The JJ Lab: "Pressure: On top with Guilherme Mendes"

Great article thanks for posting. I actually like studying Gui more than Rafael because he tends to move a bit slower so its easier to pick up his details.

Thanks for the heads up sir. That fake guard pull to an ankle pick looks awesome. I wish there were more videos on the Mendes bros' style of passing such as kneeslides, leg drags, and long steps.

Always good articles!

Gui uses the fake guard pull to ankle pic on us a lot. It is pretty funny, you know it is coming yet can do absolutely nothing to stop it.

All the passes he uses is part of our game at my school. Especially the long step passes, so effective.

Thanks for the heads up sir. That fake guard pull to an ankle pick looks awesome. I wish there were more videos on the Mendes bros' style of passing such as kneeslides, leg drags, and long steps.

There is, on their website.

Guilherme Mendes - long step pass to long step to kimura... niiiiiccee

(I posted that a while back in an article about their seminar. Can't believe I forgot to bust that out in the "long step" thread)

Also, thanks for posting this, Drew.

Love everything you write man, keep up the good work.

Man, it's like Gui Mendes is a no-gi Bigfoot. One ADCC Trials match from 2009 is really all there is to see. Even on the Mendes Bros training online, all of the no-gi rolling footage so far has been Rafa.

I'd love to see how he translates some of these movements into no-gi and what else he focuses on.

what happened a the beginning ? why the push ?

Gui's game always looks more normal and conventional to me than Rafa's.

Like that long step to kimura, Rafa would be launching into a rolling anaconda to counter that underhook.

Just so no one gets confused, I did not write this article. TangoMF did. He's the head of the JJ Lab.

Man, it's like Gui Mendes is a no-gi Bigfoot. One ADCC Trials match from 2009 is really all there is to see. Even on the Mendes Bros training online, all of the no-gi rolling footage so far has been Rafa.

I'd love to see how he translates some of these movements into no-gi and what else he focuses on.

It is becasue he dosen't like no gi lol. I think he is teaching us no gi next wed though, not 100% sure though.

what happened a the beginning ? why the push ?

Gui won a close match, 0-0, up by an advantage or so. But then swung an imaginary sword to kill an imaginary opponent as part of his victory celebration. That pissed off Samuel Braga, who was then stripped of his silver for shoving gui. Later the ibjjf banned "excessive" victory celebrations.

Gui won a close match, 0-0, up by an advantage or so. But then swung an imaginary sword to kill an imaginary opponent as part of his victory celebration. That pissed off Samuel Braga, who was then stripped of his silver for shoving gui. Later the ibjjf banned "excessive" victory celebrations.

thanks for the explanation.. lol at " the ibjjf banned excessive victory celebrations "

Back