The Great Computing Problem Desktop/Tablet User Friendly OS

NetGeek

Occupying Sherdog
Reaction score
I notice more and more people like Apple, Microsoft "Metro", Ubuntu and others trying to make an interface for tablets that is friendly for desktop users. I am amazed at how bad people have failed at achieving said task. Some like Apple try to make the desktop switchable with some of the ios like stuff appearing in the background. Microsoft outright forcing people to become accustom to their tablet interface though offering a rollback option. Ubuntu walking directly into the door face first.

No one seems to be able to produce something that does not upset people familiar with the interface in the past while providing a way to make a transition to an advance interface. I would have never imagined how people have reacted to the change. People are literally telling them to throwout their new OS and put their old stuff back on. People have been pissed off by the moves by these companies and open source communities.

How have peoples experiences have been with all these new OS's and their computers with the new desktops? I would be interested in hearing how people dealt with these changes and do they feel it was forced on them?

I just roll with the punches. Adapt or become obsolete.

That being said I still have a windows 2000 gaming rig that I would choose over any electronic accessory that I own,

I just roll with the punches. Adapt or become obsolete.

That being said I still have a windows 2000 gaming rig that I would choose over any electronic accessory that I own,

Agree but do you think they could have done more research on making an interface that did not alter so much the experience? I am somewhat surprised by how radical the change was to many people. It is literally costing them millions if not billions in lost business because of these radical changes? I am hearing on the boards about how people believe that Microsoft will have to redesign their Metro before they make the move. I heard that Microsoft fired many members of the Metro design team do to the response they got from Corporations. Could their own concepts have run into reality about how people will react to these changes?

It seems like a bad idea altogether. Desktop users by and large don't want a simplified tablet interface, because we don't have small screens that we have to touch with our fingers. I know Windows 8 can be made to function exactly like 7 within a couple of clicks, but I really don't see that point of 'upgrading'.

It seems like a bad idea altogether. Desktop users by and large don't want a simplified tablet interface, because we don't have small screens that we have to touch with our fingers. I know Windows 8 can be made to function exactly like 7 within a couple of clicks, but I really don't see that point of 'upgrading'.

I did a quick search and it does seem that many agree with this assessment. Fuijitsu President went as far as to blame weak PC sales on Windows 8. Dell started to offer Ubuntu Linux boxes as a way to offset problems with Windows 8 sales even when people figure out that Ubuntu's trying to make the same mistakes. Would it have been that hard to create a desktop that was just an enhancement over a more dramatic change? The other problem for Microsoft they don't really have a footprint in the phone and tablet side of businesses. Linux is at least doing something cute but creating the ability to run you Android apps on Linux through an Android layer. Its easier for them when the tablet or PC is running ARM CPU like Samsung's new Chrome OS. Ether way people are not to happy about making changes.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/co...s-poor-sales-on-weak-windows-8-demand-1121758

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/12/26/love-it-or-hate-it-windows-blue-will-likely-keep-metro-ui/

While shopping for Christmas gifts I had considered buying my sister one of those new Surface tablet but Microsoft really screwed the pooch on that product. Assuming Microsoft was thinking like any other reasonable person would I thought the Surface would serve as a great laptop/tablet all in one. To my surprise I found out the damn thing doesn't run regular PC software, you are limited to the app format of the software so in reality its just another tablet. What a dumb fooking move, at a $500-$600 starting price point the only way that POS would have competed with the Ipad would have been to have removed the need for a laptop which they completely failed to do.

Back