The Grind: Vol 1 with Justin Rader

How many of you had the opportunity to wrestle while you were in school? Looking back, I wish I would've wrestled in HS...

No wrestling unfortunately. I did gymnastics though, since I was 6 years old. Our Olympic Training Center (in Ecuador) had a big facility in which all the national teams' members trained together. Next to the gymnastics place there was the judo training facility (another missed opportunity).

Thanks. I am going to shoot you an e-mail now about Soca's podcast. :)

I wrestled until HS, then stopped because of small town wrestling politics. I wish I had wrestled, but I definitely don't wish I had wrestled with the coaching staff that was available to me.

That's the only downside to high school sports, the coaches tend to be god awful. All the good coaches generally find better uses for their time, Rader was lucky to grow up in the same area that produced extremely capable wrestlers.

No wrestling unfortunately. I did gymnastics though, since I was 6 years old. Our Olympic Training Center (in Ecuador) had a big facility in which all the national teams' members trained together. Next to the gymnastics place there was the judo training facility (another missed opportunity).

Thanks. I am going to shoot you an e-mail now about Soca's podcast. :)

How do you feel your gymnastics has helped your grappling? Frank Shamrock always told me to build the best MMA fighter take half gymnastics, half Submission grappling and turn em loose!!

*edit* sounds like Justin started in gymnastics as well.

Erik Paulson was also a huge advocate of gymnastics. A lot of his warm ups and drills are based around gymnastics. Gymnasts are probably the strongest and most flexible pound for pound athletes out there. The body awareness they pick up is amazing as well.

VOL 2 is up!
rader2.jpg

http://www.openmatradio.com/category/podcasts/
In Vol. 2 of "The Grind with Justin Rader" we learn about Justin's endeavors on and off the mat. Justin takes us through his grueling schedule that blends graduate level studies with international level competitive jiu jitsu. We discuss how Justin has developed his jiu jitsu style, the role Ryan Hall may have played and why he isn't afraid of rematching top blackbelts like Rubens "Cobrinha" Charles and Rafael Mendes of the Mendes Bros. We also discuss weight cutting, nutrition, his evolution as a martial artist and what it means to be a "Master".

In this episode we also touch base with Jon Thomas the founder of Tap Cancer Out. We discuss the amazing success TCO has had in 2012 and their goals for 2013. Be sure to check out their latest project here http://www.indiegogo.com/tapcancerout

Back