The key to a Dustin victory

Egészségére!

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The best chance Dustin has to pull off an upset is on the ground imo.

The main theories go something like stuffing takedowns and outstriking Khabib on the feet. But how many other fighters have tried this and how'd that go? Now it's a flying knee ko (which I predicted in the Masvidal fight). But that's a low % move and Khabib saw what happened so you know he'll be looking out for it even more now.

Fact is Dustin has a bjj black belt and an underrated ground game. Plus his coach Mike Brown is a great grappler with 13 subs of his own. Even Conor made good point in saying it was a tactical mistake to train only ground defense, and that's the key to a Dustin victory. Khabib's used to everyone conceding that part of the game and just trying to survive the ground and get back up so the element of surprise will be with Dustin.

So when it inevitably goes to the ground Dustin will look like he's just trying to survive, create an opening, turn aggressive and lock in some type of submission.

Prediction: If Dustin wins it'll be by submission

iu

Nah imo poirers best chance is to light him up on the feet, going to the ground should be his secondary plan. Poirers striking is light years ahead of khabibs, but khabib can afford to strike poorly because of that granite chin and ability to get a takedown from anywhere.

But I agree poirers sub game is awesome, just I find it hard to think poirer would get khabib down and sub him from top, and no matter how good you are off your back khabibs top game is so intense.

But Ortega would sub khabib off his back tbh. Rather easily, that is if he didn’t already finish him striking on the feet.

Nah imo poirers best chance is to light him up on the feet, going to the ground should be his secondary plan. Poirers striking is light years ahead of khabibs, but khabib can afford to strike poorly because of that granite chin and ability to get a takedown from anywhere.

But I agree poirers sub game is awesome, just I find it hard to think poirer would get khabib down and sub him from top, and no matter how good you are off your back khabibs top game is so intense.

But Ortega would sub khabib off his back tbh. Rather easily, that is if he didn’t already finish him striking on the feet.
Lol
Stick to your day job

Be lucky, you know like Jones. When the fight doesn't go your way, let the judges help you out a bit, a round decides everything. Or miraculously, your opponent hurts his own leg. Luck is #1 in mma.

I think he should go for broke while its standing and when he gets taken down, work his bjj dont waste energy trying to get up. Imo cardio is the key, but you've gotta take risks standing

I don't know about the idea of playing possum on the ground and lulling Khabib into a sub.
Maintaining position and control seems to be literally in his DNA.

A prayer and a stick.

Still, probably wouldn't win.

Nah hes going to punch Khabib really hard in the head/face, khabib is going to panic and go back to looking amateur in striking, and get caught and finished by tko.

Will bump this after the fight

Now it's a flying knee ko (which I predicted in the Masvidal fight).

Thanks for the link, verifying.

the only way I see Jorge winning is by ko/tko from an elbow or knee

but the odds don't favor it

Uhhh where did you predict a flying knee again?
You clearly stated the odds don't favor him winning. And nowhere do you mention a flying knee.

Fact check fails.
Sorry.

Dustin should repeatedly go for the Oilcheck and get the wrath of whole islamic Dhagestan after his win.

Flying knee is not going to work on Khabib, it worked on Askren because of Askren's style.

I think Dustin's best shot is on the feet, but we'll see.

Dustin's best chance is for him take an illegal knee to his face and just quit. Other than that hes fcked.

id say dustin's best chance is to survive the first 2 rounds and come out swinging big in the 3rd or whenever khabib tries to take a break. khabib took some minutes off in rounds 3-5 with raging al. the conor fight was more recent and i dont recall khabib looking too winded, so maybe it was just a one off thing with the raging al fight.

but going off of that fight, if im dustin i make khabib work early to tire him out ASAP, then when khabib tries to slow it down and take some time off you have to pour it on. their is def a path to victory for him, bigger than what people will admit

I believe the key is going Henry Cejudo mode. Dustin needs to bring the pressure. I don’t think backing off, while being defensive is an effecting game plan against Khabib. Condition is also key. I hope Poirier gets a lot of tough rounds in with Colby at ATT. Sprawl and brawl till the lungs bleed. Poirier has better Muay Thai. I’d like to see him implement some knees, elbows and dirty mma boxing.

Last edited:
I believe the key is going Henry Cejudo mode. Dustin needs to bring the pressure. I don’t think backing off will be an effecting game plan. Condition is also key. I hope Poirier gets a lot of tough rounds in with Colby at ATT. Sprawl and brawl till his lungs bleedS

That's a tall order tho, if you press khabib you're pressing right into a takedown. Khabib is responsible af with his defense but imo play keep away and tag him till he starts lunging for the TD then you have a chance to land something big

Khabibs improved his hands, has a great jab and a high guard but he's not gonna wanna stand with ANYBODY. If you get to close he's taking you down it's almost a given lol. But the times he hasn't been able to secure the TD he clearly gets frustrated.

If you can frustrate him by denying him the TD by keeping distance and tagging him every chance you get eventually he'll do something stupid and desperate. Lotta stubborn pride in that one, willing to bet he'll start making mistakes if you can crack thru that granite thick composure.

Last edited:
Its hard to sup someone like Khabib. His ground controll is his bread and butter

Back