The Game (1997)

G

Guestx

game-poster.jpg

I was inspired on yesterday's "favorite David Fincher movie" thread to rewatch The Game, a movie that I really loved when it was first released but that I hadn't watched in several years.

Rewatching the film, I enjoyed it quite a bit and was reminded of so many reasons that I loved the film when I first saw. The look of the film, Fincher's direction, the performances, the unusual concept . . . all great.

But one thing really stood out to me: It is SUPER FUCKING IMPLAUSIBLE! And not implausible in the way that a Superman movie is, which is fantasy in the most literal sense of the word. The Game supposedly takes place in the regular world, and plays by regular world rules. But holy shit is there no way in hell the series of events in the movie would EVER play out like that.

So yeah, I enjoyed it, but I had a real struggle suspending my disbelief. I had to try to turn that shit all the way off.

Anyway, what's everyone think about The Game?

game-poster.jpg

I was inspired on yesterday's "favorite David Fincher movie" thread to rewatch The Game, a movie that I really loved when it was first released but that I hadn't watched in several years.

Rewatching the film, I enjoyed it quite a bit and was reminded of so many reasons that I loved the film when I first saw. The look of the film, Fincher's direction, the performances, the unusual concept . . . all great.

But one thing really stood out to me: It is SUPER FUCKING IMPLAUSIBLE! And not implausible in the way that a Superman movie is, which is fantasy in the most literal sense of the word. The Game supposedly takes place in the regular world, and plays by regular world rules. But holy shit is there no way in hell the series of events in the movie would EVER play out like that.

So yeah, I enjoyed it, but I had a real struggle suspending my disbelief. I had to try to turn that shit all the way off.

Yeah, as I remember it, the reveal was a such a let down. I was thoroughly enjoying it up until then, though.

I liked it though I havent seen it in years. One of the first movies I saw that had a twist like that.

game-poster.jpg

like you, i loved it the first time i watched it. i do agree that it's incredibly implausible. but for some reason, it didn't ruin the film for me. i was too caught up in how, "the game" was going to end. it's also one of those movies where my favorite actor sean penn didn't outshine everyone else. probably because it was almost a cameo role for him.

Possibly my favorite Fincher film, between The Game and Se7en, watched it with the ending already spoiled for me and still thought it was great. Agree that ya it's really implausible but I remember it being so well put together and enthralling that I didn't really care.

To be honest I can't believe I haven't rewatched it in years, I even have the dvd lol.

game-poster.jpg

Saw it in theatres. Was a great mindfuck movie with twists

I preferred Surviving the Game

51zSHmZqPmL._SY445_.jpg

Ice T before he was fat. Busey before he was nuts. Rutger Hauer. What’s not to love?

Love the fuck out of this movie. It's a great one to show people because many haven't seen it. A hidden gem in Fincher's catalogue.

fun movie, but yeah it aint possible to preedict his every move. like knowing exactly where hes gonna jump off the roof...

I don't think it was implausible.

Except for how they arranged for everyone to be at the party the exact moment he was going to crack.

Have you guys ever heard of "gang stalking"?

Saw it in theatres. Was a great mindfuck movie with twists

Same here. I remember being blown away by Se7en, so when The Game came out, I made sure to see it opening day. It was the first showing, around noon, almost no one in the theater. At the end I remember just sitting there through the credits in the empty theater thinking holy shit, this Fincher guy. Great experience.

GAME is Fincher at the height of his combined powers. Since then he's slid into being a supertechnician but he lost that renegade, subversive element that resonated with his early work as Propaganda Films. Grown a bit toothless, and somehow boring.

GAME is about turning forty, incidentally. The acceptance that you're closer to death than you are to birth, and what your life may mean when you cut away all the bullshit. It's a great movie. I get the criticism of implausibility but that overlooks the necessity of willing suspension of disbelief. It's not a fault of the film but of audience expectation.

The Connie character, Conrad played by Sean Penn, was originally to be played by Jodie Foster. I would really like to have seen her in that role.

Loved the movie, haven't seen it in a long, long time. But if I'm remembering correctly the car going into the body of water and the roof jump are really ridiculous and extremely dangerous to the life of a trained stuntman with lots of oversight let alone as some spontaneous events to an uptight rich older guy. Still a great movie.

That movie pissed me off.

It was just a game, but he legit coulda died several times, wtf

GAME is Fincher at the height of his combined powers. Since then he's slid into being a supertechnician but he lost that renegade, subversive element that resonated with his early work as Propaganda Films. Grown a bit toothless, and somehow boring.

GAME is about turning forty, incidentally. The acceptance that you're closer to death than you are to birth, and what your life may mean when you cut away all the bullshit. It's a great movie. I get the criticism of implausibility but that overlooks the necessity of willing suspension of disbelief. It's not a fault of the film but of audience expectation.

The Connie character, Conrad played by Sean Penn, was originally to be played by Jodie Foster. I would really like to have seen her in that role.

Personally I would put Fight Club as the height, but no issue with someone picking The Game. What's yer take on the alternate 'dark ending'? Personally I think it works best the way it was released.

What sets FIGHT CLUB back for me is that people didn't get it, and while this may again sound like the fault of the audience rather than the film itself -- I think it was a matter of pacing and structure and sexiness that led the audience to conclude the opposite of FIGHT CLUB's theme: which wasn't to celebrate sophomoric rejection of social conventions.

What's yer take on the alternate 'dark ending'? Personally I think it works best the way it was released.
Remind me of the alternate ending? Which film?

Oh, I found this little tidbit from Fincher about THE GAME:

“…in hindsight, my wife was right [that I shouldn't have directed it]. We didn’t figure out the third act, and it was my fault, because I thought if you could just keep your foot on the throttle it would be liberating and funny,” Fincher said. “I know what I like, and one thing I definitely like is not knowing where a movie is going. These days, though, it’s hard to get audiences to give themselves over. They want to see the whole movie in a 90-second trailer.”

like you, i loved it the first time i watched it. i do agree that it's incredibly implausible. but for some reason, it didn't ruin the film for me. i was too caught up in how, "the game" was going to end. it's also one of those movies where my favorite actor sean penn didn't outshine everyone else. probably because it was almost a cameo role for him.

fun movie, but yeah it aint possible to preedict his every move. like knowing exactly where hes gonna jump off the roof...

Loved the movie, haven't seen it in a long, long time. But if I'm remembering correctly the car going into the body of water and the roof jump are really ridiculous and extremely dangerous to the life of a trained stuntman with lots of oversight let alone as some spontaneous events to an uptight rich older guy. Still a great movie.

Enjoy!

Spoilers for The Game

I can't remember if it was shot or not, but the original ending had Nicholas actually shooting his brother at the end with a real bullet, finding out it was just a game, and wandering off the building.

What sets FIGHT CLUB back for me is that people didn't get it, and while this may again sound like the fault of the audience rather than the film itself -- I think it was a matter of pacing and structure and sexiness that led the audience to conclude the opposite of FIGHT CLUB's theme: which wasn't to celebrate sophomoric rejection of social conventions.

Oh, I found this little tidbit from Fincher about THE GAME:

“…in hindsight, my wife was right [that I shouldn't have directed it]. We didn’t figure out the third act, and it was my fault, because I thought if you could just keep your foot on the throttle it would be liberating and funny,” Fincher said. “I know what I like, and one thing I definitely like is not knowing where a movie is going. These days, though, it’s hard to get audiences to give themselves over. They want to see the whole movie in a 90-second trailer.”

I'm confused here on what you mean. How did the audience "not get it"?

Back