The era of the Brazilian Light Heavyweight...

uolen

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
... is (most likely) coming to an end. At least for the near future.

Now I know that the next title challenger is a Brazilian and if last week taught us ANYTHING it's to not count out anybody but I'm sorry. Glover is a great fighter but I simply do not believe he has what it takes to beat Jones (I know I know people-myself included- thought the same way about Gus).

And beyond him there isn't anybody left. Lyoto is moving to MW. Shogun and Nogueira are near spent at this point. Thiago Silva? Feijao? Riiiiight.

Obviously there will be brighter days for them at some point in the future but this will be the first time in well over a decade without a Brazilian at or near the top of the division. Ever since Wanderlei Silva knocked out Sakuraba to become the Pride Middleweight Champion there has always been a Brazilian either at number 1 or in the immediate stream of contendership to get there. And usually more than one. From Wandy's heydey Shogun's GP run to the Machida era. more than a Decade of very tough men from Brazil terrorizing the division.

Sad to see it end in a way despite not being Brazilian.

Its just a shame no Brazilian can ever compete again at LHW and become a contender...:rolleyes:

I respect a fighter based on ability, not race or where they come from.

Genki+Sudo+3.jpg

I am not sadden by this at all. All that means is that MMA is growing more popular as a sport and more and more cultures are becoming Great at MMA. In turns means more exciting fights for us. I don't care if you are from Pakistan but if you can throw down with the best of them, I will tune into your fights.

My Gut feeling says Glover wins

It also says Hendricks and Weidman win. No answer on Cain/JDS though, it's just too close.

Dudes get old, younger dudes will take their place. Nationality doesn't come into it. They still make babies out there in Brazil ya know.

I am not sadden by this at all. All that means is that MMA is growing more popular as a sport and more and more cultures are becoming Great at MMA. In turns means more exciting fights for us. I don't care if you are from Pakistan but if you can throw down with the best of them, I will tune into your fights.

This is a good point and of course I agree. I can't say I'm honestly TRULY saddened by it. More of a nostalgia thing I guess.

Dudes get old, younger dudes will take their place. Nationality doesn't come into it. They still make babies out there in Brazil ya know.

yes I understand that and I mentioned in my OP that there will be brighter days but this will be the first time since the vast majority of us started watching MMA that There won't be a Brazilian at or near the top. I just thought that was interesting.

My Gut feeling says Glover wins

It also says Hendricks and Weidman win. No answer on Cain/JDS though, it's just too close.

I think Jones is going to stomp Glover. I think Anderson will win the rematch with Weidman. But part of me thinks Hendricks will KO GSP in the 1st with a left.

According to mmaplayground Teixeira is ranked #3, Machida #4, Nog #8, with honourable mentions to Shogun and Belfort. I take your point, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. What if Glover wins or has a good showing vs. Jones? He'll still be top 3. Machida and Belfort could move up or stay at lhw and contend for the belt too.

Back