the "duck under sweep" from 1/2guard: answer to brabo chokes?

B

blanko

the duck under sweep from traditional half guard has been a great counter against the brabo choke for me lately. Ofcourse if the choke is sunk in then he is gonna tap you but if he is in the process of brabo choking you (gi and no gi) the duck under sweep seems like a great counter. What do you think?

the duck under sweep from traditional half guard has been a great counter against the brabo choke for me lately. Ofcourse if the choke is sunk in then he is gonna tap you but if he is in the process of brabo choking you (gi and no gi) the duck under sweep seems like a great counter. What do you think?

Can you briefly describe it? I think I knwo what you mean, but just to be sure...

so you are trying to do the basic "old school"/Knee tap sweep from the traditional half guard. Your opponent tries to brabo choke you by either feeding your gi skirt in gi or by wizzering your arm in no gi.

You "duck/roll" INTO/UNDER your oppoent and sweep him.

Yes and no - If you can pull the sweep off its good.. But if his arm is far enough through to pull off a brabo he can still choke you from the bottom.

Blank try this - Next time you feel the arm sliding through your underhook for the brabo Pinch your elbow to your side as tight as you can to stop the arm from going in any further. Open your half guard but keep your inside leg on top of your opponents leg that is in the half guard. Rock your outside leg out wide and hard and rock your opponent in the direction of his now trapped arm.(think pendulum sweep) It usually results in a pretty simple sweep to bring you on top. Its the same idea as the duck under sweep.

The other solution i use is when i have the underhook and i feel his arm coming in for the brabo i throw the elbow of my underhook Up and out as if i was trying to Elbow someone in the face behind me who was taller then me. Throw it as hard as you can and it causes him.. to have to use the arm that was feeding in.. to base.. other wise he will fall over onto his face.

I use the sweep all the time to counter the brabo. I agree with Gsoares2. Why let him get the deep grip? You can pull off the sweep by trapping his arm before he gets his grip.

I use this all the time too. A key detail is that you don't want to keep the underhook when you begin the sweep (tho it still works). Instead you should clamp your arm down right on top of his whizzering arm, hugging it to your chest. Then dive and roll.

The arm clamp makes the sweep very tough to avoid.

If the brabo choke is the underhook killer, I find this sweep is the brabo killer.

Gsoares2,

you mean like a pendulum sweep from the half guard?

This sweep is tough to get once they have started sprawling on you to finish the choke.

But otherwise I do it from half butterfly guard. Not a lot of success with it so far, probably because I don't bring my hips under my oponent enough. But I'm working on it.

yea i initiate the sweep the moment i feel my opponent go for a brabo choke of any kind.

Gsoares2,

you mean like a pendulum sweep from the half guard?

No i just mean the momentum you create by swinging your leg out - Instead of doing the duck under.. Grab at the guys knee(the one not in halfguard) use that grip along with your outside leg to generate the momentum for the sweep.

Ive swept a number of blackbelts with the sweep. So im pretty confident in it.

I'm not sure if I'm familiar w/ either of the 1/2 guard seeps being discussed. I tried googling for this duckunder 1/2 guard sweep and didn't really find anything. Could someone help out the less informed by posting an idiots guide to these sweeps? Thanks in advance!

No i just mean the momentum you create by swinging your leg out - Instead of doing the duck under.. Grab at the guys knee(the one not in halfguard) use that grip along with your outside leg to generate the momentum for the sweep.

Ive swept a number of blackbelts with the sweep. So im pretty confident in it.

I've had some problems hitting this version of the sweep, so I was hoping you could maybe answer some questions.

Are you flat on your back and trying to get your hips under him when you swing your leg, or are you starting from your side?

And with your grip on the knee are you locking your arm out or using the grip to drive him over?

I'm not sure if I'm familiar w/ either of the 1/2 guard seeps being discussed. I tried googling for this duckunder 1/2 guard sweep and didn't really find anything. Could someone help out the less informed by posting an idiots guide to these sweeps? Thanks in advance!

Duck under 1/2 guard sweep:

1) You are in traditional half-guard with the underhook on the same side as the opponent's trapped leg.

2) To counter your underhook and to prevent his back getting taken. The opponent wizzers your underhooking arm and grabs your collar. He then goes for the brabo choke (you can find tons of info on this choke on the internet if you don't know what it is).

3) To counter the choke attempt you do this sweep. Your underhooking arm clamps down on his wizzering arm (trapping it against your body). Your other arm grabs his gi at the knees (his non-trapped leg) or you can hook his knee as well. You then roll him towards the side of his trapped arm.

4) The motion is more like you scooting your hips underneath his legs... basically ducking under the guy's base.

Ask your instructor for further details.

Back