The evolution of wrestling-based striking

that Indian

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Most wrestlers use strikes to engage the wrestling (striking-based wrestling), but by wrestling-based striking, I mean using the threat of wrestling to create and exploit striking opportunities that would normally not be available.

This goes back to the beginnings of MMA. It's why Randleman was able to KO Crocop, why Woodley out-struck Thompson and Hill and why DC KO'd Miocic. Frankie Edgar also did WBS extremely well, but I think Islam is currently leading the evolution here. He was able to land a high kick on Volk that far better pure strikers like Holloway, Aldo and Yair could not.

Not all wrestlers use WBS. Aaron Pico is an excellent wrestler and striker but he seems to be either doing one or the other. Same with Khamzat.

I wonder if someone can break this down further. I am convinced that there are unique striking opportunities made available to someone who presents the threat of wrestling. Logically, a striker lacking a strong ability to counter-wrestle will always be susceptible to WBS.

Back