The Great American HW Box Off will save Boxing

Who do you think he beats out of them? I think he loses to all three but then again you did say an in-shape Estrada
I wouldn't make him a clear favorite or a clear underdog against any of those guys. I think he wins more than he loses against that level guy because they haven't fought anyone at his level yet and he has faced guys that were better than them (and not done badly at all).

WTF You mean save Boxing?

Boxing is doing awesome.

Now if you mean "save American Heavyweight Division in Boxing" then I agree it may be a good thing.

But that "save boxing" stuff is dumb.

It'll be fun to watch but I don't see any serious challenger emerging out of that group.

The HW American Boxer everyone should be look at his Deontay Wilder. That dude is a monster.

The HW American Boxer everyone should be look at his Deontay Wilder. That dude is a monster.

Is there any reason he was fighting a guy coming off a 7 fight losing streak last year?

It's called climbing the ladder. Which top fighter today has not fought a journeymen with a awful losing streak?

Thats a totally different question, and you know that. If he is the top prospect why is he facing... let's be careful here... guys on a bad run?

Is there any reason he was fighting a guy coming off a 7 fight losing streak last year?

Yeah, maybe he wanted to emulate Marcianno. No actually he'd be a step above if it was only a 7 fight losing streak.

It's called climbing the ladder. Which top fighter today has not fought a journeymen with a awful losing streak?

How may fought one in their 27th bout?

At that stage Vitali was the WBO champ and was facing a peak Chris Byrd.

Wladamir had already won a number of second level titles against decent opposition.

Haye was already a unified cruiserweight champ.

Povetkin still hasn't had 27 pro bouts... and has fought far better competition

Pulev hasn't had 27 bouts yet... and has fought far better competition.

Chagaev had already won and defended his world title.

Fury hasn't had 27 bouts yet... and has fought far better competition.

Arreola was about to face Vitali and had wins over Walker (when he still meant something), Witherspoon, Garcia and McCline as well as a group of untested prospects.

The only person who has anything like a comparable record to Wilder is Boytsov... and even he can point to wins over Maddalone, Pala and Bydenko.

Some allowance has to be given for the fact Wilder had such little amateur experience and came to boxing late but even so his competition has been abject... and worse for every step forwards there's been a step back. Taking on the 9-0-1 Shannon Caudle in his 12th bout wasn't bad (although Caudle has been stopped in every bout since)... but he follows that up by taking on the then 17-20-2 punching bag Harold Sconiers (and he was lucky the ref didn't stop that bout). He looked like he was finally going to step up by taking on Owen Beck and Kertson Manswell back to back... but then drags obese, semi-retired 168lbs Damon McCreary into the ring (picking on natural 175-185lbs fighters is something Wilder has a habit of doing). Price was old and not that great... but at least he was undefeated... but he follows that up with Matthew Greer. Then add in the way he ducked Jennings in about as embarrassing a move as I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen a clearer duck job in my life.

Wilder clearly has natural gifts and talent. But his development has stalled (as it always will if you're bringing in fighters to be blasted out in a handful of rounds) and his refusal to take even a moderate step up in competition seems bizarre. I'm reluctant to call anyone a "monster" when he's facing such poor opposition (and looking pretty poor at times doing it)... the distinctly average (at best) Travis Walker ran his record to 25-0-1 with a pretty knockout ratio doing much the same thing... or Tye Fields... or Johnnie White.

The next great American Boxer is already being groomed to play another sport lol. He's either going to be a Linebacker in the NFL an undersized powerforward in the NBA or maybe even a 1st baseman in the Majors

Back