whole UFC

Weidman- Although impressive so far, still dosent have the skill to beat Anderson
Boetsch- Not much talent there, hes a modified slugger.
Belcher- Love Belcher but he still isnt champion quality.
Belfort- Love Vitor too but is past his prime. Got destroyed by Anderson
Bisping- At the end of his career and has zero chance of beating Anderson
Rockhold- Although not fully tested yet, he only had the belt in SF for lack of depth.
Jacare- I think this is the only guy that currently stands a chance to beat Anderson
Lombard- Hes good at what he does but is slow and anderson would destroy him.

I dont see how this division is stacked sorry. :icon_conf

Back