• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies THE FLASH (Biggest Flop in Warner Bros.' History; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen THE FLASH, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Watched it last night.

Typically with these comic movies I tend to like them at first and start hating them
the more I rewatch them as I notice more fuck ups/corny scenes.

I'll have to rewatch flash again, I felt it is worth a rewatch, to fully determine my stance on it but for my original watch through I really liked it . Finally a DC movie that feels like an actual movie that was well thought out and executed, at least compared to any past dceu movie. Think I even enjoyed it more than most of the marvel movies out there.

7.5/10 so far

Fuck ya

I would wager that Henry Cavil could have saved it from being a bomb. He seems to be the only draw that DC has been able to rely on, and he’s popular with a lot of fans.

Even if you just had him as the muscle, people would have complained that his role wasn’t big enough but they would at least have gone to see it.

*Writers room. Dimly lit. Smoke hangs out from endless cigarettes butts. Their embers burn through the shadows. Their is a heaviness in the room. One writer finally speaks.*

Writer 1: "Keaton decides to don the cowl one more time, for his biggest adventure ever. To rescue Cavil's Superman and help him save the world from Zod in an epic finale."

He'll even say this awesome line: "I'll help you get this "Superman". Then, you're on your own!"

*They all look at one another. The heaviness empties from the room. A light begins to break through the darkness. They all smile. Another writers speaks up.*

Writer 2: Ok. So no to Superman. No to Keaton saving the world. They both die.

*Everyone looks around. They smile again. Heads nod in agreement*

I'm not sure if the inclusion of Henry Cavill's Superman would have significantly boosted The Flash's box office performance. It will earn a few million but the movie would have still bombed IMO. Aside from the Ezra situation, the DC brand right now is so unappealing from general audience.

Having seen it, I’m fine with what it was.

I also didn’t find the CGI to be so bad because it all felt intentional. Like the fight at the end of Black Panther 1; the CGI went from being subtle and great throughout the movie to really taking on an old video-game like quality and it was jarring.

With this, I got that it was trying to work you into a kind of tripped out vibe to roll with how the Flash experiences the world.

I mean you could argue Sin City looked bad too from a certain point of view, but it had its own style…

Just gave it a second watch. I don’t understand, it was splendid, more enjoyable to me than the first watch. Then again I am a huge Flash fan anyway.

I don’t care how well this movie does at the box office and Millers controversies, I really don’t care. I love the Flash forever and ever Amen.

Update: June 21, 2023

Warner Bros. Was Reportedly Planning a Batman Beyond Movie Starring Michael Keaton If The Flash Was a Box Office Success

33TeZBF.jpg

Prepare to be even more disappointed about The Flash's poor box office debut!

Shortly after it was announced that James Gunn and Peter Safran were taking over as co-heads of the newly established DC Studios, we heard that Christina Hodson (The Flash, Birds of Prey) had been working on a treatment for a live-action Batman Beyond movie.

The project was said to have been shelved when the decision was made to reboot (or semi-reboot) the franchise with the DCU, but it seems there may have still been plans to get the film into production... before The Flash crashed and burned!

During the last episode of the Fatman on Batman podcast, Kevin Smith revealed that he'd heard from the son of Michael Uslan, Executive Producer on the Batman movies since Tim Burton's 1989 original, that Warner Bros./DC Studios were planning to move forward with a Batman Beyond film starring Michael Keaton if The Flash proved to be successful enough at the box office.

Of course, short of a dramatic turnaround, The Flash does not look set for a successful run in theaters, so we can probably forget about a Batman Beyond live-action adaptation anytime soon.

https://comicbookmovie.com/the-flas...up-before-the-flash-crashed-a203924#gs.192jhz

It gets overrated because there is an absolute dearth of CBM fight scenes that feature tangible physicality and bone snapping brutality on the level that the Batfleck scene produced. The fact that he had just fought Fucking SUPERMAN barely ten minutes prior pretty easily excuses him for taking a little damage from a group of highly trained mercenaries, I mean just merely wearing the suit itself in that previous encounter would've been thoroughly exhausting.

It's the GOAT Batman cinematic fight scene until further notice, although the Keaton throwdown in the Siberian compound was very nicely executed, and all of it was done practically aside from the initial gliding body slam. It's #2 IMO. On the otherhand, the Chris Nolan stuff sucks really bad on the h2h combat front, I actually prefer Burton basics to that.
I'm not disagreeing about the dearth of CBM fight scenes, or that that scene is probably the best CBM fight scene that has existed thus far. But in saying that, that would come with the caveat that I would be literally cutting that one scene out and ignoring the entire rest of that shitty movie.

The context here was comparing how a young, inexperienced, aimless 20 something year old Batman fights vs. a veteran Batman whose entire purpose in that scene was to save a hostage.
A Batman that has the foresight and planning to defeat Superman can't also be that reckless and take that much damage against regular humans. It's a COOL scene, but it does not make sense. The whole movie didn't make sense. We're talking about a Batman that has no issue with killing people and seemingly forgot his stealth ninja training, instead, he rolls into the party like he's Ironman and needlessly risks the hostage's life that he came to save.

I'm not disagreeing about the dearth of CBM fight scenes, or that that scene is probably the best CBM fight scene that has existed thus far. But in saying that, that would come with the caveat that I would be literally cutting that one scene out and ignoring the entire rest of that shitty movie.

The context here was comparing how a young, inexperienced, aimless 20 something year old Batman fights vs. a veteran Batman whose entire purpose in that scene was to save a hostage.
A Batman that has the foresight and planning to defeat Superman can't also be that reckless and take that much damage against regular humans. It's a COOL scene, but it does not make sense. The whole movie didn't make sense. We're talking about a Batman that has no issue with killing people and seemingly forgot his stealth ninja training, instead, he rolls into the party like he's Ironman and needlessly risks the hostage's life that he came to save.

I thought it made sense when Lex Luthor peed in a jar.

Yeah, man. I'm not really going to argue too passionately because I'm not crazy about Dawn of Justice and Batfleck isn't my Batman.

Keaton's cowl, suit, insignia, movements and vibe were already the GOAT (by far) and now he's got a couple very nice set pieces in the bag.
He is literally the GOAT cinematic Batman and this isn't just due to nostalgia, there are numerous reasons that don't directly have to do with Keaton himself but also Burton's vision, art direction, costume design, production design and musical score. The end result was - and still is - a pristine package of timeless aesthetics, from the retro-tech batmobile to his in-suit body language. The fact that he couldn't turn his head (IRL) obviously isn't particularly practical, but even that works in his favor because it gives his movements a distinct and swift look on film that just comes off cool as fuck.
I'd give this lower than a 5 if it wasn't for how awesome Keaton was and the fact we got a tour of Wayne Manor. As one of my all time favorite movies, the nestolgia factor was a 10/10 and Burtons Batman remains the undisputed GOAT of comic movie heros.
I'm a Michael Keaton truther.
I'm such a slut for the Axis Chemicals gun fight. Burton does such a great job of sprucing in Keaton during the action. It really is the closest thing to a comic book panel of Batman in action, each moment distinct and exhilarating (Flying down to confront the two gangsters, the no look elbow, following Napier up the stairs. It's like he's a specter of light and shadow appearing and disappearing. As you mentioned, they literally took the limitations of the suit and cinematically anchored the film to accentuate them into something cool.

tumblr_mq49lsK5bK1rrkahjo3_400.gif

You got me wanting to rewatch Batman 89 and that scene really is truly magnificent. This was another that cut damn close to perfection. People are free to believe there have been better versions, or that someone could possibly bring a superior version to the screen but they would simply be wrong. Keaton wrecks shit with his eyes and mere glare alone.

(oh yeah, also GOAT batmobile. GOAT bat cave. GOAT atmosphere.)

Update: June 21, 2023

Warner Bros. Was Reportedly Planning a Batman Beyond Movie Starring Michael Keaton If The Flash Was a Box Office Success

33TeZBF.jpg

Prepare to be even more disappointed about The Flash's poor box office debut!

Shortly after it was announced that James Gunn and Peter Safran were taking over as co-heads of the newly established DC Studios, we heard that Christina Hodson (The Flash, Birds of Prey) had been working on a treatment for a live-action Batman Beyond movie.

The project was said to have been shelved when the decision was made to reboot (or semi-reboot) the franchise with the DCU, but it seems there may have still been plans to get the film into production... before The Flash crashed and burned!

During the last episode of the Fatman on Batman podcast, Kevin Smith revealed that he'd heard from the son of Michael Uslan, Executive Producer on the Batman movies since Tim Burton's 1989 original, that Warner Bros./DC Studios were planning to move forward with a Batman Beyond film starring Michael Keaton if The Flash proved to be successful enough at the box office.

Of course, short of a dramatic turnaround, The Flash does not look set for a successful run in theaters, so we can probably forget about a Batman Beyond live-action adaptation anytime soon.

https://comicbookmovie.com/the-flas...up-before-the-flash-crashed-a203924#gs.192jhz
Bullshit. What's his face announced cancelling the Batman Beyond project before The Flash was even released.

Even Michael Keaton couldn't save that utter disappointment of a film.

A Michael Keaton Batman Beyond film series that reunited Michael Keaton, Tim Burton, and Danny Elfman could have brought WB out of the gutter (if done properly).

WB can go right in the toilet now.

Bullshit. What's his face announced cancelling the Batman Beyond project before The Flash was even released.

Even Michael Keaton couldn't save that utter disappointment of a film.

A Michael Keaton Batman Beyond film series that reunited Michael Keaton, Tim Burton, and Danny Elfman could have brought WB out of the gutter (if done properly).

WB can go right in the toilet now.
Yep that might have been the plan before Gunn took over, but this sounds like damage control dangling that carrot to make the move have "legs".

Just gave it a second watch. I don’t understand, it was splendid, more enjoyable to me than the first watch. Then again I am a huge Flash fan anyway.

I don’t care how well this movie does at the box office and Millers controversies, I really don’t care. I love the Flash forever and ever Amen.
I am a huge Flash fan as well. But not Miller and that killed it for me. I really do not care about his personal issues; I just think he is wrong for the character. I think every single flash related character on the TV show would have been better. No one wants a whiny superhero. His voice is nails on a chalkboard. And I LOVE weird quirky actors...but not this guy. When I picture Flash I see a wise cracking athlete that is also smart....like a Ryan Reynolds. Not a whiny neurotic weirdo. Save that for the villains.

OIP.0_feGKsxn6nTXMnJ120XvwHaO1

If/when Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 bomb will there be changes to the Gunn DCU?
I could see them holding off any more spending till after Superman, not sure if they would cancel that.

Last edited:
If/when Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 bomb will there be changes to the Gunn DCU.
I could see them holding off any more spending till after Superman, not sure if they would cancel that.

I think real test will be Gunn’s Superman. DC movies are confusing as hell. Gunn said they’re going to reboot but after saying that, there’s still like 4-5 DC movies releasing including Aquaman 2. Isn’t that part of the DCEU?

It’s a mess.

I enjoyed it. Went in with no expectations at all. Ezra Miller is a good actor despite him grooming minors.

I enjoyed it. Went in with no expectations at all. Ezra Miller is a good actor despite him grooming minors.
Say what you will about Miller, but they are an excellent actor. We Need To Talk About Kevin still haunts me to this day.

All of of these recent bombs and bombs to be (Black Adam, Shazam 2, The Flash, Blue Beetle, Aquaman 2) were either in the can or deep into post-production when Gunn and Safran took the job last year. Superman: Legacy will be the foundation and jumpoff point for the new DCU in 2025.

It's just unfortunate timing that Keaton got involved when he did. There have been two major shakeups, both at Warner Bros and DC Studios, since he was approached. The biggest reason there isn't going to be a Batman Beyond is because the new Gunnverse DCU needs its own iteration of the role for the next 15 years when Keaton will be pushing 90 if he's still around, and Matt Reeves already has the Elseworlds Battinson with a sequel greenlit and into pre-production.

So they'd be wheeling out three (actually four) Batmans on film simultaneously? :confused: He is DC's most popular character and has been since eclipsing Superman in the 1980s with a far more brooding and dark re-characterization, but that would be bordering on excessive oversaturation. It's pure logic to shelve that vehicle, especially since Gen X and older Millenials didn't bother to show up at the cinema for Keaton Redux. Or maybe they did, and it's the younger crowd who wasn't having it. I'm not sure about the demographics tbh, other than it was skewing damn near 75% male.
No one's showing up for the redux because its not a redux. It's an underperforming Flash film that features Keaton's Batman. A Batman Beyond project would not be the cause of oversaturation. You can look to multiple Marvel and DC projects in recent years and place blame on oversaturation there.

A Batman Beyond project, with Tim Burton in the director's seat, would probably be successful. If you "shelve" the project it's unlikely to happen because Keaton is aging as you pointed out.

Back