• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The first sub that got you?

I've had my head handed back to me the 3 times I've lost and all have been the result of that damn guillotine.

Old Man said:
You need to start training with better people on the ground. I am not trying to be a smart-ass, just trying to be helpful. Most BJJ blue belts can submit a novice within a few minutes, even if the novice has wrestling experience or a massive neck. So I would say you definitely need to find new training partners or a new school.

More like a few seconds. No offense, but most serious bjj schools, a white belt training for a few months could sub a novice in a few minutes, even with wrestling experience.

The first time we did open sparring, got caught in three armbars, and then a Head-Arm choke. In general, I lose a lot... I mean a LOT, so I start to lose track after the first week.

In my defense, I'm rolling with guys who are much MUCH more experienced, and who often have 10-20 lbs on me. I could totally whup on the grade school kids, though!

Shina said:
The first time we did open sparring, got caught in three armbars, and then a Head-Arm choke. In general, I lose a lot... I mean a LOT, so I start to lose track after the first week.

In my defense, I'm rolling with guys who are much MUCH more experienced, and who often have 10-20 lbs on me. I could totally whup on the grade school kids, though!

I think this is true for anyone training at a serious school. Somehow I got paired up with a blue belt in my second or third week for sparring. We started on the knees. My whole goal was just to pull guard on him. He must have submitted me 40 times in 10 minutes. Of course I'm gassed from just trying to hang on, he's looking like he just got out of bed.

I remember having such a pathetic performance, and trying to pump myself up. I said to myself, "well I did get him in half guard once". Yea, about 1/2 second after I had half guard, he arm-dragged me, ending up on my back and choked the crap out of me.

No clue. I don't even remember my first day, I was doing Judo and Japanese Jujutsu when I was 5 and we did armbars etc. It was probably an armbar.When I started getting into BJJ I must have gotten tapped 1000 times over the first two or three years.

RNC. then guillotine over and over and over. First one I scored was a Kimura from bottom.

I actually subbed first before I got subbed (not that I'm proud of it.) I forearm choked a guy (like all newbs try) and the guy underneath me started gurgling "you can't do that." I promptly stopped and began apologizing at length (hell I didn't know what was legal or accepted, it just seemed like a good idea.) I only found out later that no one else in my club seemed to care and they all pretty much said that the guy was a friggin' idiot by not knowing how to get out of it (which is true). After I switched rolling partners I proceeded to get armbarred in about 4 seconds. After that, my ego flew out the window and remained far far away for about 4 months.

I got tapped like 10 million times my first day, so I can't remember what the first one was. Only specific sub I remember was an rnc. I just remember each roll being about 30 seconds of "what the fuck's going on" followed by me tapping.

armbar from the guard....I still remember cause I tried to get out by shaking 'em off, but he extended that bitch more & my arm still hurts until this day. The dude was Jay Penn, BJ's brother, he was a purple back then.

Back