• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The curious case of Michael Johnson

Wrestler who fell in love with his striking.
Bad takedown defense, bad submission defense.

Super fast, but once you figured out his patterns and how to avoid the left hand, you had a good path to victory

His problem mostly is due to pressure or if he can't get the finish and it turns into a dog fight. He has problems with forward pressure fighters and getting into fights in the pocket. He hits hard but also doesn't respond well to damage and he starts to fall back once he starts getting hit. Nate Diaz and Gaethje fight are prime examples of this. Also if you can take him down and control him like Khabib did to use ground n pound/submissions.

Personally I think he peaked early and then couldnt keep mentally focussed to continue his success.

The fact that Khabib even stood and traded with MJ for as long as he did is amazing, Khabib GOAT.

<JRSmith40>

The only consistent thing about Michael Johnson is that he is inconsistent

Yeah, dude constantly folded against dogshit opponents like Reza Medadi, but beat Ferguson cleanly over 25 minutes, KO'd a roided Tibau, beat Barboza, KO'd Poirier and almost beat Gaethje.

One of the biggest cases of wasted potential ever.

He was my dark-horse pick to be LW champion after I saw him beat Barboza. It wasn't just that he beat Barboza but it was the WAY he beat Barboza. Nobody that done that to him before at that point. But, he had some mental issues that seemed to prevent him from clicking in a lot of major fights. He definitely could've benefitted from a sport psychologist.

As for the Khabib fight, I need to watch the whole first round from the beginning. I remember thinking Khabib was rocked, but seeing the replay without audio makes it appear as though he was just wobbled a little bit.

Wrestler who fell in love with his striking.
Bad takedown defense, bad submission defense.

Super fast, but once you figured out his patterns and how to avoid the left hand, you had a good path to victory
Right on. He also has that Rumble / Vitor / other Hooft-Bkackzillians thing going on: being a front-runner who folds when the fight isn't going his way AND/OR loses by easily getting drawn into his opponent's fight plan.

And the only one to (reportedly) ever KO Kamaru Usman (Although unofficially)

I believe it. Johnson is the type of guy that will eventually catch you in sparring if you put in enough hours with him. He goes hard in practice too.

This dude fascinates me. He's 19-17 and it's been 4 years since his last relevant win yet he's KO'ed Poirier, Tibau and decisioned Ferg and Barboza. He's also the only man to legit rock Khabib. When you watch him fight, he's very athletic, fast and powerful hands, but he can never seem to put it together. One of the most gifted athletes who just can't get it right.

For the love of God can we stop saying Johnson rocked Khabib? You can watch it in slow motion virtually nothing happened, contact was minimal and Khabib was not even stunned let alone hurt. Its just a crazy made up thing that gets repeated.

Johnson is a fast power puncher with terrible grappling and poor fight IQ.

If you fight a couple dozen times with those qualities, you will pull out a few flashy wins and a lot of losses. Its the least complicated story in MMA.

The only consistent thing about Michael Johnson is that he is inconsistent
black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

Fun fact, they called me to fight him on 2wks notice once for like $500 in Springfield, MO. I was barely training and worked night shift 40+ hrs a week. I almost took it anyways because he had a lot of submission losses early on and usually went for the TD first, I was good in that regard, but seen some of his wins also and seen what happens if you cant sub him…..then said no thank you!

He turned a corner regionally prior to TUF and idk what happened but he thrived on that show, earned GSPs respect, and destroyed LWs in the UFC.
How did 6’4 260 pound sherdogger get offered to fight a manlet? Smh.

This dude fascinates me. He's 19-17 and it's been 4 years since his last relevant win yet he's KO'ed Poirier, Tibau and decisioned Ferg and Barboza. He's also the only man to legit rock Khabib. When you watch him fight, he's very athletic, fast and powerful hands, but he can never seem to put it together. One of the most gifted athletes who just can't get it right.

He didn't rock Khabib, he tagged him. It was a good shot that didn't do much.

Don't confuse Joe Rogan's hysterical screaming with what actually happened from the punch. Which was not much.

Fun fact, they called me to fight him on 2wks notice once for like $500 in Springfield, MO. I was barely training and worked night shift 40+ hrs a week. I almost took it anyways because he had a lot of submission losses early on and usually went for the TD first, I was good in that regard, but seen some of his wins also and seen what happens if you cant sub him…..then said no thank you!

He turned a corner regionally prior to TUF and idk what happened but he thrived on that show, earned GSPs respect, and destroyed LWs in the UFC.
I lived in Springfield half my life. Crazy post. I know Zak Cummings is out there.

Vaguely reminiscent of Vitor. BJJ black belt, lightning hands, inconsistent.

How come we never say “The Old Michael Johnson is back!”
It just hasn't happened yet bro.

<mma4>

Back