The Failure of the American Dream

People still have the OPPORTUNITY to be successful. However, many (most?) seem to have lost the work ethic to get there, make terrible decisions along the way that they don’t take responsibility for and then blame the system instead of themselves when they don’t meet their own unrealistic expectations.
What people want is guaranteed success. Guess what...death and taxes.

Young people today work longer hours for less money, and spend FAR more time and money on schooling than previous generations.

How does that jive with your feelings about them being lazy and entitled?

Young people today work longer hours for less money, and spend FAR more time and money on schooling than previous generations.

What’s the equivalent of 6.00 in 1997 in today’s money? They work for less than that? If not, stfu and get to work.

What’s the equivalent of 6.00 in 1997 in today’s money? They work for less than that? If not, stfu and get to work.
According to this inflation calculator $6 in 1997 would be equivalent to $9.58 which is ~$2 over the national MW. Many young people do work for around that much or less though of course many earn more even if not much more.

While thinking about the many root causes of what's going on, and how those causes intersect, I came across this tweet.

And I can't help but agree.

From birth, the messaging is "You can do anything you want." "You can be anything you want."

But the truth is, that's not true, even for the cream of the crop of people. And as social mobility keeps decreasing, and income inequality keeps increasing, the gap between what people are told by society versus actual reality will continue to increase.

Even though I disagree with the hyperemotional reaction that's going on throughout the country, I understand it and empathize with it.

Imagine taking out a 6-figure loan for the promise of a 5-figure job, only to end up working at Starbucks. And if you do ever get your promised job... it'll probably be automated away within 20 years.

People of all races are hurting. Having lived in NYC and redneck Ohio... the issues were the same. Lack of opportunity. Hopelessness. Of course people turn to anger and drugs.

1) So what do you all think?
2) Any solutions in mind? I have a few (not my own, but stated by people much smarter than me)

@panamaican This seems like a topic you'd be good and nuanced with

You can be anything you want if you're willing to work for it. The only thing holding you back is your own talent level, ability, and work ethic. Just look at Kevin Hart or Chris Rock, both of them came from absolutely nothing and now they're each worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Kevin Hart worked hard, put himself out there, found a mentor and had the drive and talent to succeed.

While thinking about the many root causes of what's going on, and how those causes intersect, I came across this tweet.

From birth, the messaging is "You can do anything you want." "You can be anything you want."

But the truth is, that's not true, even for the cream of the crop of people. And as social mobility keeps decreasing, and income inequality keeps increasing, the gap between what people are told by society versus actual reality will continue to increase.

Even though I disagree with the hyperemotional reaction that's going on throughout the country, I understand it and empathize with it.

Imagine taking out a 6-figure loan for the promise of a 5-figure job, only to end up working at Starbucks. And if you do ever get your promised job... it'll probably be automated away within 20 years.

People of all races are hurting. Having lived in NYC and redneck Ohio... the issues were the same. Lack of opportunity. Hopelessness. Of course people turn to anger and drugs.

2) Any solutions in mind? I have a few (not my own, but stated by people much smarter than me)

A black man became president for 8 years. A black man became a billionaire (BET founder). Black people were slaves and then were segregated.

Sorry, but if you fail in this fucking country it is your own fucking fault in over 99% of cases. Deal with it snowflakes. the world doesn't owe you a fucking thing and it never will.

Still the greatest country for opportunity, maybe the specifics have changed, but the possibility is always there..

Some (a lot) of americans are proud of and brag about how much of their time is spent making someone else money.

Odd culture.

Housing is the big one. It is rapidly becoming a pipe dream for most people to own their own home. My wife and I both have Masters degrees in STEM fields, and we are still struggling to save up for a home.

yeah Same in my country as well. 2 of the richest countries in the world and the younger generation can’t get on the ladder until their grandparents die. It’s a disgrace

I feel lucky to be a little bit older and bought my first house when almost anyone could afford to buy 1. That’s only 25 years ago

Plenty of blame to go around. What's worrying in these times is how fast we are headed to ruin. Before it seemed to be a steady, gradual erosion of quality of life. Now it's open anarchy, mindless greed, corruption, and lawlessness. Look at the Eisenhower years and although I know that alot of people still didn't have equal rights at that point, it's amazing how prosperous and strong the country was.

Some (a lot) of americans are proud of and brag about how much of their time is spent making someone else money.

Odd culture.

what are you on about? I make a fair wage for a far day’s work. I’m making myself money no problem.

I dont know why americans complain

You live in usa, you have opportunities most of the world dreams about.

Shit i dream about possibilities that usa has

(Of course life can be rough there, not denying that)

Victim mentality certainly won't get you there. Everything's in front of you. This idea that you can't prosper in your own life because of the top 1% is ridiculous.

I don't know, I was making $100k in 1997. I do know that houses, cars, gas, health insurance, and just about every other necessity cost twice as much (or more) today as they did back then.

I think I'd rather earn $6/hr in 97 than $15 today. Inflation calculators are misleading, they completely underestimate inflation when it comes to commodities that aren't bolstered by automation.

I know younger workers now that have literal roommates, as in share a room with someone.

I agree its why the USSR was better and I am not joking. US has caused more misery and suffering and slavery than USSR ever did. US even surpassed the Russian Empires brutality.

This topic reminds me of this chart, and sadly I feel like we are close to the 'weak men create hard times' phase
Cy2YMk4VQAAJjrr.jpg

We need perpetual warfare or cold war it seems to stay in good times. Or economic instability. But ideally its cold war

Back