"The greatest contender to come out of europe..."

AndreDGiant4eva

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Was just re-watching the shogun/gus fight on fuel and goldberg says something like "Gustafson may be the greatest contender to come out of europe in a decade." It got me to thinking, who would I put on that list above him. If we only look at UFC contenders since that was the context it was said in, I don't know who the right answer is.

Overeem hasn't lost in the UFC and is a big contender at HW

Bisping has probably had the most marquee fights of any european in the UFC

Hardy fought for the ww belt

Crocop had the most hype behind him of anyone coming into the UFC but didnt really live up to it in the octagon

Kampmann has been a contender at both mw and lw, always coming up just a little bit short

Siver was a legit contender at a point at lw and I think he could fight for the fw belt now

Not sure if Belarus is technically european, but if so Arlovski would be the obvious answer and maybe what Goldberg is alluding to with his decade comment.

Who would you pick as the greatest UFC contender to come out of Europe in the last decade? Is there anyone I'm forgetting?

Goldberg slipping into hyperbole? Say it ain't so.

In the UFC, I'd say Overeem

CroCop looked like he might be the guy to take down Fedor at one point, so he'd be my overall winner.

Overeem then Gustafsson. None of the other guys were serious contenders imo.

Alex has accomplished more than Bisping, Kampmann and siver.

Plus he probably meant in the LHW division

Bisping is the greatest fighter to come from Europe

ITT either people: a) do not know how many years a decade is, or b) cannot count to 10.

Which one are you TS?

Then use his whole context.....

Some of you fighters have been around longer then 10 years.... Fix your list and get back to us where Gus stands.....

ITT either people: a) do not know how many years a decade is, or b) cannot count to 10.

Which one are you TS?

I actually am a masters statistics student with an undergraduate degree in mathematics, but I appreciate the insight on the counting to ten. I took his context to mean that has entered the UFC in the last decade, not began their fighting career in the last decade. I'm not sure what year Arlovski entered the UFC but none of the other guys I listed joined before 2002.

You are either
a) a douche who would rather police grammar than give a meaningful reply, or
b) all of the above

I actually am a masters statistics student with an undergraduate degree in mathematics, but I appreciate the insight on the counting to ten. I took his context to mean that has entered the UFC in the last decade, not began their fighting career in the last decade. I'm not sure what year Arlovski entered the UFC but none of the other guys I listed joined before 2002.

You are either
a) a douche who would rather police grammar than give a meaningful reply, or
b) all of the above

So you know what happens when you assume right? He did not mean best fighter to come into UFC..... Since 99% of the best fighters are already there.. He ment period.. Bottom line son.

So you know what happens when you assume right? He did not mean best fighter to come into UFC..... Since 99% of the best fighters are already there.. He ment period.. Bottom line son.

He knows what happens when he assumes. He assumed he knew what context Goldberg said it in. His assumption was wrong.

Point taken. Then forget the goldberg quote and let me make a thread which questions which european fighter to enter the UFC in the past ten years was at one time/is the most legitimate threat in their division. I thought it was interesting because there was no clear choice to me and I wanted to gauge what sherdog's opinion was. Apologies for the assuming.

You didn't think crocop was a serious contender to randy when he joined the promotion?

he didn't mean when he joined the org. No one would of thought anything like that when Gus joined.

I don't see how you could possibly think that's what he meant.

he didn't mean when he joined the org. No one would of thought anything like that when Gus joined.

I don't see how you could possibly think that's what he meant.

What I meant was before his decline. When he fought Eddie Sanchez then was going into the Gonzaga fight. If he wins that fight he was heavily favored in then he gets the fight against randy that Gonzaga got. That was Crocop's peak in the UFC as far as contendership. Everyone on sherdog was basically calling him the uncrowned champ of HW and he would have been a big favorite against randy.

I understand that I misinterpreted what Goldberg meant, but its late and Im a little drunk on my winter break. That doesn't mean its a worthless question just because it comes from a misinterpretation. I still want to know who was the most relevant contender to come out of europe at their peak in the UFC.

Back