The Great Convergence or our Time. -40F/C looms

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those that do not know at Minus 40 both Celsius and Ferenheit converge.

No need to do any math. If it is Minus 40, it is minus 40 in both.

upload_2020-1-15_10-29-24.png

What do people in Edmonton, like @TheWorm do with these temps?

This is a pub just around the corner from my condo.

Freezing cold weather is patio season for some Edmontonians

polar.png

Members of the Polar Patio Club attempt to have a drink outside on one of the coldest nights in Edmonton

The patio at Rocky Mountain Icehouse in downtown Edmonton was full of people on one of the coldest nights of the year.

Temperatures were in the minus thirties on Tuesday night as about 20 people bought a drink and headed out to the patio. All the patrons were attempting to brave the temperatures and try to enjoy a beer or cocktail. Complimentary hot drinks were also available.

The icy evening on the patio has to do with the YEG Polar Patio Club, which was started about two years ago.

(I am ok with the cold generally but am feeling lucky to be in sunny/warm Arizona and missing this cold spell)
@rj144

How do the beers not freeze? I know alcohol doesn't freeze but beer doesn't have enough ABV to be freeze-proof.

I saw someone walking down the street sipping on a slurpee today, when it was -48c with windchill...

That's insane, I take it they have homeless shelters for every homeless person otherwise they'd die?
Coldest I've been in was Minnesota, I remember it was 12 degrees and sunny outside and my exposed face hurt and the parking lot was covered in ice.
Also, I was in Maine and there was snow on the beach, that was surprising. And in Boston there were watch for falling ice signs when we were walking around downtown.

When it’s like 65 degrees, I’ve got on my sweats and sweatshirt.

upload_2020-1-15_14-29-32.png

I'd take -40 any day over this bullshit.

I saw someone walking down the street sipping on a slurpee today, when it was -48c with windchill...
I drink slurpee all year long tbh.

That an Iced tea.

(and we have some -40 too were I live)

That's insane, I take it they have homeless shelters for every homeless person otherwise they'd die?
Coldest I've been in was Minnesota, I remember it was 12 degrees and sunny outside and my exposed face hurt and the parking lot was covered in ice.
Also, I was in Maine and there was snow on the beach, that was surprising. And in Boston there were watch for falling ice signs when we were walking around downtown.
The major cities in Canada susceptible to this kind of cold all have Emergency Powers they can enact to try and deal with the homeless on days like this.

Shelters will be kept open and maximize but also city libraries, City Hall, the Subway under ground areas and more will all be kept open and accessible for over night stays and staffed. They also send out roaming patrol units to try and convince the homeless to come in but you will still see some hard core homeless parked over heat vents or in other makeshift tents and staying out.

All citizens are asked to call 311 and report if you think a homeless person could need help or 911 if more serious.

Snowstorm in Vancouver today. I was halfway to work when I got the call saying not to bother. Today is officially the first snow day of my life and I'm 32 and grew up in the Canadian prairies. It would be -50 with 4 feet of snow and school or work has never been cancelled. Thankfully people in Vancouver absolutely suck at snow and cold weather. At home drinking coffee now. Shaping up to be a good day.

When it’s like 65 degrees, I’ve got on my sweats and sweatshirt.
I was freezing my ass off this morning when I left for work. 42 degrees is no joke lmao.

It's amazing when you move from an area where it gets really cold, how quickly your tolerance changes when it's warm every day.

The major cities in Canada susceptible to this kind of cold all have Emergency Powers they can enact to try and deal with the homeless on days like this.

Shelters will be kept open and maximize but also city libraries, City Hall, the Subway under ground areas and more will all be kept open and accessible for over night stays and staffed. They also send out roaming patrol units to try and convince the homeless to come in but you will still see some hard core homeless parked over heat vents or in other makeshift tents and staying out.

All citizens are asked to call 311 and report if you think a homeless person could need help or 911 if more serious.

They could open the downtown armouries if they have too in Toronto. There’s places people can go. It sucks though

For those that do not know at Minus 40 both Celsius and Ferenheit converge.

No need to do any math. If it is Minus 40, it is minus 40 in both.

View attachment 710667

What do people in Edmonton, like @TheWorm do with these temps?

This is a pub just around the corner from my condo.

Freezing cold weather is patio season for some Edmontonians

polar.png

Members of the Polar Patio Club attempt to have a drink outside on one of the coldest nights in Edmonton

The patio at Rocky Mountain Icehouse in downtown Edmonton was full of people on one of the coldest nights of the year.

Temperatures were in the minus thirties on Tuesday night as about 20 people bought a drink and headed out to the patio. All the patrons were attempting to brave the temperatures and try to enjoy a beer or cocktail. Complimentary hot drinks were also available.

The icy evening on the patio has to do with the YEG Polar Patio Club, which was started about two years ago.

(I am ok with the cold generally but am feeling lucky to be in sunny/warm Arizona and missing this cold spell)
@rj144

Note the temperature on my car thermometer this morning

nguPzrC.jpg

It was -41 before the windchill where I am last night. Glad I switched jobs so I don't have to work outside in that shit anymore.

Warmest winter I've ever experienced here In southern Ontario. Not sure why anyone lives in Edmonton. The GTA (greater Toronto area) had it's winter early in November, and it's felt like autumn ever since.

-30 is when it's starts to be actual cold

Good to know.

I lived in upstate NY for a little over a year and the coldest I went out in was about -25F. In my limited experienced, everything below 0F felt basically the same. The only difference for me was how quickly my face got numb and how quickly it got tingly after that.

Screw that. I live in a ski town and we don't ever get below what works out to be 0f

Back