International The ex-Barclays Banker Exposed as Epstein's 'Most Cherished Friend', Fined $2.2m, Banned From Sector

Siver!

Sedriques Dumbass Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ex-barclays-bank-chief-insisted-102705249.html

The controversial ex-CEO of Barclays will pay a major fine after texts and emails showed the extent of his relationship with the financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Jes Staley, who ran the major U.K. bank between 2015 and 2021, was hit with a £1.8 million ($2.2 million) fine by the U.K.’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and banned from holding senior positions in the financial services industry.

The FCA released a 79-page dossier outlining its extensive three-year investigation into the U.S. banker’s ties with Epstein.

Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to charges including soliciting sex from girls as young as 14, and was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

He was arrested in July 2019 on federal charges tied to sex trafficking but died in custody a month later before the case went to trial. Investigators concluded he died by suicide.

Before his arrest, Epstein kept high-profile company, including Prince Andrew and, as the FCA has concluded, former Barclays boss Staley.

‘Recklessly approved’ letter
The FCA said Staley “recklessly approved” a 2019 letter sent by Barclays to the financial watchdog, which contained two misleading statements.

Staley had said during the investigations that he never had a close relationship with Epstein and that his last contact with him was “well before he joined Barclays” in October 2015.

However, the FCA discovered a communication line that included 1,100 email exchanges between 2008 and 2012, during which Staley described Epstein as one of his “most cherished” friends.

Staley also visited Epstein’s island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, a hub for Epstein’s alleged sex trafficking operation, in April 2015, his third visit to the island during his friendship with Epstein.

In July 2015, Epstein emailed Staley, saying: “Better if you not email me. Phone only.” Staley proceeded to send blank emails to Epstein on two occasions with the subject headings “Call my cell” and “Call me.”

He resigned in November 2021 after the Barclays board determined his position was “untenable” following a review of the FCA’s preliminary findings from its investigation.

The fine is close to Staley’s salary of £2.4 million ($2.9 million) while he headed the bank. Barclays froze payouts to Staley in February last year while the FCA investigated his ties to Epstein, but said it would continue to pay his salary.

On Thursday, Barclays said that Staley should forgo bonuses and long-term share incentives worth £17.8 million ($21.7 million) in the wake of the FCA’s ruling, the BBC reported.

Staley intends to appeal the decision.

Representatives for the former Barclays boss didn’t immediately respond to Fortune's request for comment.

However, in a statement provided to The Guardian by his lawyers, Staley said: “If I had known who JE [Jeffrey Epstein] really was, there is absolutely no doubt that I wouldn’t be in the position I am in today. Prior to undertaking my former role, it was known that I had had a relationship with JE.

“I have worked tirelessly over the last 43 years and have genuinely supported many people/social causes, where others might not have done so. I am very disappointed by the FCA’s decision, and I will continue to challenge it. I will not comment any further until these proceedings are concluded.”

----

I'm assuming this story got missed, because the meme thread still gets the 'we'll never know the clients' treatment.

This particular banker visited Epstein's island 3 times, but soon tried to hide his relationship with Epstein by demanding phone calls instead of emails, and lying to Barclays and the Financial Conduct Authority.

Have at it: will the dominoes begin to tumble now?

The controversial ex-CEO of Barclays will pay a major fine after texts and emails showed the extent of his relationship with the financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Jes Staley, who ran the major U.K. bank between 2015 and 2021, was hit with a £1.8 million ($2.2 million) fine by the U.K.’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and banned from holding senior positions in the financial services industry.

The FCA released a 79-page dossier outlining its extensive three-year investigation into the U.S. banker’s ties with Epstein.

Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to charges including soliciting sex from girls as young as 14, and was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

He was arrested in July 2019 on federal charges tied to sex trafficking but died in custody a month later before the case went to trial. Investigators concluded he died by suicide.

Before his arrest, Epstein kept high-profile company, including Prince Andrew and, as the FCA has concluded, former Barclays boss Staley.

The FCA said Staley “recklessly approved” a 2019 letter sent by Barclays to the financial watchdog, which contained two misleading statements.

Staley had said during the investigations that he never had a close relationship with Epstein and that his last contact with him was “well before he joined Barclays” in October 2015.

However, the FCA discovered a communication line that included 1,100 email exchanges between 2008 and 2012, during which Staley described Epstein as one of his “most cherished” friends.

Staley also visited Epstein’s island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, a hub for Epstein’s alleged sex trafficking operation, in April 2015, his third visit to the island during his friendship with Epstein.

In July 2015, Epstein emailed Staley, saying: “Better if you not email me. Phone only.” Staley proceeded to send blank emails to Epstein on two occasions with the subject headings “Call my cell” and “Call me.”

He resigned in November 2021 after the Barclays board determined his position was “untenable” following a review of the FCA’s preliminary findings from its investigation.

The fine is close to Staley’s salary of £2.4 million ($2.9 million) while he headed the bank. Barclays froze payouts to Staley in February last year while the FCA investigated his ties to Epstein, but said it would continue to pay his salary.

On Thursday, Barclays said that Staley should forgo bonuses and long-term share incentives worth £17.8 million ($21.7 million) in the wake of the FCA’s ruling, the BBC reported.

Representatives for the former Barclays boss didn’t immediately respond to Fortune's request for comment.

However, in a statement provided to The Guardian by his lawyers, Staley said: “If I had known who JE [Jeffrey Epstein] really was, there is absolutely no doubt that I wouldn’t be in the position I am in today. Prior to undertaking my former role, it was known that I had had a relationship with JE.

“I have worked tirelessly over the last 43 years and have genuinely supported many people/social causes, where others might not have done so. I am very disappointed by the FCA’s decision, and I will continue to challenge it. I will not comment any further until these proceedings are concluded.”

----

I'm assuming this story got missed, because the meme thread still gets the 'we'll never know the clients' treatment.

This particular banker visited Epstein's island 3 times, but soon tried to hide his relationship with Epstein by demanding phone calls instead of emails, and lying to Barclays and the Financial Conduct Authority.

I hate that 2.2 m is a lot of money to everyone reading this website but to this guy it's probably just a weekend Paris shopping spree for his underage mistress.

----

It's just a financial penalty. Why should they care?

----

It does not seem to be that much of a domino to me. The accusations against Staley so far all relate to fiduciary duty. In the above case, the FCA found that he lied to them. The FCA tends not to like that very much and they probably also like to be seen to be doing something in such a high profile case.

The potential financial hits against Staley continue to add up. In addition to Barclay's attempting to withhold bonus and LTI, JP Morgan has taken a maximalist (if unlikely to succeed) position to claw back most of his compensation during his time at that firm.

https://www.ft.com/content/0b6d547f-382e-46ed-939f-3f571d90e376

This feels like a fairly narrow set of circumstances that is unlikely to apply to very many other people. Plus all the cases are civil, at least to date.

It does not seem to be that much of a domino to me. The accusations against Staley so far all relate to fiduciary duty. In the above case, the FCA found that he lied to them. The FCA tends not to like that very much and they probably also like to be seen to be doing something in such a high profile case.

The potential financial hits against Staley continue to add up. In addition to Barclay's attempting to withhold bonus and LTI, JP Morgan has taken a maximalist (if unlikely to succeed) position to claw back most of his compensation during his time at that firm.

https://www.ft.com/content/0b6d547f-382e-46ed-939f-3f571d90e376

This feels like a fairly narrow set of circumstances that is unlikely to apply to very many other people. Plus all the cases are civil, at least to date.

I just wonder if it were to be pursued, would he name names?

Probably not and probably an unlikely scenario, but I hope someone is investigating his relationship beyond his statements to Barclays.

Probably not and probably an unlikely scenario, but I hope someone is investigating his relationship beyond his statements to Barclays.
If he dared to name names, he would have an “accident”. I also think many are afraid to name names because of fear for what may happen to their families as well.

From the outside, I don't see his motivation to "name names". He is in his 60's. He was probably going to retire soon anyway. His new non-optional retirement hobby will be to fight Barclays and JP Morgan in court to get/keep his money. He is probably going to still be rich at the end of it all. His reputation is already ruined.

I don't see anything reported that relates to sex crime charges against him and so there is no reason for him to ever say anything, especially since he would almost certainly incriminate himself. "I know that famous person X fucked a 16 year old because I was there watching" is not a great tactic.

I am pessimistic about many new criminal charges in the case. Major media outlets have reported lots of information related to who travelled to Epstein island but actually making a criminal case will involve all sorts of corroboration that seems difficult.

Maybe Maxwell really does have some evidence tucked away and will decide that prison life does not suit her.

Like you, I hope that all of those scumbags are being investigated and will be eventually brought to justice. I am feeling pessimistic about it though.

Last edited:
Back