The Exciting Rafael

mogway

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Exciting Rafael

Last edited:
Barata has gave me everyone of my belts. he is a great teacher and training partner. Although his version of where his name comes from differs than what Tussa says. Tussa claims Barata used to hide in dumpsters as a kid playing hide and seek. He got his name cause he was hanging out with the roaches in the dumpster hahaha

How he has never gotten the secondary nickname "Batatas fritas" I will never understand.

Barata has gave me everyone of my belts. he is a great teacher and training partner. Although his version of where his name comes from differs than what Tussa says. Tussa claims Barata used to hide in dumpsters as a kid playing hide and seek. He got his name cause he was hanging out with the roaches in the dumpster hahaha

Busy said the same lol

Was looking forward to seeing Freitas go for his "baratoplata" last night on TUF!

tuf-18-group-shot.JPG

Doh! ..didn't happen :icon_sad:

CodyBollinger_Headshot.png

http://www.vvdailypress.com/articles/season-42130-fight-bollinger.html

Bummer. I love that submission.

He's doing a seminar on the Baratoplata at my gym on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

For the people who use it or have been to his seminars etc, how high percentage is it? What are your favorite set-ups?

It's very high percentage. My most used set up is off them defending a darce from knee on belly

For the people who use it or have been to his seminars etc, how high percentage is it? What are your favorite set-ups?

It works really well. I like to catch it from mount when they defend the armbar by crossing one arm over the other, also when they defend guard armbars in the same manner. You can hit it pretty cleanly off triangle choke defenses as well. For me it's often a 'catch' type submission where rather than set it up carefully I'll take it as the turn into me from the bottom when I'm in mount or side control, since most people think they're safe if they can get their hand under your legs (which gives you the Baratoplata).

You can't use this in tournaments until brown belt, correct?

It works really well. I like to catch it from mount when they defend the armbar by crossing one arm over the other, also when they defend guard armbars in the same manner. You can hit it pretty cleanly off triangle choke defenses as well. For me it's often a 'catch' type submission where rather than set it up carefully I'll take it as the turn into me from the bottom when I'm in mount or side control, since most people think they're safe if they can get their hand under your legs (which gives you the Baratoplata).

I believe that this is the way that Caio Terra set it up against Nam Phan at the Expo recently.

It's very high percentage. My most used set up is off them defending a darce from knee on belly

I play a triangle/brabo oriented game from knee on belly/knee on neck all the time. Why I've never started using this move, I just don't know. It fits perfectly.

You can't use this in tournaments until brown belt, correct?

At this years Nogi Pans a blue belt hit a beautiful barataplata and the ref DQ'd him because the ref was an idiot. I think now that its getting more popular refs will understand that it is a shoulder lock not a slicer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back