"The Giving Tree" Is Much Sadder Than I Remembered

Inigo Montoya

@Brown
Reaction score
I don't know if "sad" is the right word, but if you're a parent or if you lost a parent, that book gets a much deeper meaning.

Just read it for the first time in 20 something years and it hit me in the gut.

so homeboy sat on the trees face with his ass #50shadesofgrey

j.k dem feelz doe
86e18f9ff36413daf793b86f7fb89c3a.jpg

4827694+_b81f1202f4a82340994c19b1d99cc6c9.jpg

Shel Silverstein was quite the character. Besides kids books, he wrote songs as well as some adult themed poetry. He wrote the song A Boy Named Sue that Johnny Cash recorded.

Pretty sure it's a metaphor for the tax paying middle class in a world of entitlements. But, then again, maybe I just see that shit everywhere.

I gave that book to my mom for her birthday 3 years ago. She cried through it.

Its is an emotional book fo sho.

One of my favorites.

I bought it for a friend of mine after they had their baby. I hadn't read it in years and read it at the book store.
Totally bummed me out, lol. Still bought it tho.

Its is an emotional book fo sho.

One of my favorites.

I bought it for a friend of mine after they had their baby. I hadn't read it in years and read it at the book store.
Totally bummed me out, lol. Still bought it tho.
Fantastic present for a new mother.

But yeah, that book brings the feels. That Shell Siverstein is a real cunt. =D

Yes it is, try "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always". Try reading that without shedding a tear, go ahead, I dare you.

I read it once to my daughter and then hid it.(IN laws bought it, so could not throw it away, so if they ever asked for it I could find it) It is a shitty story. The boy takes everything from the tree and then has the effing gall to sit on the stump.
I am all for helping someone out, but the tree got taken advantage. If I ever see the boy, I will give him a spinning heel kick to the face.
BTW Shel Silverstein used to draw cartoons for Playboy.

I read that book to my daughter almost every night. Someday she'll really get it.. Probably after I die

It's awful reading some children's books as an adult. That's key among them.

Back