The grappling forum isn't as bad as a few have made it sound...

The Sickness

Ichizoku
Reaction score
Seriously, I think we get some decent topics going, and have some valid discussion. Yes, we will have a few threads get repeated, and a few real beginner questions asked. But I think this is less a testement to stupidity, and more a testement to the fact that people feel this is a good place to pick up some tricks from people all over the world. I mean really, we've got quality posters here. Mirada, Sherdog Mutt, Bubble Boy, Johil, judoka, blake, and a whole mess of others. I don't care what anyone says, this is the best forum on sherdog (huge smile, waiting for a group hug)...

By far the best forum on sherdog...but then again I'm biased.

Anyone that ventures to say the MMA forum is worth anything needs to be donkey kicked in the fucking kidneys.

Right on The Sickness! Sure we get a bunch of crap in here, but I've picked up so many very useful tips here. Some of the tips and advice have changed my game for the better overnight.

I do think our tolerance level of newbs is lower here than in the other fighting forums. I'm not sure why. I, for one, can readily admit posting dumbass n00B questions over in the Standup Forum (since I'm thinking about taking up Muay Thai) and I have never once been flamed over there. We could work on that over here...

You should include yourself as a quality poster. I agree this is the best forum on Sherdog (in on the group hug, grabbing Blake's ass).

The Sickness said:
I mean really, we've got quality posters here. Mirada, Sherdog Mutt, Bubble Boy, Johil, judoka, blake, and a whole mess of others. I don't care what anyone says, this is the best forum on sherdog (huge smile, waiting for a group hug)...

None of them post any more.

Pah, since I wasn't invited i spit on your group hug!

Seriosly though I agree, I fail to see why people are so down on the place sometimes.

The Sickness said:
Seriously, I think we get some decent topics going, and have some valid discussion. Yes, we will have a few threads get repeated, and a few real beginner questions asked. But I think this is less a testement to stupidity, and more a testement to the fact that people feel this is a good place to pick up some tricks from people all over the world. I mean really, we've got quality posters here. Mirada, Sherdog Mutt, Bubble Boy, Johil, judoka, blake, and a whole mess of others. I don't care what anyone says, this is the best forum on sherdog (huge smile, waiting for a group hug)...

:icon_cry2 i thought i was cool.

Mirada said:
None of them post any more.

Yeah, and I do kinda miss Smorra. Talk about a quality poster. What ever happened to that guy?

Bubble Boy said:
Right on The Sickness! Sure we get a bunch of crap in here, but I've picked up so many very useful tips here. Some of the tips and advice have changed my game for the better overnight.

I do think our tolerance level of newbs is lower here than in the other fighting forums. I'm not sure why. I, for one, can readily admit posting dumbass n00B questions over in the Standup Forum (since I'm thinking about taking up Muay Thai) and I have never once been flamed over there. We could work on that over here...

You should include yourself as a quality poster. I agree this is the best forum on Sherdog (in on the group hug, grabbing Blake's ass).

Yeah, Im new here & already got some good tips from here. I dont get that newbie crap here like those other places. And I also agree that this is the best forum on sherdog. I think we should armbar everyone who doesnt! jus playin

Resendiz said:
:icon_cry2 i thought i was cool.

Kind of a glaring oversight if you ask me.

Maybe it's the name change that confused him. Yeah, that's it.

If you're gonna name names either name everyone or don't name anybody at all.

that's right...I dropped name(s) four times in the previous sentence.

Who's Mike Jones?

this forums crap compared to the standup forum lolz

we should have a battle between the grapplers and standup posters! lol

*group hug, group foot sweep*

The conversations are definitely more intelligent than most other forums here.

ps- Blake is posting in OT again, but he was missing for a bit after busting his collar bone in his fight.

I agree with the sickness, this is probably the only forum I post regularly, sickness definetly forgot some major good posters in his message, but I'm not going to mention any because like him I might forget some

by the way johil (one of my fav's) still posts from time to time...

it's a shame we have lost some major good posters like the stated above (mirada, blake, guardpasser, haylicks, machado, wilhelm, the aussie guy with the pict of the chopper in his avatar, among many others), but some people move on, and others (like us) just stick arround with not much else to do :)

I stopped posting as well for almost a year (I actually had a life), but ended up back here... mabe the same will happen to them

I'm sorry guys, I missed a bunch of people. My point is just that we're doing a good job here. Let's keep it going...

i was thinking the same thing when i came upon a great thread about arm triangles yesterday, complete with links, pics, and everything.

This place works for me, It sucks having no English speakers to train with. Sometimes the first time I hear the English name of a technique is in here.

awww... group hug!

Personally, I really miss Black Jack Shlack (barely see him posting anymore) and Yrkoon (ever since he got banned). Those guys had some real inside information about the BJJ community.

Bubble Boy said:
Yeah, and I do kinda miss Smorra. Talk about a quality poster.
Thanks. Just for the compliment, I'll post my hitherto super secret Smorraplata!

So far, the two entrys I've found for it are from the bottom of guard, and from the top of sidemount.

From Open Guard: While controlling the uke's arms/sleeves, switch your legs, so that they are crossed in-front of him with (for example) your right leg on top, on his right side, with your right foot just behind his elbow, and your left leg on his left side. Picture doing a scissors sweep, but your top leg is all the way past his torso and under his right arm, hooking it at his elbow. Switch your grips so that your right arm is reaching under your right leg and grabbing his right arm at the wrist/sleeve, and your left is grabbing his left. In a burst of movement, slide your left leg out from his left side to his right and post/bridge off of your left foot and do and backroll over your right shoulder, letting go with of his left arm, but holding on to his right with your right hand.
   If he didn't roll also, you should now be next to him, facing towards his feet, kneeling on his right tricep with your right shin, with his right arm entangled with your right leg, and his right forearm bending behind his back. You can grab his legs and stretch them to flatten him out and/or, underhook his far side arm, so he can't roll to escape. If he did roll with you at first, you should now be in sidemount.

From Sidemount: (on his right side) walk your left knee over his right arm, so that his arm is in-between your legs. Reach behind/under your butt with your right hand and grab his right wrist/sleeve. Quickly grab his right pant leg/shin with left hand and hook his right elbow with your right foot (instep, while your bending your foot up to hook) Immediately post on your left leg and roll/jump over toward his other (left) side, with your head towards his feet, while rolling him over, so his right side stays at your right side, though he is now facing down. This should put you in the finishing position mentioned above.

Enjoy!

p.s. If you do this in class, and someone asks what it is, please call it a Smorraplata. I know seems vain and insecure of me, but it would be cool to see if it spreads and be able to trace it back.

Back