News The Chris' striking coach Ray Longo said odds are stacked against Conor, picked Cerrone to win.

Well if there's one striking coach that has NO clue about striking, or at least can't teach his pupils, it's Ray Longo. So I would take this with a whole swimmingpool of salt.
He produced 2 champs in 2 different weight classes that ko'd legends

How do you learn striking from a guy that looks like that?

I disagree, maybe you look like that, but me and my fellow sherdoggers are more close to that mate
Weigh-in_crop_650x440.jpg

but with better pec insertions of course, ubereem's pecs are too BETA for us.

We are of similar build, but I would still class him as a manlet

View attachment 707865

There have been many different opinions about the upcoming fight between former Champ Champ Conor Mcgregor and Cowboy Donald Cerrone. It's an interesting situation because both men are coming off a loss but the consensus seems to be that McGregor is the huge favorite while Cowboy is merely a "tune-up" fight for him. This sentiment has angered UFC President Dana White, who was appalled at the "level of disrespect" shown to Cerrone. Famed coach Ray Longo agrees that Cowboy has been overlooked by the masses.

Showing up as a guest on the Anik & Florian podcast recently, Chris Weidman's striking coach Ray Longo picked Donald Cerrone to emerge victorious in the UFC 246 main event as well as giving his take on why Cowboy could end up scoring a victory over McGregor.

“I really like Cerrone’s chances in this fight,” Longo said when discussing Donald Cerrone’s odds against Conor McGregor. “And like again, the only thing that could beat Donald Cerrone is just father time. He’s getting up there a little bit, but I’m saying the Donald Cerrone of a couple of years ago is winning that fight and I really believe he’s winning this fight. I think he’s got more ways to win and he’s definitely competitive. He’s been active. I think he’s taken enough of a break where he should come in fresh and we’ll see what happens.”

As far as McGregor is concerned, Longo is of the belief that the “Notorious” one has his back against the wall and is feeling the pressure to produce more so than “Cowboy.”

“You know McGregor’s had a long layoff,” Longo continued. “He hasn’t had a win in a couple of years. I think the pressure’s on McGregor more than it’s on Cerrone by all means.”
Longo and Serra HATE McGregor, so I'm skeptical of Longo's pick here.

However, I'm also picking Cowboy to win by stoppage.

I hope hes right but I just get this feeling ,Cerrone gets finished early. Conor taking this fight at 170, imo, is the best thing going in Cerrones corner. However, I think layoff helps McGregor here as hes still in prime and the weight put on now is more natural so if he does clip Donald early, this could be quick.
Cerrones best chance is to get this to the 3rd round. I believe Conor labors faster with lactic acid build up and his arms will become heavy the longer the fight goes.

Well if there's one striking coach that has NO clue about striking, or at least can't teach his pupils, it's Ray Longo. So I would take this with a whole swimmingpool of salt.
Nah he's a good striking coach, but like Serra his emotional and biased opinions make him look like and idiot most of the time.

They obviously hate Conor.

View attachment 707865

There have been many different opinions about the upcoming fight between former Champ Champ Conor Mcgregor and Cowboy Donald Cerrone. It's an interesting situation because both men are coming off a loss but the consensus seems to be that McGregor is the huge favorite while Cowboy is merely a "tune-up" fight for him. This sentiment has angered UFC President Dana White, who was appalled at the "level of disrespect" shown to Cerrone. Famed coach Ray Longo agrees that Cowboy has been overlooked by the masses.

Showing up as a guest on the Anik & Florian podcast recently, Chris Weidman's striking coach Ray Longo picked Donald Cerrone to emerge victorious in the UFC 246 main event as well as giving his take on why Cowboy could end up scoring a victory over McGregor.

“I really like Cerrone’s chances in this fight,” Longo said when discussing Donald Cerrone’s odds against Conor McGregor. “And like again, the only thing that could beat Donald Cerrone is just father time. He’s getting up there a little bit, but I’m saying the Donald Cerrone of a couple of years ago is winning that fight and I really believe he’s winning this fight. I think he’s got more ways to win and he’s definitely competitive. He’s been active. I think he’s taken enough of a break where he should come in fresh and we’ll see what happens.”

As far as McGregor is concerned, Longo is of the belief that the “Notorious” one has his back against the wall and is feeling the pressure to produce more so than “Cowboy.”

“You know McGregor’s had a long layoff,” Longo continued. “He hasn’t had a win in a couple of years. I think the pressure’s on McGregor more than it’s on Cerrone by all means.”

This is pretty stupid. Conor is much much much better fighter than Cowboy. Just because someone's more well rounded, doesn't mean he's a better fighter. For example, Eddie is more well rounded even more than Cowboy, or just as much. or Aldo. or Chad.

It's the other way around. The only way Conor loses is himself. I'm not sure gaining that much muscle after such a huge lay off is a good thing.

Conor is much better than people give him credit for. This coming from a guy who had a fighter who was coming off a lay off longer than a year and then knocked the fudge out the guy who UFC was selling as the GOAT.

"Chris Weidman's striking coach Ray Longo"............. that'll be the Chris Weidman that picked Conor to lose to Mendez, Aldo, Alverez etc... etc.

Uhh... He taught a wrestler to KO Silva and outstrike Machida. He taught a BJJ guy to KO GSP.

Sounds like he knows how to teach people to strike...

I think Ray is just still pissed at Conor for all the insults he threw at his boy Ragin' Al. I doubt he'll invest any real money on a Cowboy bet.

I agree with him.

Conor is going to lose next Saturday, and that will be the last time anyone takes him seriously.
You had the first part right... but Sherdog loves fondling Conor’s nuts too much to ever not care about him or take him seriously regardless of his lack of winning

You had the first part right... but Sherdog loves fondling Conor’s nuts too much to ever not care about him or take him seriously regardless of his lack of winning
Don't know about that. If Conor loses this, his stock takes a major fall. However, even a questionable decision victory, and the fondling will continue. Hoping for the former.

Common sense says Cerrone. But too many variables...

No offense, but how many Cerrone fights have you seen?

His best days are well behind him. He's been one of my favorite strikers for ages, hence I know he's not nearly as good as he used to be.
He tends to start slow and stiff these days, and well, we all know how fast Conor can start...

Back