The HW division isn't weak

So I'm seeing this sentence being said a lot and I must say I disagree.

Firstly, the fact that the top guys are in their mid-to-late 30s is a testament to how great they are. Miocic, Reem, Dos Santos, Cain, Werdum are all great fighters. Pretty soon they'll get old and young guys like Ngannou, Blaydes will overtake them. Is normal.

Secondly, I'm tired of people using the Black Beast and Big Country as proof that the division sucks. No it does not. It only shows us what we already know. That sometimes but not always, 'crude' fighters can go far into the sport on sheer toughness and guts. In boxing there was Marciano, at LW there is Gaethje. These guys all have/had a degree of skill to put that toughness to good use.

So relax guys, HW isn't weak.
It's got talented fighters but it's weak in terms of consistent contenders and champions. I think this is largely due to the fact that in HW everyone carries KO power.
Any fight can be ended by a single shot.

It's an extremely dangerous divison, which is probably why Jones is hesitant to move up.
I'm not sure if his size advantage would work very well at HW.

Maybe you should watch more Mark Hunt fights because Mark Hunt is so much better at 43 than he was 33 that it's not even comparable, the guy was considered a can before joining the UFC.
He was getting koed and taken down at will by fighters 100 pounds lighter than him, now he is making 280 pounds juiced Brock Lennar work to get the takedown and being hold down.
I think Mark Hunt has always been about the same fighter as he was when he started out in Pride. His first fight against Yoshida I was even surprised with his ground game for a kickboxer. He's always had decent ground skills. I know he lost 5 fights in a row but they could all beat him today, who knows. Maybe he's improved his tdd and overall ground game a little bit but his chin is not nearly the same. 10 years ago his chin was the best of all time chins. He doesn't have that anymore. I don't think his striking is as good either. Like I said Hunt is about the same when it comes to how good of a fighter he is overall. 11 years ago he was a top 10 fighter. Right now he is a top 10 fighter. It's the HW division and it hasn't evolved really since 2003.

Back