Xbox The Game Pass Early Access Debate: Are Launch Releases Truly "Day 1"?

You have a problem not getting something for free, that others are paying for? Okay...

Yes, because signing up for even one month, and playing even one game that retails for more than $20, is better than the alternative of going out and buying it. That doesn't make your argument stronger. The mileage one gets from the service will vary from person to person of course, as it does not have every single game in existence on there, but whenever somebody does use the service, it's already paid for itself the second you load ONE game up, that would cost more to buy, than a monthly fee for GP. Again, not complicated stuff.

LOL you are arguing for the sake of arguing.
It's not what you downloaded/claimed versus what you have played.

But lets use your whimsically silly logic:
I've downloaded 5 games (2 are indie games) in one and half year on GP for $90 ($60/year deal gold conversion) versus 45+ games claimed on PS Plus in one and half year for $48 ($32 yearly cost). Played 1 game on GP and 2 on PS Plus. Which one was more beneficial???

EXACTLY!!!

Last edited:
@HereticBD

And I've been on record stating that GP is the best gaming subscription value for new gamers or gamers who play a lot of games. Its generally been the first option I've recommended for gamers whenever a thread pops up about which console to buy and such. That has never changed so even if I was a playstation fanboy at least I am not a biased poster. The same can't be said about you. God forbid I can't say negative shit about GP and come off as a hater...

LOL you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

No, I'm not the one pretending to be confused over what "Day 1" means, and using it as a reason to get mad at a service that you are going to use to play it. I mean, why don't you just get rid of it and go buy the game, since you're feeling so fucked over by it? Oh', that's right. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Something tells me you'll be doing a lot of that in this thread, in the coming months...

No, I'm not the one pretending to be confused over what "Day 1" means, and using it as a reason to get mad at a service that you are going to use to play it. I mean, why don't you just get rid of it and go buy the game, since you're feeling so fucked over by it? Oh', that's right. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Something tells me you'll be doing a lot of that in this thread, in the coming months...

The funny thing is I will probably have to pay full price for this game since I do not plan on retaining GP. So if the game is that amazing you damn right I will be buying it. A one-time cost is more beneficial to me than having to pay a high cost subscription that might continually increase in cost as time goes on.

I plan on buying Hades cause I really enjoyed it. I had always planned on getting it just waiting on a deal.

And again the complaining was mostly about how Starfield implemented a "days" early access for extra cost. GP is only an added complaint but the main complaint is developers should not be doing this. It's BS. If Sony pulled that shit on a game I was going to buy I'd bitch about them too.

Instead of seeing the problem for what it is you went xbox fanboy mode. Amusing. lol

And no i won't be complaining about buying it again because Id rather keep the game forever than pay a subscription eternally. Even PS Plus, most of the games I've played I bought fully. So losing PS Plus wouldn't be THAT big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. As long as I can retain the games I purchased I don't care.

As for complaining in general, we shall see. I bought Fallout 76 ( the only Fallout i've ever played) and that was fucking terrible. But I am hoping for the best, looking promising so far.

Last edited:
@HereticBD

And I've been on record stating that GP is the best gaming subscription value for new gamers or gamers who play a lot of games. Its generally been the first option I've recommended for gamers whenever a thread pops up about which console to buy and such. That has never changed so even if I was a playstation fanboy at least I am not a biased poster. The same can't be said about you. God forbid I can't say negative shit about GP and come off as a hater...

The negative shit you're saying about GP in this thread is ridiculous, though. Like it not giving you the premium edition of the game, with all the perks. That's a silly complaint.

I can discuss negative aspects about GP all day long, namely it being a rental service where you don't own anything, and it possibly being the model for the industry going forward. That's a legit concern. Crying over it not giving you the premium edition of a brand new game that you're gonna get to play at launch, is petty nonsense.

The negative shit you're saying about GP in this thread is ridiculous, though. Like it not giving you the premium edition of the game, with all the perks. That's a silly complaint.

I can discuss negative aspects about GP all day long, namely it being a rental service where you don't own anything, and it possibly being the model for the industry going forward. That's a legit concern. Crying over it not giving you the premium edition of a brand new game that you're gonna get play at launch, is petty nonsense.

Not at all. At least one other poster (Method) understood and sided with my argument and I consider him a very logical and sensible poster in here.

And at no point did I ask for all the perks in the premium edition. You misunderstood or misread. Remnant II had different versions and I bought the premium (with 2 DLCs). The differences is regardless of the version all of them have the same Day 1 launch date which isn't what Starfield is offering. My complaint was the release date but somehow you just moved the goalpost and just claimed I want all the perks in premium edition for free. BS.

Are you degrading yourself further by making shit up now?

And no point did I ask for all the perks in the premium edition. You misunderstood or misread. Remnant II had different versions and I bought the premium (with 2 DLCs), The differences is regardless of the version all of them have the same Day 1 launch date which isn't what Starfield is doing. My complaint was the release date but somehow in you just moved the goalpost and claim I want all the perks in premium edition.

Are you degrading yourself further by making shit up now?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

No, you're playing word games. The Premium Edition is the only way you're getting early access. You're complaining about GP not giving you early access...which is only included in the premium edition. You're entire argument was based on GP advertising the game for "Day 1"(which it is still delivering on, for literate people).

Personally, I don't like any of the bullshit "premium edition" garbage, and think it's ridiculous at how accustomed people have become to Day 1 DLC just being expected. We've accepted having games purposefully broken into pieces during development, for maximum profit. Shit, a lot of the times it's just a promise of future DLC...that doesn't even end up getting released in some cases. To me, that's far more egregious, than having a few days of early access, that nobody will remember or care about post launch, other than the execs who will laugh all the way to the bank, because some people were stupid enough to think that getting to play the game 5 whole days earlier, had value. It arguably has less valuable than a cosmetic shoelace.

No, you're playing word games. The Premium Edition is the only way you're getting early access. You're complaining about GP not giving you early access...which is only included in the premium edition. You're entire argument was based on GP advertising the game for "Day 1"(which it is still delivering on, for literate people).

Personally, I don't like any of the bullshit "premium edition" garbage, and think it's ridiculous at how accustomed people have become to Day 1 DLC just being expected. We've accepted having games purposefully broken into pieces during development, for maximum profit. Shit, a lot of the times it's just a promise of future DLC...that doesn't even end up getting released in some cases. To me, that's far more egregious, than having a few days of early access, that nobody will remember or care about post launch, other than the execs who will laugh all the way to the bank, because some people were stupid enough to think that getting to play the game 5 whole days earlier, had value. It arguably has less valuable than a cosmetic shoelace.

You are talking about valid issues (2nd paragraph) that have nothing to do with Starfield (as of now).

You are the one playing word games not I. I have no issues with legitimate premium editions (cosmetics + DLCs). There are plenty of games that provide excellent DLCs that are worthwhile (like Remnant, HDZ, Ghost of Tsushima - free!, Returnal - free!, etc...). My point is that days early access shouldn't be a thing for an extra cost. That's it. I don't care if GP is involved or not (but it happens to be involved in this case). Either don't give anyone days early access or give everyone days early access (which means there is no early access) for every game out there. You apparently support this new early access BS for extra dollar feature since you are arguing so earnestly for it. Okay. you don't mind it. I don't like it. We disagree. It doesn't mean my point is rooted/based on hating GP (which i don't) or being a Sony fanboy (which I am).

Last edited:
Alright, resubbed for over a year of ultimate for $50. Ready for that delayed access.

how pray tell?
I use a site called eneba. They have discounts on tons of keys. I just bought a bunch of discounted three month gold subs and converted those to Ultimate. Good until 2025 now.

It definitely takes away from the "Day 1" selling point of GamePass.

I don't care too much since it's only a week but I can see them pulling more of this shit in the future.

but I can see them pulling more of this shit in the future.

That's my main concern. Like you I don't really care about 1 week but are they going to continue to push that out and see how much they can get away with?

The concern of Early Access isn't one of Microsoft's doing. A lot of gamers, including yours truly, have expressed a general disapproval of this trend towards prematurely releasing content. Giant Bomb even made a special razzie-type award category in their GOTY awards 2016 to rebuke the industry for the trend, "Stop Shipping Unfinished Games on Discs". Yet, to this day, console plebs who still buy discs often find they have to download a patch nearly as large as the original game itself just to fire it up.
Dr. Disrespect Opens Up ‘DEADROP’ Early Pre-Alpha Access, For $25
I can't say I like this trend. The industry is getting out of control with this, and I would have hoped the Doctor wouldn't participate. It's a bit arrogant, frankly. We went from early access to beta to alpha to now "pre-alpha" paid releases? Let me repeat that: pre-alpha. Like, shit man, if I'm effectively a crowdsourced game tester, maybe you should be paying me, yeah?
This is the chief difference between "early access" and what always used to be called "beta": they charge you money for early access-- a difference you see they're trying to erode.

But back to early access. 5 days is nothing. Valheim, an Xbox console exclusive that made its way to Game Pass, went into early access on Linux & Windows on February 2, 2021. The Xbox version didn't drop until March 14, 2023. It's technically still in early access with no official release date announced.

Meanwhile, other games have followed this trend both on paid and unpaid rails. The upcoming (Game Pass title) Lies of P saw its "demo" released at the end of June over two months before its official release. At least that was free. Meanwhile, Baldur's Gate 3, the game on a trajectory to win GOTY this year, saw its first act released way, way, way back on October 2020! It was in "early access" for nearly three years. LOL, five days, hold my beer. One had to pre-order the game for access. Is this the future? Will we see games piecemealed out via "early access" that only retail buyers will enjoy? Will they begin to further nickel and dime it ahead of the "official" release like they have DLC?

In the case of Starfield, it's troubling that they're creating this additional temporal paywall for true Day 1 access since, presumably, this isn't even about selling unfinished material, but just granting a headstart to those who pay a luxury tax. Nevertheless, this isn't new, they already did this with Forza in 2021. At a minimum, it seems a savvy business strategy, as they bundle more than just early access to the buyer in exchange for that access. It's an incentive to buy a special premium edition of the game with additional content. And Game Pass subscribers are afforded the same "Day 1" access that everyone else who doesn't buy this special edition are granted. So the paywall isn't one against Game Pass, but against Standard Edition buyers.

Again, not Microsoft's innovation. EA has been doing this for years.

In the meantime, since we're discussing it, I've compiled all the upcoming games revealed for Game Pass (whether today or earlier) from the Upcoming Games thread PC-Centric Edition (and the most recent release). Click the game title to be taken to that thread's post with the trailer and other links (i.e. Steam, Microsoft/Xbox store, Official Website, Wiki, Twitter, Discord). While some haven't had a release date given, almost all of those tagged even with "TBA" are expected by 2024, so sometime in the next 18 months. If I'm missing a game that is Xbox-exclusive, not due for a PC release, please point it out. Below are 39 titles.

Game Pass Calendar: Launch Titles
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Aug-18, 2023)
Starfield (Sep-5, 2023)
Lies of P (Sep-19, 2023) [In Early Access]
The Lamplighter's League (Oct-3, 2023)
Forza Motorsport (Oct-10, 2023)
Cities: Skylines II (Oct-24, 2023)
Persona 5 Tactica (Nov-17, 2023)
Jusant (Fall 2023)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl (December 2023)
Bounty Star (2023)
Cocoon (2023)
Dungeons 4 (2023)
Echo Generation (2023)
Ereban: Shadow Legacy (2023)
Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn (2023)
Lightyear Frontier (2023)
Replaced (2023)
The Outer Worlds 2 (2023)
Still Wakes the Deep (Early 2024)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Infinite Wealth (Early 2024)
ARK 2 (2024)
Avowed (2024)
Dungeons of Hinterberg (2024)
Metaphor: ReFantazio (2024)
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 (2024)
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (2024)
Towerborne (2024)
Age of Mythology: Retold (TBA)
Clockwork Revolution (TBA)
Contraband (TBA)
Everwild (TBA)
Fable (TBA)
Hollow Knight: Silksong (TBA)
Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess (TBA)
Perfect Dark (TBA)
ROUTINE (TBA)
South of Midnight (TBA)
State of Decay 3 (TBA)
Thirsty Suitors (TBA)
Vapor World: Over the Mind (TBA)

TBA gotta be one of my favorite dates.

LOL. I don't my little spat with @SaiWa deserved it's own thread, but okay.

If you hate this shit, don't support it. Unfortunately, gamers are the most ridiculous of all consumers, who whine the loudest about the shit they support.

"Micro-transactions are garbage!"

"How much money did you spend on MT's last month?"

"Well...like $20, but it's not a big deal!"

No, it is a big deal. There are literally millions out there "only" spending $20 on MT's a month. Do the math, and then wonder why MT's still exist.

Same thing with this shit. Some people are literally so mad that....they're gonna go out and buy the premium edition, to get those sweet sweet five whole days of early access. Gamers are the problem. Studios are just operating on supply and demand. Keep buying it, and they'll keep selling it.

It took me a while to dive into pc gaming but after buying one at the start of the year and using game pass through the Xbox app I now have access to basically every game out there when combined with my ps5. I bought an Xbox controller and play everything on my tv. The only games I sit at my desk for are strategy games.

I know I’m in the minority here but I was thoroughly unimpressed by game pass. I’m only keeping it until I give Starfield a try.

LOL. I don't my little spat with @SaiWa deserved it's own thread, but okay.

If you hate this shit, don't support it. Unfortunately, gamers are the most ridiculous of all consumers, who whine the loudest about the shit they support.

"Micro-transactions are garbage!"

"How much money did you spend on MT's last month?"

"Well...like $20, but it's not a big deal!"

No, it is a big deal. There are literally millions out there "only" spending $20 on MT's a month. Do the math, and then wonder why MT's still exist.

Same thing with this shit. Some people are literally so mad that....they're gonna go out and buy the premium edition, to get those sweet sweet five whole days of early access. Gamers are the problem. Studios are just operating on supply and demand. Keep buying it, and they'll keep selling it.
I've never understood it. The whole "Day 1" thing was never for me. Five measly days. And the greatest irony is that I've noticed those who howl the loudest are typically avowed, hardcore single-player gamers. The guys who frantically avoid MP competition-- you know, where a headstart on learning maps and mechanics actually matters towards having a competitive advantage. What do they get out of it? Is it a race to spoil single player narratives for other gamers? To preen that one experienced the story first, LOL?

This urgency never made sense to me. Even for co-op campaigns. I only care if content is time-sensitive (ex. a DLC's raids are only playable for a set period of time, or items are only powerful during a particular period, as with MMO's). When I play a game is when I play it. I'm not wasting my time window watching; other people's nuanced experiences of a work of art is irrelevant to me. Only thing I might notice is good word of mouth or bad word of mouth if I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to play it. I'm not spoiling a book or TV show or movie or game by reading extensive criticism if I know I intend to consume it myself.

And as a consumer, patience pays no more dividends in entertainment than it does in gaming. Game prices drop drastically after just a year or two, sometimes months.

I've never understood it. The whole "Day 1" thing was never for me. Five measly days. And the greatest irony is that I've noticed those who howl the loudest are typically avowed, hardcore single-player gamers. The guys who frantically avoid MP competition-- you know, where a headstart on learning maps and mechanics actually matters towards having a competitive advantage. What do they get out of it? Is it a race to spoil single player narratives for other gamers? To preen that one experienced the story first, LOL?

This urgency never made sense to me. Even for co-op campaigns. I only care if content is time-sensitive (ex. a DLC's raids are only playable for a set period of time, or items are only powerful during a particular period, as with MMO's). When I playa game is when I play it. I'm not wasting my time window watching; other people's nuanced experiences of a work of art is irrelevant to me. Only thing I might notice is good word of mouth or bad word of mouth if I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to play it. I'm not spoiling a book or TV show or movie or game by reading extensive criticism if I know I intend to consume it myself.

And as a consumer, patience pays no more dividends in entertainment than it does in gaming. Game prices drop drastically after just a year or two, sometimes months.
Not the dude who participates in absolutely zero game discussion trying to talk about the actual gaming habits of others lmao.

Back